Home

What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

This is a discussion on What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murrayís Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20

Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #33
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

I've been debating actually to lower one settings, I keep seeing 5-4 scores, game is good, just hmm..., there's gotta be lower those scores tad more, first time I had it was scores of 6-3, that was awesome, might lower that setting tad more, not pass speed reception ease, the other one, with 54, pass speed reaction reception, gonna test out 45 & 52 & 30 (default setting I had at first), does everyone like those 5-4 scores, am just not sure now, for coach mode sliders.

its good for high scoring and playoff style scores, just the GAA sure is high though.

Decided on 52 , on Pass Speed Reaction Reception., hope it helps u all with winning games and scores.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 05-05-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think an over haul of leadership needs to happen. Rammer needs to go.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan13
I think an over haul of leadership needs to happen. Rammer needs to go.
I've been saying this since 2013. The game was "fun" in 2009/10 when Littman was in charge, but when Rammer took over in 2011 things began to go downhill. Not only does Ramjagsingh need to go, but the game engine requires a 100% overhaul as well. Unfortunately though, that's not going to happen anytime soon due to the cost and time involved to do so and NHL sales wise is at the bottom of their sporting list. HUT is the mode that's keeping them afloat.

So if there is an NHL 20, all it's going to be is another update on 19 where they're touting this and that as new and improved features but in reality will be nothing more than a patch (band-aid) on their current game and engine. I'd love for EA to shock and prove me wrong though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #36
Rookie

shanev's Arena

OVR: 3

I totally agree with you. This is the first time that Iíve completely stopped playing NHL. Itís mostly just an exercise in frustration. You are dead on about making players feel different, they donít at all. I think they are afraid to rate players lower (in the very early version of the game there were players rated in the 40s!). And this game needs sliders that work, no matter what settings I find, the game starts playing different by the second or third period. I will say that I thought franchise mode was much better this year though.

Need better sliders, a pass/shoot ratio, players that feel different, and roster sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #37
Rookie

KoryDub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures
I've been saying this since 2013. The game was "fun" in 2009/10 when Littman was in charge, but when Rammer took over in 2011 things began to go downhill. Not only does Ramjagsingh need to go, but the game engine requires a 100% overhaul as well. Unfortunately though, that's not going to happen anytime soon due to the cost and time involved to do so and NHL sales wise is at the bottom of their sporting list. HUT is the mode that's keeping them afloat.

So if there is an NHL 20, all it's going to be is another update on 19 where they're touting this and that as new and improved features but in reality will be nothing more than a patch (band-aid) on their current game and engine. I'd love for EA to shock and prove me wrong though.
Littman was far more hands-on and community oriented.

I've been lucky enough to have been involved in quite a few 'Community Days' at the NHL studio over the years, and what stood out to me was how far more impactful the gameplay producers are versus Rammer.

Rammer seems to drive focus on high level things such as presentation. Just listen to some of the interviews he used to do - there was a time during a media blitz for NHL 15 or 16 that he seemed only focused on the fact that the new crowd enhancements included fans taking selfies.

Littman, on the other hand, released videos during development that outlined some of the awesome changes that were coming up.

Now, they hide behind the corporate BS that "we can't talk about anything unreleased" where other - more community focused developers/publishers lay out the roadmap and use feedback to guide it in the direction most favorable by the community.

Plus - they seem to think arguing with trolls on twitter and their stupid forums is 'community involvement' but all it does is validate the know-it-alls who think their 0 years of development experience supersedes all of the industry-defining work EA has done for the NHL series.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's a hard feat to recreate real hockey as a video game for a variety of reasons.

In hockey momentum/inertia plays a big part in the portray of the sport.
Speed and the various degrees of burst (with their corresponding animations) are also very hard to illustrate correctly.

That said, EA has been using the same platform for too many years now and it has started to feel and look really stale. I stopped playing the game in November. Every time I want to give it another chance and boot it up, I switch off the PS4 within 5 minutes of starting a game. It just feels like an endless repetition of the same thing.

In order of priority, for me EA must:

1. Provide more variety in the presentation, specifically more camera angles. A zoomable broadcast angle is my top priority by far.

2. Better / smoother animations.

3. Differentiation in speed / burst / momentum.

4. Smarter AI

5. Simple smart mechanics such as an automated turning of the skater to keep a puck onside near a blue line or an angled approach near the boards to ensure a smooth pick up.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:00 AM   #39
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Watching the NHL playoffs made me realize this game has a TON of work to do if it wants to actually appeal at all to their franchise mode fans.

I really think it's time for a new producer and team.. and a new direction.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 24

I thought this year's game was great. I hope they focus on offline players more this year, enough with the "new ways to play!" and online modes - they are fine, but adding in new modes every year is just ridiculous (looking at you, The Show). 3s, HUT, EASHL, BAP, Franchise mode. There's your core.

For franchise mode, I really hope they focus on roster sharing, player differential (if every player is between 80 and 85, it doesn't really matter who you sign), world-building (especially in free agency/trading, etc.). Scouting is great, could use some fine-tuning but the core is good. I would love if they added coaches and brought back create-a-play or strategies. We need teams to play different!

For gameplay, goalies need a huge overhaul and I would love if they made the game feel more emotional in big moments. Hockey is driven by emotion, they need to try to capture that.

Overall, I thought 19 was a blast and a great game. I hope 20 is more building on that foundation because it's a good game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »