Home

Presentation

This is a discussion on Presentation within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Presentation

They have said that they can bring in Ray and James throughout the year to add stuff so maybe we'll get more nuances. Then again they said this before and I never noticed any new lines mid season.

As for excitement level, everyone complained the past few years there wasn't enough. So I think they compensated the other way.

I think it's fine, as the game will never be a sim, so arcadey commentary works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
They have said that they can bring in Ray and James throughout the year to add stuff so maybe we'll get more nuances. Then again they said this before and I never noticed any new lines mid season.

As for excitement level, everyone complained the past few years there wasn't enough. So I think they compensated the other way.

I think it's fine, as the game will never be a sim, so arcadey commentary works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The commentary updated weekly may be more possible with this new crew versus Doc and Eddie because Doc and Eddie probably have more commitments with NBC than the new guys do with their jobs. Just like how it would have been impossible for Nantz/Simms to do weekly commentary updates versus Gaudin/Davis. Although Charles Davis seems pretty busy like Ray Ferraro.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Rookie

Kinvarus's Arena

OVR: 0

I like some of the new presentation and I don't like some of it. I like the new lines of commentary but why does James sound like he shouted every single word down the mic. Not everything has to sound like an Oh My God! moment. I had one line where I was skating through the neutral zone and said "The Rangers are in transition!" with the same intensity as he would if Ovi had just ripped a one timer from his spot. Tone it down man skating through the neutral zone is not that exciting, they will literally do it for most of the game. And you're right Jame's play by play is like 5-7 words with all of them delievered the same way it really doesn't sound natural and it quite noticeable, even more so than previous years. Yes It got repetitive but it at least sounded natural and not like specific audio files being played when certain things happened like it does this year. It feels like the actual commentary dialogue has taken a step forward but the implementation has taken a step or two back at the same time.

The other thing that bugs me and it's a small thing really but the scoreboard being stretched all the way across the bottom of the screen now and not in the top left, it just feels too video-gamey for me in comparison to TV.

While Doc and Eddie's commentary did get repetitive at least the rest of the NBC presentation was a lot closer to what you get on TV and for a game that every year they try to pass off as realistic, this year it just feels too much like a video game to me if that makes sense.

Last edited by Kinvarus; 09-12-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

A few things that are super important to me is realistic game speed, skating that feels good, an excellent camera and a good presentation. Coming off of 16 I love the true broadcast and it's my favorite camera in a hockey game. Skating feels nice and game speed can be lowered to my liking. This series always has suspect defensive AI but I've learned to somewhat offset that by of playing a very defensive role with whomever I control in the defensive zone. I also tune the game about as defensive as possible. Needless to say though I have to do a lot of hard work on D as my teammates are pretty average at best in their own zone.

I actually just got 19 brand new and still sealed and dirt cheap. I've got settings that make for a very loose and sloppy game in 16 with scrums and lots of loose pucks but if the commentary aggravates me too much in 20 and the other aspects aren't right much better, I may just play 19 for now. Would Speer to play the latest But I'll play whatever I enjoy most.

But will have both tomorrow so my hope is that EA sees some feedback and if James and Ray do record more lines that they'll tell him to chill a bit. I'm shocked whoever is in charge of audio didn't say hey man, every line is same cadence. You gotta mix it up.

I've yet to play 19 yet. Doc may get repetitive but at least he sounds like hockey which I like.

So we'll see this weekend.

Last edited by hrudey32; 09-12-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:59 AM   #13
Rookie

mikea330's Arena

OVR: 0

The problem with Doc was that everyone expected him to sound exactly like he does in real life, but you can’t translate that emotion into recorded lines. The new announcer seems to have gone too far the other way and is too excited. It’s going to take some tweaking on EAs part, but at least they tried something. There’s no way to translate perfect emotions into video games. That’s why in the movie Miracle, Al Michaels didn’t record “Do to believe in miracles, yes!” Because he felt he couldn’t recreate the emotion that he felt back when he was actually there.

As for the scoreboard, I don’t hate it, but I really hate is the black bar below it and around it. It takes up way too much space.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

I just think this is EA's rebellious year. Prob sick of seeing posts about how nothing has changed with the look of the game for the past 5 years..so now they went overboard with the Pp flashing,large scoreline banner and juiced commentary just to make a point!
I'd expect them to return to a more polished look again next year.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Back when I played a lot of EASHL, I wanted different presentation styles depending on the game mode. Similar to The Show's fast play, hybrid, and broadcast options, but also incorporating different graphics, overlays, cutscenes, etc.

"Traditional" game modes using real teams get TV-style presentation, with online 1v1 getting a slightly scaled down version to keep play moving. HUT and CHEL could have the flashy graphics and EA branding of this year, with a more streamlined approach of very minimal replays or interruptions.

EASHL would need it's own blend of the two to present it as a "league" with focus on team and player stats, unique branding, and the online approach to avoid unnecessary wait times between play.Along with this, I always wished they would get more creative in making EASHL a dinstinct experience by moving away from NHL rules where it might benefit or enhance play. 3v2 PPs in 3v3? Yes, please! A penalty shot for any offensive zone penalty? Maybe! Delay of game for ragging the puck in your own zone for too long? Perhaps! Only the loser of the fight gets a penalty? Wait, that's Blades of Steel. You get the idea!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »