Home

NHL Series PC Version

This is a discussion on NHL Series PC Version within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
NHL Series PC Version

They really need to bring this game back to the PC. I was hoping NHL20 would be the year they did but no luck.

With Origin Premier subscription this is the one game I really wish I could get every year on PC. Not to mention the ability to modify the game. I know there were a lot of good mods around for the last PC versions of the NHL series, would be good to have that again. I was hoping if they put this on Frostbite engine it would get on to PC but I still don't think they have done that for this series like they did with FIFA and Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL Series PC Version

i think the reason behind why this game is not back on the PC is the fact that the NHL development group is the smallest out of the sports gaming sector.

but who knows maybe it will return as madden and fifa are on the pc now maybe the next step is for the NHL series to return to pc.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Rookie

The reason it's not on PC is because they know we'll mod it, have roster sharing and make it a much better product than they could ever put out, and it'd last for years with the mods like NHL 2005.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
Rookie

KoryDub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAssassin
The reason it's not on PC is because they know we'll mod it, have roster sharing and make it a much better product than they could ever put out, and it'd last for years with the mods like NHL 2005.
I agree that modding would increase enjoyment in this franchise 10 fold.

However, Modding does not equal "making a better product".

It's like putting new curtains and drywall in a house and telling everyone you built it.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryDub
I agree that modding would increase enjoyment in this franchise 10 fold.

However, Modding does not equal "making a better product".

It's like putting new curtains and drywall in a house and telling everyone you built it.
Gotta disagree with you there Kory.

Look at Madden. The modders have been able to not only add a ton of graphical improvements but have been able to mod the gameplay so that its better from a simulation perspective. I'm assuming that the same could happen for NHL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
MVP

I sure hope they eventually do this.

I don’t do anything else with a console and so they are essentially never getting my sales because I’m not buying a console just for one game.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Gotta disagree with you there Kory.

Look at Madden. The modders have been able to not only add a ton of graphical improvements but have been able to mod the gameplay so that its better from a simulation perspective. I'm assuming that the same could happen for NHL.
I think the problem is more that EA would, on the one hand, hate to lose part of their user base on consoles. I mean, it's already small compared to their other EA Sports titles and you can forget about EA enabling something like Cross-platform to negate that problem. For NHL even if they lose a quarter of their number (which is reported to be around the 1 million mark) that hurts their potential revenue. On the other front, they also lose a lot of their control over the game's content because of PC modding. Jerseys, Equipment, Arenas, Player faces (coaches too) and let's not forget Rosters.

Madden and FIFA have much larger user base than NHL. It's not even close. They can afford to have 1 or 2 million players be on PC while the bulk of their players are on consoles.

NHL on PC will never happen. At least don't expect EA to dabble back into it any time soon, if ever.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 08-13-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
I think the problem is more that EA would, on the one hand, hate to lose part of their user base on consoles. I mean, it's already small compared to their other EA Sports titles and you can forget about EA enabling something like Cross-platform to negate that problem. For NHL even if they lose a quarter of their number (which is reported to be around the 1 million mark) that hurts their potential revenue. On the other front, they also lose a lot of their control over the game's content because of PC modding. Jerseys, Equipment, Arenas, Player faces (coaches too) and let's not forget Rosters.

Madden and FIFA have much larger user base than NHL. It's not even close. They can afford to have 1 or 2 million players be on PC while the bulk of their players are on consoles.

NHL on PC will never happen. At least don't expect EA to dabble back into it any time soon, if ever.
I dont think EA cares about losing a percentage of its user base who play on consoles. The money will likely be the same. The majority of people who play the game on PC will likely get it through Origin Premier which puts more money in EA's pocket.

I also dont think they mind losing control over content. EA has 10 games (2 in sports) that are heavily moddable and have been for years. EA doesnt seem to mind it because only a small percentage of people are going to go out and research how to install and use mods.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »