Home

Unable to breath. I need to know - is it a strategy?

This is a discussion on Unable to breath. I need to know - is it a strategy? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Unable to breath. I need to know - is it a strategy?

I am referring to the relentless pressure by online players on my puck carrier, resulting in me losing the puck even when I am in front. And I don't mean them committing to an aggressive forecheck - it's not just their manually controlled player - it's also their AI controller players and they way they appropriate the puck.

They magically magnetise to my player and eventually strip the puck. I can't even see a poke check or stick lift animation. I can't see any animation - they are onto me in no time and seem to be able to predict the direction I am going to turn. Almost like the "contain" button in FIFA. Before I know it, they just seem to be able to magically appropriate the puck from any angle (even from behind).

So what is it that they are doing? Is it a strategy setting thing (with the D-pad)?
What exactly are they doing to be so aggressive, but also get their AI players to be aggressive?

Last edited by iaxy; 08-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Unable to breath. I need to know - is it a strategy?

Probably playing with agressive or puck side attack on d. Then just combined with knowing how to play and where to be combined with the CPU.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Probably playing with agressive or puck side attack on d. Then just combined with knowing how to play and where to be combined with the CPU.
I will happily accept criticism for not being an expert, but this is beyond "knowing hot to play". I am talking about the other guy's AI controlled players. They are on to me like a swarm of bees, as soon I get the puck in my zone. They don't just knock the puck loose, they seem to absorb the puck. I look for animations which suggest an attempt, but can's see them.

SO was wondering if they select a specific strategy that makes their AI controlled players so aggressive.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
SO was wondering if they select a specific strategy that makes their AI controlled players so aggressive.
That's in my response above. That's how the other team has the AI set up. Puck side attack and or high aggressive d. Plus 1-2-2 attack.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 08-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
I will happily accept criticism for not being an expert, but this is beyond "knowing hot to play". I am talking about the other guy's AI controlled players. They are on to me like a swarm of bees, as soon I get the puck in my zone. They don't just knock the puck loose, they seem to absorb the puck. I look for animations which suggest an attempt, but can's see them.

What difficulty do you play with offline? I think hockey has the greatest disparity between gamers that know how to play versus casuals. I never play online for the reason you state.

NHL is just an offline game for me. I may play a bit of HUT online, but it never goes well. I can never square up a good hit, yet I get absolutely pummeled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
What difficulty do you play with offline? I think hockey has the greatest disparity between gamers that know how to play versus casuals. I never play online for the reason you state.

NHL is just an offline game for me. I may play a bit of HUT online, but it never goes well. I can never square up a good hit, yet I get absolutely pummeled.
I agree with your comment about user player disparity being highest in hockey. I thought i was ok until i jumped into EASHL. I now realize i am terrible and sometimes have to mute my teammates due to the barrage of insults. Sometimes they just quit in frustration.

I feel like EA needs to do a better job matching drop ins by skill level. It may just be an issue of not enough beginner users.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
I agree with your comment about user player disparity being highest in hockey. I thought i was ok until i jumped into EASHL. I now realize i am terrible and sometimes have to mute my teammates due to the barrage of insults. Sometimes they just quit in frustration.

I feel like EA needs to do a better job matching drop ins by skill level. It may just be an issue of not enough beginner users.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, what goes wrong for you in drop-ins?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
Rookie

One thing I always have trouble with is mixing up my breakouts. I find myself falling into the pattern of using the same handful of breakouts, which gets really predictable. This definitely results in getting hemmed into the defensive zone

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »