Home

Wow NHL 20 is great

This is a discussion on Wow NHL 20 is great within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Wow NHL 20 is great

It's not just your age: it's WAY too fast. I lowered speed to 1/6 and it plays, to me, about right. (2/6 is also solid... I'm starting to kill it at 1/6, so maybe it's *too* slow? I've ripped off 10 wins in a row - after an 0-7-0 preseason and 3-7-3 month of Oct, I went 11-1-1 in Dec, scoring 56 goals and allowing only 22... but maybe it's just getting used to the nuances of the game too; I haven't played much of any of the newer iterations since NHL 13.)
I create a player for myself but put him into the draft so I can position-lock as him in Franchise mode because the GM AI is way too terrible to play Be A Pro... but the game erased all the names I'd consider using. There's no more basic names like "Kraft" or "Baron" or "Barrett" or "Foster"... there are players in the game who don't have their names available for play-by-play (like Justin "Barron")... and no option for just being called by your number. You HAVE to accept being called by the wrong name, or choose from a list of about 10 names that are acceptable, real names. But if you want to be called "B-Bunny" or "Ecks Dee" or "imaZman", have it at; those are available.
SO... I don't know if I have a problem with the commentary because I had to turn it off in order to avoid having my player called by the wrong name. (And if you want to hear it pronounced, because you don't know which "Roy" is "Roy" and which one is "Roy", you're **** out of luck. Better guess right.)
I get that they can't have every conceivable name, but they had Kraft and Baron and Barrett, at least, back in NHL 13. If there's ever been an NHL player with that name, surely you should have it.

They've tweaked player editing in Franchise, which is nice. You couldn't edit player type or position for a long time, good to see that finally available. Facial hair is now editable too, which is logical; not sure why hair isn't.
Also... I get why some things, like name, aren't... but man, it'd be nice to edit names. For a few reasons - I loved playing with Toni Korhonen, that's my dude; be nice to recreate him - but the biggest reason I'd like to edit names is so I can stop having guys like Croatian-born Griffin Arnott, and Norwegian Stu Boulton.

I just want them to embrace player customization; like, us the players, allowing *us* to customize our game. If we want to override trades to force a trade on the CPU, let us; maybe we're reflecting a real life trade. Or maybe we're "cheating"; who cares, it's a video game.
Let us force a player to retire, or tell a player he isn't allowed to retire. Again, I'd use that to make the game *more* realistic, but if you aren't, if you're just making all the good players on a rival team retire early... then who cares? It's a video game. If that's fun for you, then you should be able to do it.
I wish we could edit stats. In real life, Laffy has nearly 90 points through almost 40 QMHL games; in NHL 20, he registered 87 in a full season, then went 1st overall. And I'm stuck with that on his player card until he retires. Just let me fix it; it's not hurting anything. (And even if it did... it's a video game, let me do what I want.)
I should be allowed to edit a player's height and weight, his face or name, his nationality, his potential or ratings.... even his stats, if I want. I wouldn't, I don't think it's fun to dominate with every player on your team rated at a 99 - but again, if that's fun for somebody else, then cool, doesn't make me no nevermind - but I do have friends and I'd like to be able to play a dynasty and maybe add a player for him in an upcoming draft rather than having to start over and scrap my entire 10 season franchise mode.
It drives me nuts that these guys feel the need to micro-manage how we enjoy our game in the name of "realism", especially considering the system these asshats have in place is giving me a Norwegian named goddamn Stu goddamn Boulton.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2020, 01:51 AM   #42
Rookie

I replied to a previous comment and hit on a few points; I'll reiterate one because I think it's particularly applicable to your comment: they need to lean into gamer customization.
Let us override CPU trade denials if we want; let us force players to retire, or deny retirements; let us edit the draft (edit and save draft classes), or at least edit players after the draft. Not just position and style and facial hair (we can now), not just even cosmetic stuff like name and nationality, and hair, but even gameplay balancing things like ratings and potential.
The biggest things that hardcore fans find frustrating about the game outside of gameplay is easily fixed by allowing us full customization. I, personally, would like to deny any CPU trade that seems unrealistic; I'd force retirements onto guys who are older and declining that already have a Cup that I think would retire, or deny retirements for guys whom I think are still superstars; I'd change weird names like all the Scandinavian guys with names like Joe Mullins; I'd also create a few teammates from previous games that I loved playing with, like LW Toni Korhonen, his brother Mikko, and C Steffen Goc... just cosmetic stuff, not ratings or potential. I'd love to be able to add a friend into the game if he wanted to join in on a Franchise mode in-progress.
But some people would use it to cheat. And to that I say: so what? If it's fun for you, then you should be allowed to do it.

Also...
1 - the coaches are kinda lame. You should be able to create your own. Some of them don't make sense; I've seen a coach whose philosophy is "teacher" - perfect for a rebuild - but his specialty is "veterans". How does that make sense? Let me create a coach that has a coherent philosophy. I like the concept but the execution needs work. Which is fine... but again, gamer customization would really help solve that problem.
2 - The use of the silhouette baffles me. They have the ability to give player's faces, it's done in Be A Pro, just carry that over to any created player in Franchise mode. Way too many silhouettes; it's annoying. I wish I could ignore it, but it's so glaring. The main menu of my franchise mode forces me to look right at the silhouette of the best player on my team the entire season, and will until he retires, because they haven't bothered to implement that even though they've had the ability to since way back in NHL 10, at least. A decade ago they could've easily done this. C'mon.

Last edited by Schlotsky; 02-02-2020 at 01:58 AM. Reason: I had more to say
Old 03-03-2020, 01:00 AM   #43
Just started!

Unhappy Re: Wow NHL 20 is great

My first EA Hockey since the start of the series on old Sega.Think, last was NHL 98...And i canīt get in. There ist no learning curve. Playing only offline + franchise. Semi-pro is a non brainer, but on pro difficulty i can do what i want including rethinking tactics, change sliders, watch youtube-videos, change playing style, adjust defense and offensive mechanics...i canīt understand why everybody says pro is too easy. After at least 30-40 hours trying to manage the pro difficulty: No idea whats wrong. Would like it, if i can say: Furthermore, you become better slowly, but theres no advantage. Just pure frustration. Am i the only one hoe canīt manage pro difficulty? Would like to play on. But it makes no sense because on semi-pro i win every game and one higher i lose everything. (Not the perfect thread for my problem, but canīt open new)
Old 03-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #44
Just started!

Ah, the "i like it" thread below shows exactly what i mean!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #45
Rookie

PhillsPhan26's Arena

OVR: 19

This game and the word "great" should be on the same level as water doesn't mix with oil.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #46
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

how guys liking NHL 20, so far, I really love NHL 20 playing as forward , it feels real to me, feels like am actually there , u guys enjoying franchise and be a pro ?, I try my best everyday, tweaking sliders and stuff, doing this and that.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 03-05-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:30 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh123
i canīt understand why everybody says pro is too easy.

I didn't said that. Pro Difficulty on Broadcast Camera angle is a challenge for me, too. But, on any other popular camera angles, Pro Difficulty is too easy. So, the reason why you think Pro Difficulty is hard might be you're using the Broadcast Camera, right ?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #48
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkk1974
I didn't said that. Pro Difficulty on Broadcast Camera angle is a challenge for me, too. But, on any other popular camera angles, Pro Difficulty is too easy. So, the reason why you think Pro Difficulty is hard might be you're using the Broadcast Camera, right ?
No, the reason was, i am a decadent mid-life boomer hoe didnīt play games with focus on reaction skills for 20 years and thought it would be nice, to play nhl again like in the nineties...so learning curve was very slow and it takes a lot of games against the cpu to make advantages. With hybrid controls the two mistakes i made:

1. Only score one-timers because it takes ages i understand how to manage wrist shots effectively.

2. In the defense i always attacked the player with the puck instead of the the passing lines.

The last few days i finally got it. Now winning 8 or 9 games from 10. So now i am at least at the point from many offline players...and itīs right: Now i need to config the allstar-difficulty....

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »