Home

NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #49
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

I agree with all the positive posts so far. I think we could be in for a fun season of NHL 19. Game feels so fresh VS. the CPU! I plugged my sliders and settings in and haven’t looked back.

Keep the impressions coming guys.

Funny to see a few of the hardcore guys coming over to the mindset I’ve settled in on for a few years now. Accept it for what it is, enjoy the arcade game with sim elements. Just have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 09-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #50
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 19 Trial For EA Access Subscribers Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

You know, the beta didn't do much for me. Mainly because I'm an offline player.

However, I got two games in on the EA Access preview last night, and I've got to say... I'm actually pretty impressed.

I thought the skating was nice, fairly balanced for both teams, me and the CPU which isn't normal for this series. So that's a good thing IMO.

Poke checks, loose pucks, hitting... whether big shots, or just pushes and shoves in close felt good, looked good. Goaltending looked better. It just felt like a good game of hockey
For the record, was playing on Sim mode, and at pro difficulty. Ithought it played really well. There weren't alot of the frustrating things I've typically seen showing up. For example, I didnt see CPU skaters not being subjected to the same limitations while skating that my players were. That to me, right there is huge.

The downside? No roster sharing. Every teams offense/defense/goaltending is essentially either above 90, or barely below it. That's just... bad to me.

I haven't bought yet... I was planning on waiting, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Mind you, it was only two games.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 AM   #51
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Here is some gameplay footage against the CPU using Altito's sliders. This has a lot of extended play so its not like my usual video game summaries.

I simmed to the playoffs using the Caps, playing a few of the regular season games before putting Al's sliders in. This is Game One of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Please watch this on a Computer monitor or on a TV through your console as cell phone screens are simply too small to capture whats going on here.

Truthfully there was constantly something happening I wanted to record, but hey...anyways, here you go.

Crazy game.

https://www.xboxdvr.com/gamer/danoto...video/59944910
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Here is some gameplay footage against the CPU using Altito's sliders. This has a lot of extended play so its not like my usual video game summaries.

I simmed to the playoffs using the Caps, playing a few of the regular season games before putting Al's sliders in. This is Game One of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Please watch this on a Computer monitor or on a TV through your console as cell phone screens are simply too small to capture whats going on here.

Truthfully there was constantly something happening I wanted to record, but hey...anyways, here you go.

Crazy game.

Might be a dumb question but do some of the NHL 18 slider settings translate well over to NHL 19? With the new skating I thought slider settings would have to be redone.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #53
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus
Might be a dumb question but do some of the NHL 18 slider settings translate well over to NHL 19? With the new skating I thought slider settings would have to be redone.
In my experience, no. They don't translate well at all. There's just too many gameplay changes. They've really really outdone themselves this time. The game plays like hockey as opposed to their previous games including last year which played arcadey. This game is very much a simulation of real hockey. BUT if you like arcade you can just choose an arcade style to play. This is achieved with the right sliders. The physics, collisions, hits, boardplay, skating, good penalty numbers, puck pick-ups, and the puck finally acting as it's own object has completely changed the game. Completely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by TheBuddyHobbs; 09-07-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #54
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1

I've seen some people (maybe not in this particular thread) actually say it's the same game as always. That absolutely blows my mind completely. Honestly, if you changed the score overlay you would question if EA actually made this game. EA has failed miserably this generation. Year after year they touted new features that weren't game changers at all. All hype as usual.

This year? A completely brand new game. This is not the EA NHL we know and that's a great thing. The leap in just one year truly amazes me. I still can't believe it. The physics, puck physics (acting as it's own object), collisions, hits, boardplay, penalty calls, and skating are all working as or actually better than advertised. Goalies need some work, but they are the best they've been on this generation.

The game isn't the same at all. It's not at all NHL 18.5 or just a roster update. It's so much more. Anyone who says it's the same as all the other EA NHL games must not have played the same game I did. I just don't understand. This game has taken a huge leap especially, in just one cycle. This isn't NHL 18.5 or a roster update. This is NHL 19 and it stands alone.

Last edited by TheBuddyHobbs; 09-07-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #55
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus
They translate perfectly fine. While the game feels fresh and new because of the skating and some other changes the core of the game is the same. Nothing they have done would really mess with the sliders and what they do. Maybe the skating ones, maybe. But I use close to default skating anyway so I had no issues.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #56
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace

Crazy game.

I hate you so much OBG!

That video looked really good. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the CPU commit an errant pass.
I loved seeing the subtle influence of body checks too. None were over the top and each had realistic results.

I have to stay away though - for now.
With Spidey on it's way and RDR2 coming in late October, I'm likely going to wait for the obligatory price drop around Christmas.
I was deadset against buying NHL19, but this video and the positive impressions posted here have me reconsidering.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »