Home

Tips for line setup

This is a discussion on Tips for line setup within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

OVR: 0
Tips for line setup

So i am a noob in nhl and i am looking for some insight on how your organise lines and strategies especially this year with coaches.

So questions only for franchise mode:

- how do you organise your line ? Do you plan to follow your coach preferences or to apply a hierarchy based on your preference

- how do you manage handeness ? I mean play a lefty on right etc

- same question for strategies? Do you plan to follow your coach or adjust whatever you prefer

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Re: Tips for line setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
So i am a noob in nhl and i am looking for some insight on how your organise lines and strategies especially this year with coaches.

So questions only for franchise mode:

- how do you organise your line ? Do you plan to follow your coach preferences or to apply a hierarchy based on your preference

- how do you manage handeness ? I mean play a lefty on right etc

- same question for strategies? Do you plan to follow your coach or adjust whatever you prefer
I’ll weigh in on this.

This year I am leaving the coaching strategies all at default. That way when I bring a coach in it really is like implementing a system and sticking to it.

As far as line set up I keep it on Manuel as the CPU coaches seem to have a bad habit of neglecting line chemistry over talent. But I still try and stick to the coaches strategy guidelines when setting my lines.

In terms of handedness I generally will keep players to there natural position if I can with the exception of the power play if my coaches power play strategy is umbrella or shooting. In this case on my power play lines I will try and out my wingers on their off wing and my defenseman on their opposite handedness as the strategies are really set up for one timers/point shots. Putting them in their off hand position really helps with shots at a good angle on the goal.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I’ll weigh in on this.

This year I am leaving the coaching strategies all at default. That way when I bring a coach in it really is like implementing a system and sticking to it.

As far as line set up I keep it on Manuel as the CPU coaches seem to have a bad habit of neglecting line chemistry over talent. But I still try and stick to the coaches strategy guidelines when setting my lines.

In terms of handedness I generally will keep players to there natural position if I can with the exception of the power play if my coaches power play strategy is umbrella or shooting. In this case on my power play lines I will try and out my wingers on their off wing and my defenseman on their opposite handedness as the strategies are really set up for one timers/point shots. Putting them in their off hand position really helps with shots at a good angle on the goal.
I noticed a bug with this and reported it, but haven't received any response:

If you hire a new coach, the strategies in the edit strategies screen don't change from the default, so you have to update them manually.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

so I tested coach edits lines for both ahl and NHL, I say keep it off, your team will play like they've never played before, play like they have autism, I was owning teams, soon as I turned it on I lost 6-1, keep it off.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
I noticed a bug with this and reported it, but haven't received any response:

If you hire a new coach, the strategies in the edit strategies screen don't change from the default, so you have to update them manually.
I didn’t know this. Thanks for the heads up man
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

So if i understand you correctly you just plan to follow your coach strategies and to manually maximise the chemistry on lines (which again comes from a match between players and coach l).

Is my understanding correct?

Personally i play franchise mode but play each game (no sim). So i am a bit concerned with that and wondering if there is any concrete downside in simply using whatever strategy i want.

Coach seems as well randomly assigned

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Help i am 0-4 with the Sens

Old 09-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
Help i am 0-4 with the Sens
Well, it's the Sens...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »