Home

What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

This is a discussion on What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

Over the last few years the NHL has evolved into a different animal. No longer is...

Written By: Ryan

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Needs a PC release, first.*
Old 04-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
What is it with folks wanting to stick Frostbite into sports games? It's a FPS engine with no assets for a hockey game. It doesn't even translate well to 3rd person shooters, it just makes for shiny graphics and passable details. Ignite is built for sports games specifically why switch? I always see folks asking for Frostbite but I don't know why?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: What NHL 20 Needs to Do on the Ice to Succeed

And after reading the troubles Anthem has with Frostbite, I’m not so sure I want to see NHL try it. This has been a lost console for this series in many ways.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
The NHL series has been stale for several years. A complete overhaul of the gameplay mechanics, AI and animations is required imo. This is the first time in years where I have lost interest in playing the game. Picked it up on release day and only played it for about a month. Haven't touched it since. Just not fun anymore.*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Good article.

Hm, but could anybody please remind me what was the review score for NHL 19 few months ago on this place?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
The NHL series has been stale for several years. A complete overhaul of the gameplay mechanics, AI and animations is required imo. This is the first time in years where I have lost interest in playing the game. Picked it up on release day and only played it for about a month. Haven't touched it since. Just not fun anymore.*
We are on the same page here. Too many good pc and console games for me to want to play the same NHL game this year. I'm going to try to get back into it with the new roster update but it's been a difficult journey.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Rookie

KoryDub's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
What is it with folks wanting to stick Frostbite into sports games? It's a FPS engine with no assets for a hockey game. It doesn't even translate well to 3rd person shooters, it just makes for shiny graphics and passable details. Ignite is built for sports games specifically why switch? I always see folks asking for Frostbite but I don't know why?
Frostbite is an EA engine designed to encapsulate all of their games under one hood.

Unforunately, documentation is horrible and studios have to put countless hours in to transitioning the engines to Frostbite with typically no benefit.

In the social media world (especially the echochambers where the 'EA sux' circle jerks run strong and deep) the kids say things like 'Frostbite would be awesome' with literally zero idea of what they're saying. They only say it because all of the other people who hate on EA for fun have been saying it.

This article lost me at this line:

"When playing NHL 19, there is zero creativity available at your disposal. "

That is statement made by someone who gets stuck in the patterns that NHL gives you and other players so there's less responsibility to be creative.

However, there's PLENTY of tools at your disposal to be as creative as you want. Just because you are unaware or unwilling or incapable of executing said creativity with any shred of success does not mean it is absent.

"I buy the game every year, play it a few times, whine about all the issues, let it sit on my shelf untouched for the next 10 months, "

How does this qualify as someone who has any authority to say what NHL 20 needs? If you only 'play the game a few times' - you're in no position to assert what NHL 20 'needs'.

Last edited by KoryDub; 04-23-2019 at 11:07 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »