Home

Ratings matter?

This is a discussion on Ratings matter? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Demo Available Now, Features Kick-Off Mode and VOLTA Football - Post Your Impressions Here
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #17
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ratings matter?

see u just saw it worked , u won and u lost to buffalo, so my theory works, I suggest u play 25 games , and see how many u loose next, that's my theory.

I had nick name for it, I called it Savior of NHL Series and Win some...Lose some... Mechanic, I was first to go all way to Stanley Cup Finals in 2016 as Winnipeg Jets 3 years after in first season in franchise, we faced pittsburge and had 53-25-7 record and 52-25-5, we went 16-4 and 16-3, that year, before NHL 17-18-19, so for years I kept asking for this mechanic to come back, cause it felt real.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 03-02-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #18
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Uhhh, what?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 1

this has been my issue with this series as well. I last played about 7 years ago and i played EAHL exclusively.

There is no player individuality in this game yes 1st liners and 4th liners have the same impact and access to the same moves. every goalie plays the same that was my biggest gripe back then as marc-andre fleury and ben bishop play exactly the same.

Casuals dont care and EA across all their series cant capture player individuality.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #20
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

The problem is that you cannot create separation with a 0-99 ratings system.

They'd be much better of going to a grade system with attributes that create further seperations.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
The problem is that you cannot create separation with a 0-99 ratings system.

They'd be much better of going to a grade system with attributes that create further seperations.
its not the ratings system..other series have done it the NHL2k series got player individuality down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
Rookie

intrepid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
its not the ratings system..other series have done it the NHL2k series got player individuality down.
NHL 2k also had only 2 leagues for the most part (NHL & AHL). Much easier to create player separation on a 0-99 scale when you have only 2 leagues with similar talent levels, so you can spread ratings across the entire scale. When you have to include the ECHL, OHL, QMJHL, european leagues, etc along with the NHL and AHL, with widely varying talent levels in those leagues, (and you want an NHL team to handily beat a team from a lower level league) the ratings become more compressed, as you have to rate all talent in all leagues on the same 0-99 scale relative to each other. This gives lesser ratings separation of players within each league as it forces NHL & AHL players to the top of the scale and ECHL players near the bottom, with players of "average" or "promising" talent in the middle. I suppose its even worse since my guess is there aren't many players in the game rated lower than say 50, thus compressing the ratings even more giving even less separation.

If you want true player separation, especially with the NHL teams, you need a game with only NHL/AHL level talent of players in it, so you can spread their ratings across the entire 0-99 scale. Or most of it anyway if you want to include the lesser talented national teams as well.

Last edited by intrepid; 04-05-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #23
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

I could do without all those other leagues if it would make the NHL players have more separation. I can count on one hand how many times Iíve used a team that wasnít NHL or AHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #24
Rookie

No matter what is said by EA representatives, ratings does NOT matter in EA hockey games. When I was still playing EA NHL games, I used to play by "coaching" the team and watching CPU vs. CPU games. You could select any CHL team and play against NHL All-star team and you just couldn't tell which team was supposed to be far superior. And no, the sliders didn't change that.

When I tested this in a 5 game series, All-Star team won 3 games out of 5 and CHL team 2. I really find it disgusting that anyone from EA is telling us that the ratings would do any difference - besides the fancy graphics and "bars" mentioned in this thread. The gameplay itself is tied only on strategy and there's just no code in the game for allowing players to diverge from the team/line strategy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »