Home

Having a blast

This is a discussion on Having a blast within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Having a blast

Preface – I strictly use the True Broadcast camera and only play offline. As controls are more difficult on this camera, I drop the level to Pro.

Other changes (from stock settings) are game speed at 1 (anything above looks and feels too fast in True Broadcast) and I also drop the back skating speed to 20, which I think is more realistic as it creates more separation between forwards who skate with momentum and defenders who are caught flat footed.

I’ve been having a blast in my Season mode with Boston – I love that in Boston the broadcast camera is a little further and higher – which gives a larger view of the ice.
My ultimate wish would be for EA to implement a tweakable True Broadcast camera angle. I would take it even further back – allowing for even more of the ice to be visible.

Overall I do not remember having this much fun since the days when EA implemented the skill stick. The new skating makes for a realistic flow of the game and the poke checking is just perfect with the latest tuner. if I remember to be disciplined (i.e. track back with my forwards instead of switching immediately to my defenders when in my zone), I have some amazing, tight games with a good variety of goals and saves. Stats also look realistic at 6 minute periods.

Last edited by iaxy; 11-07-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Having a blast

Are you strictly default settings on the latest tuner 1.03 besides the couple changes you mentioned?

I'm trying hard to like/love this game and I'm not quite there yet so eager to try things that are giving people the satisfaction you're describing.

Side note...It is shocking how much I miss custom music from the PS3 games.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
Rookie

I have to agree with you i have been having a blast aswell playing the game have been working on a way to get quite a few people involved in a Armchair GM site where games are simulated and we go season by season to have fun with more people as a community but other than that i like playing Frnachise mode, and HUT.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
Are you strictly default settings on the latest tuner 1.03 besides the couple changes you mentioned?

I'm trying hard to like/love this game and I'm not quite there yet so eager to try things that are giving people the satisfaction you're describing.
To be honest I don't remember what the stock sliders looked like, but looking at mine, I have some values which might be different from the stock sliders. Specifically - puck control at 20, pass interceptions at 80, pass reception ease at 25, reception reaction time at 20. All of these are for both user and CPU by the way.

The biggest game changer for me is how I approach the game. If I stay disciplined, clog the passing lanes and play good positional hockey, like hockey should be played, then it is fun. However, if I fall in the trap of being aggressive, chasing the CPU around the rink, and going for hits all the time then it's not only frustrating, but also repetitive.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by iaxy; 11-07-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
To be honest I don't remember what the stock sliders looked like, but looking at mine, I have some values which might be different from the stock sliders. Specifically - puck control at 20, pass interceptions at 80, pass reception ease at 25, reception reaction time at 20. All of these are for both user and CPU by the way.

The biggest game changer for me is how I approach the game. If I stay disciplined, clog the passing lanes and play good positional hockey, like hockey should be played, then it is fun. However, if I fall in the trap of being aggressive, chasing the CPU around the rink, and going for hits all the time then it's not only frustrating, but also repetitive.

Hope that helps!
Those are the default values for those sliders on simulation settings.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
MVP

I don't know if I'm going to be long for this game..

I'm mystified watching defenders pluck the puck clean from me, from behind, when they are totally beat (completely behind me in chase).

It never ends up being a penalty and the way they catch up and flawlessly steal the puck and immediately go the other way...

I'm sorry - it just doesn't look like anything I ever see in NHL hockey on TV.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
I don't know if I'm going to be long for this game..

I'm mystified watching defenders pluck the puck clean from me, from behind, when they are totally beat (completely behind me in chase).

It never ends up being a penalty and the way they catch up and flawlessly steal the puck and immediately go the other way...

I'm sorry - it just doesn't look like anything I ever see in NHL hockey on TV.
You are hitting the "hustle" button correct? I use it quite a bit to gain speed over a defense man chasing me.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You are hitting the "hustle" button correct? I use it quite a bit to gain speed over a defense man chasing me.
I assume so - L3 right? Like press down and through the click when controlling the player (I'm on PS4)

Them "catching me" aside, I find it hyper ridiculous how they can catch and pluck from directly behind so cleanly and easily. If I did what they are doing I'd instantly get a penalty (from my experience anyhow).

I actually have issues with the AI pass interceptions also - seems like they can stop anything going across the ice - will have to try to tweak that.. I just don't love this game so far

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »