Home

NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murrayís Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20

Old 09-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon8 Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Just my 2 cents but I’ll continue to report...

...Graphic needs a patch, Xbox One X looks washed out compared to NHL18!
(Jerseys graphic bugs too)

Settings Save Bug STILL (for years now!] exists!

Still no answer from EA about custom Music...roster sharing....

Still no way to matchups Line...no way to set Strategy for all teams!

Last edited by GetThePuckOut; 09-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
Played a few games online and it felt really sloppy.

Lot of penalties. very sensitive. even a little touch and it's a penalty call.
Serious question, isn't this how it should be? No guy in the NHL aimlessly flails his stick from behind, to the side, or if they are an inch from the offensive player. All of these cases most often result in penalties in the NHL. The penalties in the game are called because they essentially want to teach you to play defense the proper way. This to me is a breath of fresh air and adds realism. Flat out, they better NOT tune this to cater to people who hate that it plays like hockey. Is it maybe a tad sensitive, it can be argued, but that is easily fixed by fixing your defensive game. I don't know how you play at all so maybe you don't poke check at will, but that's my guess based on what you've typed. Try the following because you will improve and you will take half the penalties you probably took in the game you played,

1. Play blade on puck (exactly like real life). If you get so close to the offensive player, don't poke check. It's going to hit his skates or legs and it's going to be tripping.

2. Play passing lanes. That's where the poke check comes in handy the most and quite honestly it's tuned pretty well where the puck doesn't seem to go through blades of sticks. If you are in good position you are most likely going to stop a pass and that's how it should be. It's quite rewarding when you do it.

3. If you do end up getting too close to a player, time a body check. I don't recommend this online though because you are going to get torched by good players. I see this all the time and cringe.

Maybe the style of game isn't for you and that is 100% fair enough, but this game has turned more sim just by the inability to poke check up and down the ice. It has done wonders for this game.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 09-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #27
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Totally agree bwiggy33!

The game so far out of the box on AS defaults/simulation plays great. You cannot poke check like a madman and not expect many penalties. Like I've said, I really hope EA does NOT dumb it down. As long as you move your feet, the CPU AI will sometimes poke check in desperation, causing a penalty. I really can't believe the amount of penalties on 3/4 default, it's quite refreshing.

Hitting feels great as well, I lined up a hit with Maroon and it was so satisfying seeing him follow through on the hit, they even mentioned it in the commentary.

Those of you looking for stat popup improvements/presentation overhaul, etc.. will be disappointed. They focused on the skating/hitting and absolutely nailed it, at least imho. I go back to my game against Vegas and it was such a sloppy and intense game and I finally have similar TOP, not like previous versions where the CPU has a definitive advantage in TOP. When Petro and Parayko are on the ice, they really dominate. The CPU is really aggressive too, you have to think/pass/move quickly or you're going to be checked and have the puck taken away. Game play is really fun.

Will get another game or two in today but it's a purchase for me. I just worry about future tuners/patches and dumming down.

Oh and goalies, while not an overhaul or anything, they do seem to have better awareness and so far nothing chezzy has gone in for a goal. It's like they have been tightened up and if they fixed the pads flush to the ice issue like they said they did, then hopefully the fluke under/through the pads goals are gone for good.

Last edited by MizzouRah; 09-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #28
lvl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
I wouldn't freak out about the goal songs quite yet. Its not unusual for them not to be all present before the official release.

Regarding the gameplay, color me extremely optimistic about this year's game.

Many small improvements combined with the other larger changes have tightened and have probably optimized the potential with this engine on this hardware.

The skating and its effects on gameplay are substantial when added to the cold hard fact that you no longer can spam the poke check button. This allows for a more formidable cpu opponent especially when combined with their improved killer instinct during scoring opportunities.

Thankfully the heightened sensitivity to tripping calls makes you rely on defensive positioning and the new and much improved hitting system. I love that it feels rewarding to use a well timed stick check and it actually scares me when i get sloppy and have to face the CPU on the PP.

Very satisfying.

Team mate AI in the O-zone is way better IMO finding open ice and defensemen on the point are way more reliable.

The CPU no longer wastes time passing back forth in the neutral zone and prefers to push the pace. Much more engaging.

Liking the cellies. No more of that awkward crap after goals.

Im probably forgetting something but whatever...thats all ive got for now
Legit 5-man right after a goal?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #29
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

+ Game plays a bit sloppier than last year on default Pro
+ Hits are MUCH better and look more realistic
+ Out of the box, it feels faster and represents the frenetic pace you see on tv
+ There is noticeable skating speed differences between players
+ Finally some new goal celebrations that don't just involve two players
+ Less cycling of the puck by the CPU. They attack better
+ Seems to be a bit more open ice to create one on one
+ Overall, feels more like hockey than ever

- Sliders need to be adjusted, specifically puck reception. Much too tape to tape, as if the puck and stick are magnets
- Cut scenes seem like they're in fast forward. EA is abysmal with this game when it comes to cut scenes.
- Replays still look choppy
- Some animations are much too fast and look strange
- Commentary is slightly improved but it's the same ol same ol
- Visually, it's the worst looking sports video game compared to the others on the market
- The CPU still has an advantage it seems when passing the puck at lightning speed.
- Goalie animations haven't seen an improvement
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvl
Legit 5-man right after a goal?
Indeed. They are 1000% better. Nailed it.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Serious question, isn't this how it should be? No guy in the NHL aimlessly flails his stick from behind, to the side, or if they are an inch from the offensive player. All of these cases most often result in penalties in the NHL. The penalties in the game are called because they essentially want to teach you to play defense the proper way. This to me is a breath of fresh air and adds realism. Flat out, they better NOT tune this to cater to people who hate that it plays like hockey. Is it maybe a tad sensitive, it can be argued, but that is easily fixed by fixing your defensive game. I don't know how you play at all so maybe you don't poke check at will, but that's my guess based on what you've typed. Try the following because you will improve and you will take half the penalties you probably took in the game you played,

1. Play blade on puck (exactly like real life). If you get so close to the offensive player, don't poke check. It's going to hit his skates or legs and it's going to be tripping.

2. Play passing lanes. That's where the poke check comes in handy the most and quite honestly it's tuned pretty well where the puck doesn't seem to go through blades of sticks. If you are in good position you are most likely going to stop a pass and that's how it should be. It's quite rewarding when you do it.

3. If you do end up getting too close to a player, time a body check. I don't recommend this online though because you are going to get torched by good players. I see this all the time and cringe.

Maybe the style of game isn't for you and that is 100% fair enough, but this game has turned more sim just by the inability to poke check up and down the ice. It has done wonders for this game.
Ok, agree ... but if its near reality other things should be too not only bit better gameplay. Gameplay is one thing, but the rest is worse. Other things like real player faces, better stats named by Team names. Calender review to view past games. New Goalie masks or crator app, Jerseys and many things more. The list is long for this. Only a bit better Gameplay is not enough for real NHL Hardcore Fans not Arcade players like this new generation. The sales from 15-18 say a lot about this game. From more than 1,5 Mio sold copies to 500 000. I hope you agree with this. I am not a person who is easily to Hype with some small gimmick improvements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
Rookie

Iím still disappointed with the 5 man celebration as itís more less a cut scene. After a goal it still just 2 guys and everyone else standing. Then it will do a camera cut to eveyone hugging. Donít get me wrong still an improvement but still not where I want it v

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »