Home

NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
Development teams, especially this one, recently have been cutting modes/features to put more effort into online modes/features. The Show cut season mode, but didn't tell anyone. This team has a real mixed history in terms of sticking with plans/ideas/features, so I'm just hoping they don't surprise us with a "well, we took it out so we could add in more colorful masks in the WORLD OF CHEL."

Offline players are not factors in decision-making, unfortunately, so I'm just hoping we're not all surprised on release day like The Show fans were.
This is true. You never really know. The thing is though that the franchise mode in MLB the show allows you to control all 30 teams so if you want to you can basically play it like a season mode. It’s even better actually because you can control everything and sim way beyond that if you like. Sort of like the my league mode in NBA2k.

I actually wish the NHL series would allow us to control all 31/32 teams in franchise mode, but since they don’t it makes season mode all the more important. If EA took season mode out I’d be livid as I usually play a few seasons in season mode yearly. I even found a way import 17 year old rookies into my season modes using custom teams and I have my own draft based off the previous season rankings and everything.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #58
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
It's a bummer too. The offline gameplay suffers because so much time is put into refinements that will attract the online crowd. Even player customization shows it. We didn't get better customization until it was created for the online players. Then offline got the ability to add multi-colored visors and create red skate runners with neon green laces and matching stick tape.

Meanwhile the ability to make a custom player that looks anything remotely like their real life counterpart is still nowhere to be seen as NHL remains one of the few games that still forces you to use pre-created 3D head models in the year 2018. Even if you could make them, you still can't share them with others, so your creations are stuck in your own little world. It wouldn't be so bad if EA had either the inclination or manpower to create better looking rosters (looking at the player models by comparison in The Show is depressing. A guy who's a bench short-stop in baseball gets a more accurate player face than Colton Parayko does as an NHL starting defender...)

EA's game has always had so much potential, but it's been squandered by EA locking away customization and letting offline play stagnate at the expense of online focused gameplay modes. Things like "Create a Team" are hampered by the fact that you get very little in the way of actual customization (Games like NBA 2K blow it away in terms of what you can do, with the ability to import graphics and designs for use) and even if you do find a suitable team logo and make something...your team name will probably be awful. I wanted to make a team for Milwaukee, and went to create the Milwaukee Fox...buuuuuuuut, something as relatively basic as a Fox wasn't in there. I did have the option to be the "Fear the Beards" or the "Deke and Destroys"...but not Fox.

It's the little things like that which become incredible frustrating. I don't mind that there's a fun element to the game. I think it's awesome that the NHL series can draw people in. Hell, I was one of those people who got interested in hockey way back with NHL 06, and slowly grew to better understand the game and want a more realistic experience. But I've become the last person the EA team is focused on. Now they pretty much exclusively cater to the audience that wants neon skates and visors, funny gloves and goofy team slogans, instead of aiming for both.
Very well said This is my hope as well. I’d like see NHL try to replicate the customization that NBA2k offers. Heck just allowing us to control all 31 teams in franchise mode would be a step in the right direction. An NHL version of 2k’s My league mode would be a dream come true. Roster sharing is an addition that I would really look forward to.

I would definitely contribute to the community as I have made a ton of classic and historic rosters for myself on NHL 18. Doing offseason rosters would be no problem for me and I would definitely work on some classic rosters to share with people as well. I’m so desperate for feedback on my rosters that I’ve even offered to send people flash drives with my saved data on it just so I can share them lol.It would be nice If NHL allowed me to be somewhat rewarded for my work.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #59
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

Oh no EA..
Why?

I must say it was strange to come back from a month away and see this presentation of NHL 19.

I dont know how to feel.. Laugh or cry.. I.. dont know.

It's extremely jarring to watch a short feature presentation where their main selling points is NHL 1 on 1's.

If your main product is professional hockey you should promote this to your fans.

Not the add on new aternate way you can express your inner kid want to be hockey god.

Now it feels more like EA NHL wants to find a way to be more like fortnite with hockeysticks.

Yes the main concept is just blatant theft of the NBA2k Pro-am mode just with a different sport.

And I am happy that this sort of teases the idea that we might see more Goalie gear (mask creation?)

I am also glad for new skating and the rumors that they are looking at how to make goalies better (though I think this is just for the AI and not for those of us who like to actually play the Goal-warden)
This saddens me even more when I hear they are not even touching be a pro.

And franchise is still just barebones???

What the h¤#l went wrong?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #60
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwolf
Oh no EA..

And I am happy that this sort of teases the idea that we might see more Goalie gear (mask creation?)

What the h¤#l went wrong?
I’m not even sure the creation option is in. It sounds more like it’s things you unlock rather than create. It’s my belief and I feel like I’ve alreasy read it somewhere that those things, created or unlocked are not transferable to Franchise, Season mode, or EASHL... Only for the silly 1s, 3s, and the Pro Am. As usual EA releases half finished modes and features
Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #61
Rookie

PhillyGuy11826's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
Something tells me this year, that this could be it for this particular development team. I did notice they have a new creative director I believe next to Rammer running the show.

They are trying for the second consecutive year to bring in more casual players and people to play online with these gimmick online modes or NHL 3s Arcade stuff that have been done with NHL Hitz and other games in the past.

I have to give DJNEO props for the second consecutive year once the features were revealed. They are taking this game in the wrong direction if you are a sim player or someone like myself that only plays offline modes.

I touched NHL 3s I think twice.

I like the real player motion from the 2 second clip of Crosby that was shown and Patrick Kane...other than that, I mean I can't believe this is it. Seems like Live and NHL series are tied to the hip. No Frostbite, just the real player motion.

Lets hope there is more, but I think we all know for the most part, this is it. Goalie animations looked exactly the same from the trailer(Yes I know it's a trailer, still tho) and probably still get beat with the same goals over and over...ugh

I also detest the 'Chel slogan.

I missed this from the other day. But you bring up really great points.

I wonder if they're catering to the casuals more because of the way the hardcore fans of the series reacted to NHL 15. To have a game released like that after you said you skipped the launch window of the next gen consoles to come out better for the next year....man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #62
Pro

TSOLEliot's Arena

OVR: 12

I was hoping for a Rostershare feature or at least the ability to control all the franchises to somewhat resemble an NHL season. I did enjoy '18 but it was frustrating not having accurate rosters. I like Legacy but not having realistic conferences without getting rid of a team stinks.

Obviously, these sim features don't mean much in terms of the bottom line which is why we get more remanufactured gimmicks to hopefully bring in new fans. I will not be shooting a wrister in a trucker hat and parka this year into the frozen tundra.

NFL- Eagles
NHL- Flyers
NCAA- Fresno State
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #63
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
NHL 19 Hands-On: NHL May Suddenly be Poised to Become EA's Best Sports Sim

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nhl-19-hands-on-review
There is a quote in this article that I found really odd.

The look is meant to pull in fans who aren't necessarily into the NHL, Ramjasingh says. "There are some players who don't relate to the league, but love hockey."

Maybe it's just me but is this kinda weird? They are trying to appeal to hockey fans that aren't into the NHL in an NHL game? Also, how big could the market for hockey fans that don't like the NHL be?
Golden State Warriors
Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #64
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
There is a quote in this article that I found really odd.

The look is meant to pull in fans who aren't necessarily into the NHL, Ramjasingh says. "There are some players who don't relate to the league, but love hockey."

Maybe it's just me but is this kinda weird? They are trying to appeal to hockey fans that aren't into the NHL in an NHL game? Also, how big could the market for hockey fans that don't like the NHL be?
I think EA has been intentionally leaning the game towards the more casual audience for a while now. For better or worse, I imagine it's what they're banking on to keep the money coming in for the franchise.

While offline gamers pay a flat ~$60 once, the online crowd stands to make them more money from card pack purchases and the online advertising.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that the greater powers at EA have been guiding the development team in that direction for a while now in an effort to keep the title profitable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »