Home

NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #41
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

The CPU is a seriously worthy opponent with the obvious tweaks done to the AI and the fact that I cant spam the stick check at all. Bravo, EA. This is easily the best hockey game Ive ever played.

It feels like they improved like 20 elements of the gameplay. Im collecting clips against the CPU that Ill be posting over the next few days
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #42
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
You want to really blow your mind? Last night, after playing some HUT, I decided to do some Play Now on Arcade, default everything. It's fast, fun, and still strategic. And yes, the new skating helps.

I know many will not want to play with big hits and such fast play, but for vegging out after a long day, it's damn near perfect. but for me, hockey has always been the sport I needed sim from the least. It's the sport I followed the least growing up, but still loved all those old console hockey games.

It feels like, to me, that they may have gotten close to actually making three styles distinct enough to make everyone happy? I'll probably play on all three modes this year, depending on mood.
That's awesome! I still can't get over how great the new skating is.. the animations look beautiful, actually like real hockey players out there.. LOL
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's awesome! I still can't get over how great the new skating is.. the animations look beautiful, actually like real hockey players out there.. LOL
My sarcasm radar is still not 100% decided if you are just sarcastic or really feel like the skating (especially the accels and the way players pumping their legs all over the place) looks realistic now haha.

Anyway, good for you, I guess
Old 09-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #44
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ NEO
My sarcasm radar is still not 100% decided if you are just sarcastic or really feel like the skating (especially the accels and the way players pumping their legs all over the place) looks realistic now haha.

Anyway, good for you, I guess
HAHA.. no I really mean it.. it's 100x better than previous versions. Maybe the pumping is overdone, I don't know.. but the other animations and transitions into different skating moves looks much better!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #45
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

More ramblings...

Played against Toronto and Kadri leveled Perron and got a game misconduct.

Lots more board play. Love the 5 man celly.. little thing but adds some realism. I noticed only 1 defenseman on PP and a forward on the point - I don't remember that in 18? Seeing Steen on the point on default lines was neat to see.

Passing % now close or better than the CPU as is TOA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #46
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1

Simple review - this is the biggest leap I've EVER seen a sports game make in a year!

Gameplay - The skating, physics, puck pick-ups, collisions and hit changes are truly game changers.

Poke check spammers will now pay dearly for doing so. You have to play real hockey. Your positioning and timing are crucial in not tripping your opponent.

The AI is much improved. They actually use the boards to pass the puck! They seem to play much smarter than previous games. This includes offense and defense. They also finally actually commit penalties! Not too little and not too much! Great changes here. The sliders finally matter.

The physics make the puck kind of unpredictable (this is a great thing). The board play is much better because of the changes to physics, collisions, and hits. You can now push someone out of position and even make them lose the puck. There is a lot to see when it comes to collisions and hits. The little hits are where they should be and so are the big hits. Everything feels and looks very natural.

The skating has lived up to the hype. It just feels good. It feels and looks like actually skating on ice! The cuts, turns, and skating are the best we've ever seen!

Puck pick-ups are FINALLY very much revamped. You can finally pick up the puck and it feels natural. The new puck physics make it even better. It's not automatic or frustrating as it used to be. The puck is finally it's own object. You can have a little trouble picking up the puck by fumbling around with it, but in a true to life way. Basically, picking up, fumbling or missing the puck feels natural. It finally feels real and frustration free.

Positioning is very important in this game for every reason I listed. You have to play hockey. REAL hockey. This is definitely a SIM experience. It's honestly like playing a brand new hockey game that was built from the ground up.

Goalies still need a lot of love, but they are playing much smarter and better than they have ever played. I know it's not saying much. However, all the other gameplay changes make up for this. They need an overhaul, but it's good enough when combined with everything else.

This is the best hockey game ever made as far as gameplay.

Gameplay - 9

Game modes - I think NHL is on the right track as far as game modes go. I've been able to enjoy each game mode. Be A GM is a very solid mode it just needs more user control. If we could get that then I'd be elated! We need 32 team control as well as the choice of being a coach, player or owner. Basically, CFM. BUT! Don't get me wrong, the NHL team has done a great job of giving every fan something to enjoy. This game as far as game modes go is for every type of player. I would score this higher if Be A GM had the options I mentioned.

Game modes - 8.5

Features - We desperately need community files like Madden and 2K. Please give us custom rosters, sliders, and draft classes at minimum. Community files would be HUGE if it also had created teams, jerseys, logos (using a logo creation tool), and custom goalie mask.

Instead of reviewing what is in the game I had to make a wishlist instead. There's not much here this year.

Features - 5

Presentation - Needs a lot of love. The commentary is still bad. Why can't these guys have hundreds of names recorded already? I'm sick of hearing all the generic lines. Where is dynamic commentary? Where are more stat overlays? These things seem to remain almost completely untouched. Any changes are very subtle and lack substance.

We FINALLY have 5-man celebrations just like in real life. The celebrations are much better because they chose to be true to life. Which is always a good thing.

The menus are a breath of fresh air. It feels so smooth. This is extremely important because of EA NHL's history of very sluggish menus. The UI is beautiful. Saving the game doesn't feel like torture anymore. It's actually pretty quick.

The presentation is receiving a bump only because of the new celebrations, menus, and UI.

Presentation - 6

Graphics - The game definitely looks beautiful in 4K. The graphics won't blow you away, but they still look beautiful. Despite NHL 19 not being in HDR the colors still really pop and they look fantastic! The lighting and stadiums are well done. Player models and lack of face scans very much takes away some of the immersion factor. Because of the lack of player scans, this department will take a hit in my ratings. Even still, this game really pops and it's absolutely beautiful.

Graphics - 7.5

Customization - This isn't getting as much love as it should. Player creation and editing are still meh. Didn't expect much change this year, but was hoping it would with the new game mode. The limited amount of logos and preset goalie mask are very depressing. We desperately need a logo creation suite like 2K for example. There isn't enough variety of logos or goalie mask. I'm tired of the limited amount of logos and mask. Give us at LEAST 5 EA preset goalie mask for each team including all leagues and a creation suite like 2K. If not, I'll honestly take either one at this point. Again, it would be HUGE if these things could also be shared in community files. This has potential, but there's just not much different this year.

Customization - 7.5

Final thoughts - This game really shines when it comes to gameplay and a variety of game modes. Are there fixes needed in these areas? Absolutely, but it's a very good foundation. As I mentioned, the lack of presentation, features, and customization is holding the game back. However, the gameplay, Be A GM and the variety of game modes makes up for it quite a bit. The gameplay alone is enough to warrant a purchase. Though there's plenty of good game modes to keep you coming back. Anything else is icing on the cake. Especially, if you haven't bought NHL in a while. You'll be wowed if you bought this after many years of being absent. I buy it every year and so far I'm beyond wowed even with no break. Gameplay truly has made massive leaps in just a year. So much so that it really bumps the games score up. If you're a guy who likes SIM or even arcade hockey, it's absolutely a MUST buy.

Score - 8.5

Last edited by TheBuddyHobbs; 09-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #47
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Seeing some good first impressions from some guys who’s opinions i respect. My cynicism comes into play in my fear that once the online HUT lovers start whining about tripping penalties ,and other core game elements, that EA ruins the game with a tuner.....one thing I’ve wished for besides roster share was offline seoerate tuners.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #48
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Seeing some good first impressions from some guys who’s opinions i respect. My cynicism comes into play in my fear that once the online HUT lovers start whining about tripping penalties ,and other core game elements, that EA ruins the game with a tuner.....one thing I’ve wished for besides roster share was offline seoerate tuners.
They really need to bring back the option of choosing which tuner you would like to use. This would help the game tremendously. Every sports game should have this option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »