Home

What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

This is a discussion on What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #25
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

I thought this game was the best it has been on this console, but I don't believe that absolves the game of it's flaws.

Frankly the game does feel pretty similar to NHL 14 on the ice for many of the reasons discussed in the article. All of the tweaks and additions here and there have edged the play on the ice in an incrementally better direction, but at some point we need to see the changes add depth and a more enjoyable experience to the game.

Players having no major difference in feel between them has always been a major sticking point, and really digging deep to fix this issue would help the stale feel of the game. Even the simply differences such as speed add another level of depth to your strategy and play on the ice. It adds a whole new pleasure to drafting or signing players by giving you direct controlled feedback to the work you did.

Strategies and everything related to it and line changes need to be completely overhauled. The options for how to deploy your team in all 3 areas of the ice is incredibly lacking, and makes a minimum effort to explain itself. Line changes are apart of strategy, and become almost a game inside a game. It is basically absent in the NHL series despite it being such a crucial part of the real game.

Penalties need to be more reliable. The computer shouldn't take the same penalty repeatedly against me in the same manner as a minute earlier. It should change how it's playing.

Outside of that, make the game work out of the box for all the difficulty levels, and Arcade or Simulation. It shouldn't take hours of slider adjustments to make the game play and a suitable level. Why would you need to adjust the default settings to make the game play more dynamic and creatively? Isn't that the idea? Isn't being more generic the opposit of how it should play?

I want the game to improve a lot, and I appreciate each small improvement between titles, but you have to give some depth to keep me intrested.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
I thought this game was the best it has been on this console, but I don't believe that absolves the game of it's flaws.

Frankly the game does feel pretty similar to NHL 14 on the ice for many of the reasons discussed in the article. All of the tweaks and additions here and there have edged the play on the ice in an incrementally better direction, but at some point we need to see the changes add depth and a more enjoyable experience to the game.

Players having no major difference in feel between them has always been a major sticking point, and really digging deep to fix this issue would help the stale feel of the game. Even the simply differences such as speed add another level of depth to your strategy and play on the ice. It adds a whole new pleasure to drafting or signing players by giving you direct controlled feedback to the work you did.

Strategies and everything related to it and line changes need to be completely overhauled. The options for how to deploy your team in all 3 areas of the ice is incredibly lacking, and makes a minimum effort to explain itself. Line changes are apart of strategy, and become almost a game inside a game. It is basically absent in the NHL series despite it being such a crucial part of the real game.

Penalties need to be more reliable. The computer shouldn't take the same penalty repeatedly against me in the same manner as a minute earlier. It should change how it's playing.

Outside of that, make the game work out of the box for all the difficulty levels, and Arcade or Simulation. It shouldn't take hours of slider adjustments to make the game play and a suitable level. Why would you need to adjust the default settings to make the game play more dynamic and creatively? Isn't that the idea? Isn't being more generic the opposit of how it should play?

I want the game to improve a lot, and I appreciate each small improvement between titles, but you have to give some depth to keep me intrested.
Agree with your post, particularly the part about all the slider tweaks to make the game even playable. I still have not found the right balance to play 20 min periods with realistic stats. The SHOW sliders this year are almost perfect at default. Face off also need to be overhauled. There should be ability to be kicked out of circle. We also need back ability to see away line change before home line change and to edit players in franchise or season. Way more in game stats needed. NHL series has made a lot of progress but it is still way behind the other sports.

Last edited by knich; 04-26-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoalies
I was about to go update them as of now, am assuming u are using the 20 minuts with ai learning at 0, yah just gimmie couple minutes I go update them.

Updated! slider am currently, am using the ai learning 0 and coach mode sliders.
How many shots per game is CPU averaging on 20 min?
Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
How many shots per game is CPU averaging on 20 min?

I get too many shots and hits, I just ignore that and focus on the scores, if I can keep scores low, that's good thing, I've played 3 games 2 of sliders them have been low, trick is keep to keep ai learning at 0 and cpu strategy adjustment: 4, now for coach mode its different I need ai learning at max and cpu strategy adjustment at 5, if u view my both sliders, you'll see why I have them set up that way.

the coach mode sliders , I've never had so much fun in my life, I must've played like 15 - 25 games in total, I change strategies during the game, cause its so random, u have to take full command of the strategies during the game, to become expert at it, I'd say coach mode is pretty stable at moment, so Is my ones with ai learning at 0 and stuff.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 04-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoalies
I get too many shots and hits, I just ignore that and focus on the scores, if I can keep scores low, that's good thing, I've played 3 games 2 of sliders them have been low, trick is keep to keep ai learning at 0 and cpu strategy adjustment: 4, now for coach mode its different I need ai learning at max and cpu strategy adjustment at 5, if u view my both sliders, you'll see why I have them set up that way.

the coach mode sliders , I've never had so much fun in my life, I must've played like 15 - 25 games in total, I change strategies during the game, cause its so random, u have to take full command of the strategies during the game, to become expert at it, I'd say coach mode is pretty stable at moment, so Is my ones with ai learning at 0 and stuff.
I tried your sliders on AS. I think they are one of the best I've tried so far, although I reduced speed to 4 otherwise you have no playoff hockey speed. If only we could stop the CPU from shooting at will and there be a little more board play/cycling and neutral zone aggression/stick play then the replay value would be so much higher.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I tried your sliders on AS. I think they are one of the best I've tried so far, although I reduced speed to 4 otherwise you have no playoff hockey speed. If only we could stop the CPU from shooting at will and there be a little more board play/cycling and neutral zone aggression/stick play then the replay value would be so much higher.

I've tried everything do that, to get them not shoot as much, no avail, I just decided to live with it, I even asked the NHL Developer about that, he said 'if play 20 minutes the stats go jump really high, we haven't found solution'

is how he put it at the time, so I just took it and ran with it, if I can keep scores low that's good, am happy with that.

if u like it can u rate my franchise thread with gold star, so I can feel applicated, so I know am doing good things, so my work ain't feeling like its not going to waste. , I'd be very happy camper and proud, that I got a gold star finally, I have had one yet for whole year, then It can come back for next year.

one thing ea developer said years ago was very strange I will quote what he said 'we just don't have technology or tech to copy real life results of real hockey game yet, in tell technology and tech evolves we can't produce a full 20 minute results and stats yet, in tell then u will have to use lower periods to get realistic amount of stats in tell then.'

I was stunned by that, what's he waiting for, how's it I can produce good results , even though there's a lot of shots and hits, that's head scratcher .

that's got me thinking now, more cycling and board plays and stuff.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 04-27-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #31
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

so u wanted playoff style slider with more teeth, so I did some adjustments to it, coach mode sliders, am testing them out now as we speak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #32
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

its not as bad as it is made in the article. based on that what rating did it get here?
3/10?

for me I have seen plenty of different goals, not every rush feels the same either, there is some more septeration as well, why am I scoring way more goals with my top players if it is just speed? the offside issue does not exist for me to such extend.

SM-G955F

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »