Home

NHL 19 Open Beta Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here - Extended to August 3

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Open Beta Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here - Extended to August 3 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 07-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #33
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 19 Open Beta Available Now on Both Xbox One & PS4, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMSfan77
With no human vs cpu in this Beta, it leads me to believe that the focus for NHL 19 is solely for online play (human vs human). This is such a bummer.
The main purpose of the beta is to stress test the online portion of the game. So it makes sense to just roll the gameplay feedback into the online stress testing to get the max number of people. But yeah, online modes are definitely the main emphasis of the series—it's where the revenue is. I wish they could have thrown us a bone like putting practice mode in at least.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #34
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 19 Open Beta Available Now on Both Xbox One & PS4, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The main purpose of the beta is to stress test the online portion of the game. So it makes sense to just roll the gameplay feedback into the online stress testing to get the max number of people. But yeah, online modes are definitely the main emphasis of the series—it's where the revenue is. I wish they could have thrown us a bone like putting practice mode in at least.
Making offline modes available would defeat the purpose of the beta.

If they called this a demo, I could understand complaints.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #35
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

OVR: 0

Plenty of other betas have offline modes. Even Madden did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #36
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15

Getting a ton of lag in 1’s and 3’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #37
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9
The movement is amazing. Having fun messing around with 1's ?*
Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #38
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

WOW! Feels like a different game, it's amazing. I am thoroughly impressed with many facets of the game:

Skating: Obviously feels leaps and bounds better. Cuts, stop-and-goes, accelerating, lateral movements, ALL feel smooth and snappy. It's pretty evident they used Connor McDavid for much of the MoCap.

AI: Wow. The blue-line logic is mind-bogglingly good. With or without the puck, the creativity allowed when nearing and crossing the blue line has grown exponentially. My jaw was dropping when seeing the AI teammates making some of the passes they were making all over the ice. Super important for those who play Drop-Ins with idiots that quit early.

Passing: I know I read someone called it a "chore" in a certain mode...not sure I can agree with that...yet. I like what I've seen with the passing. It's more responsive and IMO more accurate than it's been in years. I've also seen multiple one-handed desperation one-time attempts that was a pleasant surprise. The toolbox is growing substantially.

Puck Pickups: Another astonishing improvement! As some others have touched on, the desperation-type pickups are awesome and aplenty (contextually). Really enjoying never being out of the play even when a puck just misses me. The improved acceleration helps here too.

Hitting: I don't hit much, but I was able to land a couple extremely satisfying hits in different situations. Also saw some people throw some painful and realistic looking hits. Excited to see what's to come.

Aesthetics: I'm enjoying the art design this year. It's refreshed and quite different than years past. Not sure how much I like dudes in winter hats everywhere, but I'm sure that's optional.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #39
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

On the default tuning for Ones, there are plenty of hits, but it's more because the design of the game mode can put players in vulnerable spots. The hits themselves are generally credible and not over the top.

5 on 5 online versus, for a default tuning, I'm not seeing any over the top hitting. I have seen some good contact along the boards where a skater's momentum sort of "pries" an attempted checker open, and it results in some skidded contact along the boards where there puck carrier actually wins the physical contest, loses the puck briefly, but retains possession while the attempted checker is put out of the play.

If I can basically truck my way through an attempted hit with a bigger player vs an aggressive hit from a disadvantageous angle, I will be so happy. It would make up for what I feel is a lack of adequate parity good vs bad skaters.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

The game is beautiful minus a few things here and there. Wish there were HDR, but other than that, it looks amazing on my OLED C7 in 4K on the Xbox One X.

The skating truly is a beauty. Complete game changer. You guys have to try it to understand how fluid it is.

My biggest gripe is I went in and did the pond hockey 1 on 1 on 1 mode and was scoring the same goals over and over from previous years. They STILL have not figured out how to stop some of these goals from going in. The deke goals are so easy to pull off; backhand, forehand etc etc. This mode is fun tho!

I'm an offline player only for the most part, but I love my hockey and after the 1-1-1 mode jumped into online versus to get some NHL action in. I detest online as players have these certain quick, jerky movements and try to score the same way over and over again...I try to play real hockey by cycling, working it to the points, go for tips and rebounds etc....but I could truly appreciate how much better it plays.

I can't wait to get my hands on this WITH sliders and offline.

Commentary has some new lines from Doc. They said they worked on it a bunch and ADMITTED they did nothing with it last year (which those who are diehards and notice this stuff knew from day one).

Can't wait to continue to play. BIG step in the right direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »