Home

NHL 19 vs 18

This is a discussion on NHL 19 vs 18 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Upgrade from 18 to 19?
Yes, spend the thirty bucks 42 87.50%
Stick with 18 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
Rookie

pmanwhite333's Arena

OVR: 0
NHL 19 vs 18

I've been playing the NHL games for a few years now (15, 16, and 18), and stick pretty strictly to franchise mode. I've held off on 19 because of school and RDR2, but now that it's on sale for $30 I'm tempted to pull the trigger. The updates for this year (particularly in franchise) look great, but it seems like the widespread consensus is that from a gameplay standpoint EA has completely wrecked a game that was great during the beta. For you guys that have played both, should I cave on this sale and upgrade to 19--or is it not enough of an improvement to justify moving on from 18? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

Re: NHL 19 vs 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanwhite333
I've been playing the NHL games for a few years now (15, 16, and 18), and stick pretty strictly to franchise mode. I've held off on 19 because of school and RDR2, but now that it's on sale for $30 I'm tempted to pull the trigger. The updates for this year (particularly in franchise) look great, but it seems like the widespread consensus is that from a gameplay standpoint EA has completely wrecked a game that was great during the beta. For you guys that have played both, should I cave on this sale and upgrade to 19--or is it not enough of an improvement to justify moving on from 18? Thanks!
Don't get too caught up in the whole "game is wrecked" conversations. Yes there are things that aren't the best on this game, thanks to some tuner updates from EA, but they can be overcome.

To me, 19 is a much more solid game compared to 18. There are some little annoyances in 19's franchise mode which seemed to have slipped in (I'm only talking about cosmetic - like players stats disappearing when sent to minors) but overall seriously a much better game IMO.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:00 AM   #3
Pro

WeAreAllKings's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanwhite333

With it being on sale, I’d grab it because there’s enough slider threads around that you should be able to find one that fits your style. And there’s four different tuners that you can use in conjunction with the sliders as well. The new scouting system in franchise mode is well worth it. Now if we can get EA to stop wrecking the NHL series we’d be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-23-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

No reason not to get it for 30 bucks.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Rookie

RagingTrav's Arena

OVR: 2

Came here to ask the same question. Looks like I'll be picking up NHL 19 tomorrow morning
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

1.01 is the current offline go-to tuner. It works very well for the Full Sim setting, if that's the style you prefer. I use it without any slider adjustments and it's been working great. Stats are good and games are fun.

So, for $30, I'd buy it. There is a bit of a learning curve from '18 but you should realize sooner than later that '19's the better game.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Rookie

pmanwhite333's Arena

Looks like I'll go ahead and pull the trigger. Big sim guy, so I'll stick with 1.01. Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

For $30 - using tuner 1.01 - yeah, a much improved game and worth it. The only problem is: the game is the SAME presentation year after year after year after year.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »