Home

NHL 20 Adds Authentic Signature Shots, Revamped Broadcast Package, New Game Mode & More - Cover Athlete is Auston Matthews

This is a discussion on NHL 20 Adds Authentic Signature Shots, Revamped Broadcast Package, New Game Mode & More - Cover Athlete is Auston Matthews within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #25
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 20 Adds Authentic Signature Shots, Revamped Broadcast Package, New Game Mode

Instead of releasing Battle Royal Mode, let's remove it and EA can have a Battle Royal in the office.

Whoever pushed this in a Hockey game gets a pink slip. Whoever didn't wins!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #26
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 20 Adds Authentic Signature Shots, Revamped Broadcast Package, New Game Mode

Here’s what I can all
But guarantee we don’t get.

A fix in A.I.: the A.I. will still wander, make poor line changes, and abandon the man in the slot for the easy money one timer.

A fix to the clipping issues: pucks will still pass through pads and sticks through the boards and legs.

Player Separation: sure we will be able to tell the difference between Matthews shot as opposed to a 4th line scrub but that will be about the only difference.

Roster Share: no reason it shouldn’t have been in the past releases....no reason to believe it will be in this one.

Commentary: about time we get a change here but I”m sure that during my season if I’m on a 10 game win streak the announcers will discuss how poorly my goalie has been playing....lazy. Not even going to mention the idiocy of having rappers announce.

The above things have been asked for over and over and over. They go ignored and unfixed for years. We get gimmicks and a poorly done roster update wrapped in a new box.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #27
Rookie

I guess that NBC deal is finally up eh? Time to inject random rappers on the commentary team in a hockey game, because that's totally what anyone asked for. A total move away from realism!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #28
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
I'm actually interested in this game for the first time in years.* Going to give it a shot when EA Access comes to PS4.

Going to be the last good NHL game until 2021 too because every sports game in existence is going to be copy/paste for 2020 so they can focus on the next gen of consoles and bringing their game to them at launch in November.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a skeleton team worked on this years game too and most of the dev team was pushed to the next gen version.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
Rookie

PhillsPhan26's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I'm actually interested in this game for the first time in years.* Going to give it a shot when EA Access comes to PS4.

Going to be the last good NHL game until 2021 too because every sports game in existence is going to be copy/paste for 2020 so they can focus on the next gen of consoles and bringing their game to them at launch in November.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a skeleton team worked on this years game too and most of the dev team was pushed to the next gen version.
When this Gen console was released, there was no NHL for the first year if I recall correctly. I would not be surprised if NHL 22 is the release for next Gen.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #30
Rookie

@BA2929

I SERIOUSLY hope that I'm mis-reading your sarcasm.

When NHL moved from PS3 to PS4, they hung back a year, and said they were doing it so that NHL 15 could be its best on the new generation.* I distinctly remember this, because I hadn't upgraded to PS4 at the time, so I was okay with NHL 14 being only on PS3.

Then NHL 15 finally arrived on PS4, and it was...definitely not the product of a two year dev cycle, to put it charitably.* EA would eventually go the gaslighting route, and deny they ever gave that excuse for not having NHL 14 ready at the PS4 launch.* The fact remains that NHL 15 was a giant step backwards, and five years later, we are still waiting for the return of features, functions, and even ENTIRE MODES (GM Connected, e.g.) that have been removed.

Take the commentary as a glaring example.* Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were a bit of a throwback, but there was a huge database that they had to build on year to year.* The community was saying they wanted new commentators, but a couple voices of sanity were saying that you can't blame the talent for a lackluster script; ergo, new voice talent would mean starting all over with the commentary database, which would make it MORE repetitive, not less.* They were right.

Well, now EA is hyping improved commentary, and wow, plus ça change, n'est pas?

What seems to have gotten lost in Vancouver, is that this is an **NHL** game.* And if fans of the real-life NHL don't like it, while the devs keep on ignoring them, and continue catering instead to the shiny-object set, This Will Not End Well.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar81
@BA2929

I SERIOUSLY hope that I'm mis-reading your sarcasm.

When NHL moved from PS3 to PS4, they hung back a year, and said they were doing it so that NHL 15 could be its best on the new generation.* I distinctly remember this, because I hadn't upgraded to PS4 at the time, so I was okay with NHL 14 being only on PS3.

Then NHL 15 finally arrived on PS4, and it was...definitely not the product of a two year dev cycle, to put it charitably.* EA would eventually go the gaslighting route, and deny they ever gave that excuse for not having NHL 14 ready at the PS4 launch.* The fact remains that NHL 15 was a giant step backwards, and five years later, we are still waiting for the return of features, functions, and even ENTIRE MODES (GM Connected, e.g.) that have been removed.

Take the commentary as a glaring example.* Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were a bit of a throwback, but there was a huge database that they had to build on year to year.* The community was saying they wanted new commentators, but a couple voices of sanity were saying that you can't blame the talent for a lackluster script; ergo, new voice talent would mean starting all over with the commentary database, which would make it MORE repetitive, not less.* They were right.

Well, now EA is hyping improved commentary, and wow, plus ça change, n'est pas?

What seems to have gotten lost in Vancouver, is that this is an **NHL** game.* And if fans of the real-life NHL don't like it, while the devs keep on ignoring them, and continue catering instead to the shiny-object set, This Will Not End Well.

It's absolutely marketing bs. I'd be willing the bet the actual reason for the presentation "revamp" or rather from the sounds of it, regression, is their license with NBC Sports is up and rather than renew it, we get this. Does anyone truly believe they'll add commentary over the year just because the guys they use are more local? I don't, in fact they made that claim last year, how much new commentary from Ray Ferraro was added over the course of last year's cycle? None? Exactly.

Too much focus again on online crap and no attention to the offline game, taking a very wait and see approach this year, and I enjoyed 19 with the right sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Did you all not hear about that interview from that well-known former Madden producer? He's talking about how the execs don't care about the hardcore style players' wishes for better gameplay. They care about creating new modes/gimmicks that bring in new casual style players. He also mentioned he wanted to use resources to fix legacy issues that's been plagueing the game for years, but they denied his request. Also, he confirmed that ultimate team is their biggest focus. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out though. My point is that if they wouldn't allow the Madden team to fix gameplay issues, what makes u think EA would allow little ol NHL team to fix theirs. Maybe it's just too hard for people to believe that a company really don't care about their core customers. If there's one thing that's "In the game" is the proof that they do not care about their core gameplay. They're in it to make money and they feel fixing old issues is not going to make them money. Stupid idea to me. One thing is certain that most of the people here year after year claiming that they won't buy it this year always end up purchasing their crap. Then 3 weeks later complaining about what they didn't fix and what they added was trash. So until y'all really stop buying the trash, they're going to keep putting it out every year. So as I've been doing the last few years, I'll rent it, and based on that experience, I'll buy it. Haven't bought it the last few years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »