Home

EA adds developers to NHL 20

This is a discussion on EA adds developers to NHL 20 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA adds developers to NHL 20

The Anser is what one of the developers said last year when asked about NHL coming back to pc , He stated if the interest was there they would need to bring on more people to port it over....
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 10

NHL has never gotten Frostbite, which has immeasurably improved the other games that got it. It ain't because they're afraid of modding. They simply don't care about the series. It makes just enough money to keep them happy and to retain the license with the NHL. As long as they break even, they can justify retaining the license and that allows them to control the market, tiny as it is. A friend who works at Ubisoft once explained to me that NHL not being developed further makes no sense from a game dev perspective unless you actually don't need to develop it further because it allows you to make just enough money to keep it alive. Basically, he said, it's a bigger loss in the short and long run to kill it from many perspectives. So, you just keep it on life support making nothing but cosmetic changes because any more resources used than that isn't financially justifiable. Now, this news could mark a change but then they'll just get themselves into another 5-yr plan and we'll get **** games for the next 4 years. My prediction? This changes nothing. But I'm too busy playing 2K and old PC NHL games to care.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #19
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
NHL has never gotten Frostbite, which has immeasurably improved the other games that got it. It ain't because they're afraid of modding. They simply don't care about the series. It makes just enough money to keep them happy and to retain the license with the NHL. As long as they break even, they can justify retaining the license and that allows them to control the market, tiny as it is. A friend who works at Ubisoft once explained to me that NHL not being developed further makes no sense from a game dev perspective unless you actually don't need to develop it further because it allows you to make just enough money to keep it alive. Basically, he said, it's a bigger loss in the short and long run to kill it from many perspectives. So, you just keep it on life support making nothing but cosmetic changes because any more resources used than that isn't financially justifiable. Now, this news could mark a change but then they'll just get themselves into another 5-yr plan and we'll get **** games for the next 4 years. My prediction? This changes nothing. But I'm too busy playing 2K and old PC NHL games to care.
Moving to a new engine is no easy thing, and while they need to move to Frostbite, I would disagree that it has made a major difference in EA's other sports titles. Its more or less made them prettier, and slightly better gameplay wise.

Most if the problems in Madden for instance, remained the same. 18 and 19 were probably 2 of the least liked games since the jump to the current gen of consoles.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Moving to a new engine is no easy thing, and while they need to move to Frostbite, I would disagree that it has made a major difference in EA's other sports titles. Its more or less made them prettier, and slightly better gameplay wise.

Most if the problems in Madden for instance, remained the same. 18 and 19 were probably 2 of the least liked games since the jump to the current gen of consoles.
Ok, well I'd have to say that your opinion is in the minority of the people I've spoken to, but that's why we're in a forum. So that different ideas can interact. In my opinion it's a massive difference. But we'll be splitting hairs until the end of time.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #21
Rookie

KoryDub's Arena

Quote:
Frostbite, which has immeasurably improved the other games that got it.
Care to elaborate on the improvements to Madden and FIFA that cannot be measured? Because the consensus in those communities is that Frostbite has had little impact on the game overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryDub
Care to elaborate on the improvements to Madden and FIFA that cannot be measured? Because the consensus in those communities is that Frostbite has had little impact on the game overall.
Nope. Unless you have the power to put me on trial in a forum for an opinion.
But since we're nitpicking at people's opinions, "those communities" is a very vague way to express the different types of people who play EA games. There are several. They don't all have the same opinion or reason for playing the game and the ones I belong to thoroughly appreciate Frostbite.

Last edited by tinpanalley; 06-19-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #23
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Nope. Unless you have the power to put me on trial in a forum for an opinion.
But since we're nitpicking at people's opinions, "those communities" is a very vague way to express the different types of people who play EA games. There are several. They don't all have the same opinion or reason for playing the game and the ones I belong to thoroughly appreciate Frostbite.
I think both of you guys are actually right. There are areas where I feel those games improved (no idea wether that’s related to Frostbite or not) and likewise legacy issues still plague EA games regardless of the move to Frostbite so I would say both points of view are valid.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
People have absolutely despised FIFA 19 even in the competitive scene. Frostbite isn't the magic answer, and I don't think that engine automatically makes any game better. I thought Madden 18-19 were terrible, and I thought FIFA felt the same as it did on Ignite. Not to mention the fact that the developers on Anthem hate Frostbite due to the lack of documentation on the engine, I don't think it would be smart for NHL to make the jump. They're already understaffed as we've all heard before, so asking them to port to an engine that lacks documentation is a tall order for a small team.

Hopefully with the next-gen consoles on the brink of releasing, EA makes a smart investment in a new sports-friendly engine (Not Frostbite) so that hopefully we can see some AI improvements for NHL over the upcoming 8-10 year cycle unlike this last 9 year cycle we all had to suffer through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »