Home

NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Demo Available Now, Features Kick-Off Mode and VOLTA Football - Post Your Impressions Here
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #33
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

I see the heading picture does this mean we get to skate with Lord Stanley this year?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #34
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrobitaille
Ok, agree ... but if its near reality other things should be too not only bit better gameplay. Gameplay is one thing, but the rest is worse. Other things like real player faces, better stats named by Team names. Calender review to view past games. New Goalie masks or crator app, Jerseys and many things more. The list is long for this. Only a bit better Gameplay is not enough for real NHL Hardcore Fans not Arcade players like this new generation. The sales from 15-18 say a lot about this game. From more than 1,5 Mio sold copies to 500 000. I hope you agree with this. I am not a person who is easily to Hype with some small gimmick improvements.
First, I never said it was near reality. It's still far from it and we won't ever get that. They've made parts of the game realistic though. I get all of what you want and I was that exact way a long time ago. Then I realized how flawed the gameplay was and how many other things bothered me about the direction the devs were going in. I'm strictly talking about the gameplay and nothing else because I know there weren't improvements elsewhere. It sucks for those of you who want those right now. IMO, gameplay is ultimately what needs improving most, and it seems that they've taken a good step this year.

I was a hardcore fan from NHL 98 to NHL 14 wanting sim gameplay. The gameplay wasn't good enough towards the last couple years I bought the game. I simply found all the flaws. It wasn't until 14 that I finally decided to stop buying it. I've been waiting 7 years for them to finally make a game that resembled more elements of sim hockey. If you thought the gameplay was good enough the past years, then great. IMO, the gameplay was not good enough and for me that is the step they needed to take before adding/fixing all of that other stuff you mentioned. I could care a less about that other stuff if I phsyically don't like the gameplay. I am still shocked the devs actually stood up and said let's make poke checking sim to get rid of the poke check spam. I never thought I'd see the day where they are actually forcing people to play defense properly.

If I had any expectations for this game, or if the game was good previous to this, I'd be complaining about what you are. I 100% get your point. If you check out all of my posts 3-4 years ago you will see basically the same things you are wanting. Once they get the gameplay in a good spot, that's when I will start going back to complaining about the things not specifically affecting gameplay.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 09-06-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #35
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportdan30
+ Game plays a bit sloppier than last year on default Pro
+ Hits are MUCH better and look more realistic
+ Out of the box, it feels faster and represents the frenetic pace you see on tv
+ There is noticeable skating speed differences between players
+ Finally some new goal celebrations that don't just involve two players
+ Less cycling of the puck by the CPU. They attack better
+ Seems to be a bit more open ice to create one on one
+ Overall, feels more like hockey than ever

- Sliders need to be adjusted, specifically puck reception. Much too tape to tape, as if the puck and stick are magnets
- Cut scenes seem like they're in fast forward. EA is abysmal with this game when it comes to cut scenes.
- Replays still look choppy
- Some animations are much too fast and look strange
- Commentary is slightly improved but it's the same ol same ol
- Visually, it's the worst looking sports video game compared to the others on the market
- The CPU still has an advantage it seems when passing the puck at lightning speed.
- Goalie animations haven't seen an improvement
The worst looking game when compared to others sports games? I think its looks great.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

Last edited by RoyalBoyle78; 09-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #36
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

The problem I've had with Madden and NHL in the past is I thought I was searching for true sim, but it turns out I just wanted to have a fun game that had realistic game play.

Madden is a breath of fresh air for me this year, I'm having a blast playing it, even if it means I'm near the top in rushing defense because the CPU does have difficulty at times, running the ball on me (they did get 80+ yards against me with a backup RB last game).

NHL brings back the fun in the actual game play and it's been enjoyable so far. It's so much better with skating and hitting that I've already deleted NHL 18 off my xbox. The new skating opens up more of the game, CPU AI, player AI and game flow as well as having to play smart positional defense. Each game I've played has been a loose and fun game of hockey.

I absolutely want more out of the franchise mode, better presentation/commentary, etc.. but to me it seems like they spent a great deal of time this year on skating and hitting and it's fantastic. A "gamechanger" if I can use that cliche.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #37
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Aaaaaaaanyways...lol
Old 09-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #38
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Another tuner today.. wish we would have some notes on what's being changed.

Is it just me or is the default Dynamic Medium camera seem a bit more zoomed out this year? (which is a good thing if so)

I'm still really surprised on default penalties, I'm getting totals of 9-12 per game which is fantastic. Shot totals are down too, on 7 minute periods I'm getting excellent shot totals. This is largely due to the sloppy play. I don't see any of the tape to tape passing by the CPU unless it's a PP, much improvement here!

Take it for what it's worth.. but the CPU controlled players seem to play much better, taking the wide open players, putting on hits when the chance arrives, etc.. it's much improved to me at least. The CPU teams do not seem to have the open shots like previous versions.

I really like the new UI, being able to see the stats/3 stars, etc all on one screen!
Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #39
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird313
Your hockey experience blows mine out of the water. I also have experience in not being a jerk to people and calling them out because of race/religion/creed...and I bet my experience there blows yours out of the water. If there was some miscommunication then let us know, but you took the first shot at someone because they arenít the color you prefer.

Clown ****, bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
For real. Good riddance. The amount I still see this stuff in the game with dumb fans, truly disgusting.

On topic: stoked to give this a go later today. I had a surprisingly good time with the beta, though I rarely play against human competition so I'm eager to see how all of the positives I found there (skating, hitting, general physical play) translate to the offline/single player game. It's actually saying a lot that I had such a good time playing online matchups in the beta though. I didn't play a ton of games, but I don't think I ever ran up against an opponent who just seemed like they were gaming the system.

Also echoing others who hope this doesn't get tuned into the ground, though I don't have high hopes given the past history with the series and the type of player it caters to.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #40
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
The problem I've had with Madden and NHL in the past is I thought I was searching for true sim, but it turns out I just wanted to have a fun game that had realistic game play.

Madden is a breath of fresh air for me this year, I'm having a blast playing it, even if it means I'm near the top in rushing defense because the CPU does have difficulty at times, running the ball on me (they did get 80+ yards against me with a backup RB last game).

NHL brings back the fun in the actual game play and it's been enjoyable so far. It's so much better with skating and hitting that I've already deleted NHL 18 off my xbox. The new skating opens up more of the game, CPU AI, player AI and game flow as well as having to play smart positional defense. Each game I've played has been a loose and fun game of hockey.

I absolutely want more out of the franchise mode, better presentation/commentary, etc.. but to me it seems like they spent a great deal of time this year on skating and hitting and it's fantastic. A "gamechanger" if I can use that cliche.
You want to really blow your mind? Last night, after playing some HUT, I decided to do some Play Now on Arcade, default everything. It's fast, fun, and still strategic. And yes, the new skating helps.

I know many will not want to play with big hits and such fast play, but for vegging out after a long day, it's damn near perfect. but for me, hockey has always been the sport I needed sim from the least. It's the sport I followed the least growing up, but still loved all those old console hockey games.

It feels like, to me, that they may have gotten close to actually making three styles distinct enough to make everyone happy? I'll probably play on all three modes this year, depending on mood.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »