Home

How is everyone liking the tripping button this year?

This is a discussion on How is everyone liking the tripping button this year? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How is everyone liking the tripping button this year?

Itís cool that you can trip people on command now, right? But seriously, whatís the deal with stick play? Seems very hard to play a finesse game. This year seems to focus on hitting and playing physical with your stick flying in the air all the time from trying to lift your opponents stick. Anyone have any tips on how to use the poke check/skill stick this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Re: How is everyone liking the tripping button this year?

Be more selective on when you use it. Running into a player with the puck can also jar it loose without poking it. Practice using it. It's more sensitive this year but it's controllable.

I'm not saying that it's not frustrating. I was booting from an online game for too many penalties. That is when I went into practice mode and worked on trying to have better control over it. I still take pens but not as many.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

I actually like it how it is. I haven't installed a patch or a tuner yet, but from an offline perspective I think it's pretty good.

1. The cpu takes penalties and 2. It makes you focus more on positioning and timing ( you can't be over aggressive and get away with it.)
Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
Rookie

Yeah Iím trying to be more careful with it, but was never really overly aggressive with it either. Itís very frustrating when Iím skating alongside someone that I canít poke or sweep the puck away. If I use the poke check, the player goes for the trip instead of the puck. Iím forced to make contact to bump them off the puck. Thatís not how everyone plays. Especially the team that I use (Vegas Golden Knights), so it takes some of the realism away for me. Are there any devs on here that can share their perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
MVP

Syce's Arena

Initially I have had big trouble with it. I typically play as a defenceman and I use the stick out feature to try and guide the opponents to the outside but if they go any where near my stick it's a trip. I'm starting to come around now and not use it unless I know it's going to actually hit the puck but I still get my self in some trouble with it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
Toronto Maple Leafs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #6
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

Honestly I can't see how anyone could enjoy it in the current state it's in. There is literally no reason to use the poke check this year. I've had checks that I time perfectly, and in good position in front of the opposing player, and it's like my player intentionally goes for the skates and not the puck. There have even been a few times where I get the puck, but my player follows through too much on the poke and gets the skates as well. The reward doesn't really justify the risk either, as I have seen multiple moments of a great poke barely knocking the puck away and the opponent getting the puck right back, so in the end you kinda have to spam the button either way. It's much more safe and efficient (and almost too easy) to just skate into the puck while the opponent has control. You almost always automatically take possession without even needing to bump the opponent himself. I like the idea of putting an end to poke spamming and having to use other tactics to get the puck, but this is a bit too much. I'm sure there will be a patch coming to tone down the tripping.
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Cleveland Indians
San Francisco Giants
San Antonio Spurs
Crystal Palace
Schalke 04

Last edited by Chiefaho; 09-16-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Banned

Don't have the game yet, but this concerns me...until a patch comes out that address this, is it possible to lower the Tripping and/or hooking penalty slider for the user to a very low number where tripping isn't called as much but the poke check slider is still effective?

For example in 2018, I had the user penalty slider around 30 and the CPU penalty slider around 65 -70 and found that tripping and hooking were called on a much more even basis.

Last edited by jack72; 09-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Inter1's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm getting into the habit of swinging my stick side to side when i'm being rushed, and when i'm skating next to my opponent, timing the poke so I knock the puck off his stick is really satisfying. It's all about playing smart and timing this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »