Home

How's your franchise going? NHL 19 Edition

This is a discussion on How's your franchise going? NHL 19 Edition within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #153
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How's your franchise going? NHL 19 Edition

so... after playing pre-season, I went 5-1-1, my overalls are offense: 91 & defense: 92 & Goalies: 87, when am healthy, I also adjusted the settings again, so that injury's don't occur so often, that was mind blowing part, at how rough sport was, I have lost 2 right wingers already, i'll be updating the settings now.

first game we lost 8-9 in OT, prior to settings change, we won 4-1, we are 1-0-1 3 points, I will go update it now, I also lowered the cpu difficulty adjustment: 1 again from: 3, it was disaster piece.

anyways updating it now.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #154
Rookie

I am not a hockey guy. I respect the game and tune into playoffs on occasion. I have more fingers than I could name hockey players......I have always been intrigued by sports video games that involve sports I know little about. (I downloaded PES demo few years back and I love it) I have no clue as to strategy or team building when it comes to hockey. I instantly downloaded this for free on xbox. Played the demo while it was installing and I really like what I played. I won the game, granted lower difficulty, but I am ready for franchise.

My question to you guys here would be what route should I go?

I've seen videos of people editing every team and having a custom league. Thought about using a fictional roster with this or doing a fantasy draft.

Or

The only REAL team I see myself being is the Ducks because I loved the Mighty Ducks movies growing up and they have their uniforms on the game.

Any suggestions from the veteran crowd would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #155
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddiestduck
I am not a hockey guy. I respect the game and tune into playoffs on occasion. I have more fingers than I could name hockey players......I have always been intrigued by sports video games that involve sports I know little about. (I downloaded PES demo few years back and I love it) I have no clue as to strategy or team building when it comes to hockey. I instantly downloaded this for free on xbox. Played the demo while it was installing and I really like what I played. I won the game, granted lower difficulty, but I am ready for franchise.

I've seen videos of people editing every team and having a custom league. Thought about using a fictional roster with this or doing a fantasy draft.

Or

The only REAL team I see myself being is the Ducks because I loved the Mighty Ducks movies growing up and they have their uniforms on the game.

if u like fantasy draft, go with fantasy draft.

now if u like to control today's current NHL team go with franchise Classic, or create entire hockey team , that u can expand to 32nd hockey team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #156
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

so...I did one slight adjustment recently, I lowered the faceoff difficulty to 62, by... god did it ever work!.

am currently 2-1-1 in the season, I also got rid of a lot of small players, one note worthy acquired forward I got was : tyler tofflie (from los angeles kings), I found the ai cpu was so smart, they knew who to injure first, which breaking the beliefs system, so now I had to go out and get big forwards.

reality hit me then, u can't just have team of small forwards, u may need maybe 2-3 small forwards and 2 small defensemen, but on coyotes team am currently controlling, I kept clayton keller and Christian dvorak and Christian fristian , out of whole coyotes roster, I also kept main core of defense, but... just traded 1 or 2 defensemen out all guys, both are 5'11's in height, I wanted mobility and speed on defense.

my teams overall has been lowered also too, offense: 90 & defense: 92 & goalies: 87.

am gonna add that adjustment now to my sliders.

it'll be for the franchise all-star: full sim nhl 19 coach mode sliders 20 Minutes.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #157
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddiestduck

Or

I have always played with my favorite team, the Blues. This year I was just flat out bored so I started a fantasy draft league and I'm having a lot of fun.

Teams are pretty even across the board, so each game is a battle.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #158
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

after crap load of adjustments and finally playing a lot of games, am currently 8-4-2 (Coyotes) and 3-6-1 (with Tucson road runners, these are with my franchise all-star: full sim 19 coach mode sliders 20 minutes, I..finally was able to sit down and play a lot of games and stuff, yes AI learning had to come down too, it was generating too unrealistic high scores, so I trimmed it to about half way.

I love playing 20 minutes, cause it's addicting and every scenario is different,
I had to lower size effect to 95, my little players we're being man handled by bigger forwards, this way they keep at it and with less injuries and stuff, I also lowered injury occurrence to 35 and lowered hitting power to 25 and hitting assistance to 10 and lowered speed hitting to 35, also raised fatigue effect to 95 and slightly raised fatigue recovery to 35 from: 25, among other stuff.

I just finished playing two games today, a lot thinking involved, am now having blast!

Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #159
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

Updated! Rolled Back Beta Tuner Update V1.00 Franchise All-Star: Full Sim NHL 19 20 minutes!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #160
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Got back into 19 thanks to Xbox Live Games With Gold and the NHL Draft. Flaws and all, I'm actually...having fun with it? That's not to say that the experience could be a whole lot better, but the additions 19 included were substantial enough to differentiate it. Looking forward to the new stuff 20 puts in, but I'll keep my expectations fully in check.

---

Rebuilding the Sabres has been a consistent struggle. I've re-lived this year's epic collapse at least twice in five seasons. I've started strong, only to lose 8-15(!) games in a row mid-season causing my owner to continuously revert to that silly "acquire a first round pick" goal. So I'm left to turn over my roster until I consistently win games, and it looks like it's finally happened in 2022.

The 2022-23 season is the first time I've ever come close to Cup contendership, and that's after letting nearly all of my depth on the third and fourth line hit free agency.

I filled my third line, fourth line and third defensive pairing with rookie call-ups from the AHL. I also managed to turn things around by trading away disgruntled players, which included wingers on my top two scoring lines (Jeff Skinner and Mike Hoffman). Currently in the second round of the playoffs against the Leafs.

---

Interestingly enough, after 2018-19 I ended up drafting 6th in this year's draft, which is one spot above where they drafted on Friday night. Thanks to generic American players and silly draft logic, Kappo Kakko somehow fell to me??? I mean, I could have gone with Cozens like they did IRL, but I couldn't resist.

And in something else that will only happen in the NHL series, Toronto qualified Mitch Marner on July 1st and still put him on the trading block. I traded Alex Nylander, Jake McCabe and a few high-end picks for his rights. Ended up paying him $10 million a year for 8 years when all was said and done. Yep, only in a video game.

---

Eventually ended up shaking the core by trading for (then trading away) Mike Hoffman, as well as letting go of Jeff Skinner and Sam Reinhart. Their morale was very low and I felt, after constantly missing the playoffs and eventually getting swept in the first round, that I needed to change things up.

Traded Skinner and a future 1st on Draft Day 2021 for the negotiating rights to 35-year old UFA Alex Ovechkin. Washington's trade value was ridiculously low, but I still had to retain around 500k of Skinner's salary. Ovie denied every offer I gave him, so he hit free agency. Thankfully, he eventually accepted a 3-year, 7.7M offer to join the team. A bargain for a future hall of famer, albeit one with a declining 89 OVR rating (85 a year later), but hey --- that's NHL 19 for you.

Eventually traded the disgruntled Reinhart at the 2021 trade deadline for Jake Guentzel, who Pittsburgh put on the block with a shockingly low trade value. Missed the playoffs, but the draft lottery somehow awarded me the 3rd overall pick.

---

Drafted Canadian LW Jake "Don't Call Me Rico" Fata and instantly signed him to an ELC as my eventual Ovechkin replacement on the third line. Right now, he sits at 80 OVR with Mid Elite potential.

I don't know if morale affects CPU teams, but I traded Mike Hoffman on Draft Day 2022 to the Blues for a --- once again --- low-valued Jaden Schwartz. I had to eat $1M of Hoffman's $6M+ salary, threw in Tage Thompson and two second rounders, but Schwartz filled in very well on my second scoring line.

With Eichel and Marner making $10M, Ovie making $7.7M, Dahlin/Ristolainen both in upwards of $7M a year and not only Schwartz but the newly re-signed Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen making $6M, I had to let nearly all of my third and fourth liners hit free agency or leave in pick trades.

Before July 1, 2022, I had Juhjar Khaira, Zach Hyman, Tyler Bertuzzi, Oskar Lindberg, Viktor Olofsson, Casey Mittelstadt and the aforementioned Tage Thompson on my bottom six. All, with the exception of Mittelstadt and Olofsson, left the team.

After very little free agent spending (defenseman Connor Carrick on a one-year deal), I decided to call up five or six prospects from the AHL, plus three AHL/rookie defensemen.

I ended up trading one of those defensive prospects and a second round pick in 2023 to Dallas for a trade-blocked Esa Lindell, Erik Gudbranson and a late round pick at the 2022-23 deadline, via CPU proposal. Lindell still had three years' term on his deal, and I needed to win now.

2022-23 provided my highest win total, and, most importantly...no crushing mid-season slump! I eventually finished 2nd in the Eastern Conference behind Toronto with 103 points. Jack Eichel lead all Sabres with 52 goals and 90 points, while Ovechkin netted 40 and totaled around 80. Marner was third with around 50 assists and 80 points.

---

Here's my roster as it stands in Round 2 of the playoffs against Toronto:

OLDvechkin - Eichel - Marner
Schwartz - Guentzel - Kakko (#6!!!, 2019 Draft)
Jake Fata (#3, 2022) - Mittelstadt - Arthur Kaliyev (#31, 2019)
Marcus Davidsson (#37, 2017) - Kasper Simontaival (2020 Draft) - Olofsson

Dahlin - Montour
Esa Lindell - Connor Carrick
Linus Cronholm (#117, 2018) - Gudbranson
Ristolainen (out 60+ days)

Luukkonen
Ullmark

Scratches: Kent Law (2021 Draft), Oskari Laaksonen (#89, 2017)

---

So, final thoughts, the scouting system may be flawed and there's way too many Elite potential players for my liking --- well, at least on draft day before their development shows who they really are --- but it's some of the most fun I've had since Eastside Hockey Manager's draft system. No, it isn't anything close to the depth that system has, because within five years you'll likely have all A/B level scouts anyway. But it's not bad at all. Year 10ish of the infamous in-game rubberband AI, on the other hand...

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 06-24-2019 at 02:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »