Home

NHL 18 worth buying?

This is a discussion on NHL 18 worth buying? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NHL 18 worth buying?

I played nhl 17 and was not a fan but saw nhl 18 on sale for 19.00 and was wondering if it’s better then last years

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: NHL 18 worth buying?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not huge on hockey but enjoy watching it. Some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJKU412
I played nhl 17 and was not a fan but saw nhl 18 on sale for 19.00 and was wondering if it’s better then last years

Depends on what you like to play... If you want dangle/deke fest and unrealistic hockey play online EAHSL mode.. If you like realistic hockey then play FRANCHISE mode.

This game is great with the right sliders in play(depending on how you play).

Its well worth $19.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Rookie

Any good slider recommendations

Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1

If you didn't like NHL 17, I'm not sure there's enough 'new' that will change your mind about 18. As was stated above, it depends on what mode you like to play. I haven't played much offline because those modes just aren't in-depth enough for me. The BAP is as bare bones as it gets and grows stale quickly.

It seems people have been getting mileage out of Franchise Mode with slider tweaks.

I play primarily EASHL and aside from some minor improvements to AI, it's very much the same as years' past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
NHL 18 worth buying?

I really liked nhl 17 ( played only cpu offline) because it had really good ai for the most part. Nhl 18’s ai took a step back imo and for one reason....the cpu over-passes.

They are not over accurate when passing but they pass it around mindlessly and they do not shoot at the right times, ESPECIALLY defensemen. Cpu dmen just love to sling passes around the offensive zone and it doesnt look like how dmen play in real life.

I edit cpu dmen strategy to shoot ( all the way to the right) but it still overpasses. This was NOT the case last year where the cpu dmen shot plenty and at the appropriate times.

This is a HUGE part of gameplay because now there are less cpu dmen goals, less deflections and less rebound and scramble situations. It is too bad, because i like some of the new features of 18, but this glaring flaw alone really damages the offline experience for me.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 02-22-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:06 AM   #7
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJKU412
Any good slider recommendations

TNK NHL 18 All star sliders are what I use and they are very realistic IMO. Use the in franchise as they were intended, also do not spam the poke check button, play defense and play real hockey. Ice the puck if you need to, when your goalie has the puck do not pass it , almost always freeze it and take the faceoff. Dump the puck in the zone, and cycle and pass the puck around and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well these play in franchise mode. Good luck , let me know how you feel after 5 or 10 games. One other thing. I think TNK plays 12 minute periods but I do 10, that is the only thing I do differently on his sliders, all others are exactly as his OP

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »