Home

NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #201
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

You would've thought that the Beta would've helped them to catch a lot of these issues. Not sure what has happened, but that all sounds awful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #202
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

I have been reading a lot about how the CPU always seems to catch you when you are on a breakaway and I was wondering if that was because most slider sets has the Puck Carrier Skating lowered. Not sure why puck carrier agility and skating is lowered by half, maybe 80 would work better to get more separation. Seems weird because players with the puck really aren't half as slow as they are when they don't have the puck, also back skating at 50 seems harsh, maybe that is why you can always blow by defenders who are back skating. Just some thoughts, haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #203
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
I have been reading a lot about how the CPU always seems to catch you when you are on a breakaway and I was wondering if that was because most slider sets has the Puck Carrier Skating lowered. Not sure why puck carrier agility and skating is lowered by half, maybe 80 would work better to get more separation. Seems weird because players with the puck really aren't half as slow as they are when they don't have the puck, also back skating at 50 seems harsh, maybe that is why you can always blow by defenders who are back skating. Just some thoughts, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else or to what levels and modes they are playing on, but as far as breakaways go, mine seem just about right on full/sim - allstar.

Now, I haven't had too many, which I think is good because it makes it that much more exciting when they happen, but I've been able to break away on about half of the opportunities and the cpu has caught me or disrupted me on the rest.

So, for me it's right-on as far as frequency and success rate (success being a shot on goal) and I don't think it's a tuning and/or slider issue as far as full/sim default goes.

It could be modes that differ and/or user ability. While it's still a very similar game to it's predecessors, there's definitely some new things to adjust to when playing the CPU which may take some time for some gamers.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #204
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I don't think they cpu is too fast at tracking you down on a pure speed basis, but I think they turn and get up to speed too fast. Maybe my biggest complaint with the new skating engine and how the AI uses is is that they react and turn in the opposite direction and get up to speed way too quickly.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #205
MVP

OVR: 24

I tried last night to create an expansion team and each time after 30 minutes of jersey tweaking and such it crashed on me.

Really digging the gameplay though and can't wait to actually get started.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #206
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I don't think they cpu is too fast at tracking you down on a pure speed basis, but I think they turn and get up to speed too fast. Maybe my biggest complaint with the new skating engine and how the AI uses is is that they react and turn in the opposite direction and get up to speed way too quickly.
That's been the problem for years. The CPU players can turn much faster, tighter, and get up to speed faster. Basically they don't obey the same rules of the skating engine.

So, while in real life you can catch players flat footed and facing the wrong way, in the game, the CPU can just turn on a dime and accelerate.

For example in real life if a d-man on the point gets a shot blocked with the forward facing him, that forward is gone. Nobody will ever be able to turn 180, get up to speed, and catch someone. In NHL though, that player turns very quickly and has a much easier time staying with you.

That's why you don't see real separation. Watch your replays and watch the CPU turn. While you are skating in one direction getting up to speed, they are turning and accelerating much quicker.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #207
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm having a blast so far with 19. The CPU finally doesn't have the ping pong passing and games are much tighter for me with TOP fairly even between me and CPU teams. Before, they would kill me in this area. Goalies are definitely improved this year, not one goal in my play now games have been unrealistic. The new tuner addresses them even more for the better.

Five man cellys, while don't effect game play, do add to immersion for me. I really the actual goal songs were in the game.. and it's really odd hearing music when the visiting team scores.

CPU teammate AI also seems much better and I don't feel like I always have to take control of the nearest player to the puck. They hit when they should, take away passing lanes and generally have good positioning. I'm not saying they play perfect hockey, but I'm not as nearly frustrated as I was with 18. Board play.. I'm no longer seeing pins where the CPU team always would win the battle. I also love the game speed on default, it's perfect imho.

Overall.. I can't wait to get a franchise started in a few weeks. I think they have done a great job this year. Like most have said, the skating and hitting feels fresh and makes the game really feel like hockey this year.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #208
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
That's been the problem for years. The CPU players can turn much faster, tighter, and get up to speed faster. Basically they don't obey the same rules of the skating engine.

So, while in real life you can catch players flat footed and facing the wrong way, in the game, the CPU can just turn on a dime and accelerate.

For example in real life if a d-man on the point gets a shot blocked with the forward facing him, that forward is gone. Nobody will ever be able to turn 180, get up to speed, and catch someone. In NHL though, that player turns very quickly and has a much easier time staying with you.

That's why you don't see real separation. Watch your replays and watch the CPU turn. While you are skating in one direction getting up to speed, they are turning and accelerating much quicker.
So true.
In a game last night, I also saw the CPU do it's regular 'skate forward, then suddenly skate backwards at 100% speed without losing any momentum or losing the puck'.
But to put a positive spin on it, I only saw it perform that crap once the whole game.

Speaking of which, I had a very satisfying game as the Preds vs the Oilers last night.
Won 6-1, saw a variety of goals and didn't notice a lot of CPU cheating.
My only gripe is that the Oilers stars were barely visible. Draisatl had a really nice PP goal where he took his time in the slot, toe dragged to change the shooting angle and rifled it top shelf.
But other than that, I didn't notice McDavid, RNH or anyone else at all.
Granted, I was playing on PRO level and with AE slider at default.
Tonight I'm going to try a game with AE maxed out.

My first game I lost 5-2 to the Leafs as Winnipeg and Tavares and Marner really stood out.
Connor Brown had an unreal breakaway goal as well.

So far I have to say I'm enjoying the game.
I doubt I'm going to get into a Franchise because the game plays entirely different for whatever reason.
But I could see myself playing several Season's with various teams.
I will most likely jump around the schedule and play as several teams and then have some fun doing the same in the playoffs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »