Home

NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint

This is a discussion on NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint

NHL 20 is more enjoyable to play than previous installments but that doesn't mean it is...

Written By: Ryan

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Rookie

KoryDub's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 20 Review: A Better Playing Game With a Familiar Coat of Paint

Quote:

The above screenshot is an example of the horrendous AI that has plagued the NHL series for years. This overhead view is of a 5-on-3 power play for the visiting team in white (human-controlled). The puck is being battled for in a one-on-one battle behind the net (human-controlled). Since the white team doesn’t have clear possession, the CPU teammates all passively retreat, offering no help or support despite having a two-man advantage.

I don't think the reviewer has taken strategy adjustments in to account. Although he's not wrong about the A.I. - their passive setup in the screenshot he used indicates that the forecheck is set to just that - passive.

Although I understand the game needs to make adjustments based on where the puck is and what is happening - the onus is still on the player to recognize what strategies are working in the moment - and which ones aren't.

Strategy adjustment is an under-utilized strategy for getting the A.I. to cooperate with you.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryDub
I don't think the reviewer has taken strategy adjustments in to account. Although he's not wrong about the A.I. - their passive setup in the screenshot he used indicates that the forecheck is set to just that - passive.

Although I understand the game needs to make adjustments based on where the puck is and what is happening - the onus is still on the player to recognize what strategies are working in the moment - and which ones aren't.

Strategy adjustment is an under-utilized strategy for getting the A.I. to cooperate with you.
What's the point of having strategy adjustments if we CANNOT EDIT IT AND SAVE BEFORE WE START A FRANCHISE!!! We only have the option to play a season controlling all the 31 teams and edit all the strategies inside the season for each team or play a franchise and edit only our strategies, something that fixes nothing since the CPU teams will have the same problems. Also these kind of AI behaviors should not be fixed editing strategies, should be a better programming AI when playing on a PP.

Anyway, it's a nice review and is good to see that some people are enjoying the game, however i won't touch it again until it gets on EA vault next year and i hope it becomes playable with sliders adjustments.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Rookie

Reviewers play the game once and never learn how to adjust sliders to make the game play more realistic or actually play it more then 0nce to learn how to play it. I never trust any people who review the game. If you understand how the nhl works then you would say this game plays beautifully.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

This game is not any better than NHL 2019. NHL 2020 is getting hammered pretty hard with the reviews so far. Metacritic has the game sitting at 78. NHL 19 had a score of 80. EA took a step backwards this year. It's time for changes EA! WAKE THE **** UP!

Brain dead AI. No seperation of players. Game doesn't feel like NHL hockey. I'm sorry. Also what's with the stat overlays during a game? Can't even get a chance to see them. The stat overlay disappears after 3 seconds. Who made this game decision at EA? Fire this idiot with the rest of the team please! Get some people in there who know how to play hockey and know what it takes to make a great hockey game. Pathetic...

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullyd
Reviewers play the game once and never learn how to adjust sliders to make the game play more realistic or actually play it more then 0nce to learn how to play it. I never trust any people who review the game. If you understand how the nhl works then you would say this game plays beautifully.

Are you suggesting that Ryan only play NHL once and never know how to adjust sliders? You know that he is the one that make most of the NHL articles from operationsports? That's totally unrespectful...
Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Rookie

I usually mute announcers a few weeks/months after playing a game because I'm annoyed with repetition. In this case, I muted them after 2 games. I cannot stand this team. That voice grinds on me. I do feel it plays better IMO. I like some of the new puck pickups and the new shots.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
This game is not any better than NHL 2019. NHL 2020 is getting hammered pretty hard with the reviews so far. Metacritic has the game sitting at 78. NHL 19 had a score of 80. EA took a step backwards this year. It's time for changes EA! WAKE THE **** UP!

Brain dead AI. No seperation of players. Game doesn't feel like NHL hockey. I'm sorry. Also what's with the stat overlays during a game? Can't even get a chance to see them. The stat overlay disappears after 3 seconds. Who made this game decision at EA? Fire this idiot with the rest of the team please! Get some people in there who know how to play hockey and know what it takes to make a great hockey game. Pathetic...

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20
Just a heads up that you know you've been here long enough not to say this sort of stuff. There is voicing displeasure and then just using inflammatory language. You know the difference Peter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »