Home

Every issue i have with this game is from a presentation standpoint

This is a discussion on Every issue i have with this game is from a presentation standpoint within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Every issue i have with this game is from a presentation standpoint

I actually only bought the game after reading the stickied OS article lol. So that makes at least a couple of us which is pretty cool. Before this my last purchase was NHL 13 so it’s been awhile. I personally enjoy the gameplay a lot, I can cycle the puck below the crease, score off one-ts, deflections, wristers from the slot etc.

However, in my opinion the game would really benefit from a refocus on graphics and visual elements. Really ridiculous how many players do not have a scanned face... there ought to be at least 15-20 stadiums for CHL teams, playing in the same arena every game during be a pro really kills the immersion. They don’t even have to be authentic- 30 generic stadiums for CHL/AHL teams would be sufficient. Also, I’m not very knowledgeable about the NHL these days and idk if these guys are even around anymore so take it easy on me. But my point is, I get that a guy like tortorella or Bruce boudreau would be difficult to get to sit in that camera rig they use for scans but it seems reasonable to expect at least a handful with real likenesses, refs included.

There’s also a bunch of things I could get into regarding stadium atmosphere (scoreboard/LED graphics, tunnel entrances/exits), but the mascots are a nice touch and the overall look of the arenas are decent as well, although exterior cutscenes from the outside the way FIFA and Madden have it would take the game to the next level. And correct me if I’m wrong but they had the NBC license up until this year, so I’m not sure if they had that overlay and presentation for every playable game or if it was sporadic but that or another broadcast package should be reinserted on a contextual basis: TSN layout for Canadian matchups, NHL network layout for “important” regular season games and maybe a mix of both for playoff series. And lastly I don’t like criticizing the commentating aspect of these games because the tech behind that is facisnating and beyond my comprehension, but it seems like Ray and the play by play guy have a couple different lines for various goalies but almost none for any skaters, so that would go a long way as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Every issue i have with this game is from a presentation standpoint

I think at this point after so many years of copy and paste for each yearly release, it’s evident we as fans of the series will not get a majority of those wishes.

Just the faces alone for every major player’s likeness should have been addressed years ago. It baffles my mind how so many players who have been in the league for a while still get generic faces.

It comes down to budget probably. EA just doesn’t give a you know what to invest in a larger development team to add all those necessary features.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Every issue i have with this game is from a presentation standpoint

I was excited for their ability to not be tied to NBC actually. Unfortunately, they went with an awful scorebug placement, a terrible "GOAL" graphic after a goal that looks just horrendous, still haven't fixed the crowd going silent during the replay after a goal is scored, and especially for created teams, no generic chants or anything that makes the crowd seem alive or interested in the game. Remember the old games (NHL 2004 specifically) had a custom team crowd chat option? They had like 7-8 generic chants that weren't great but at least you could hear and feel the crowd! They at least seemed interested in the game when they started that chat once or twice a period!

I just hate how the crowd noise and atmosphere dies after a home team goal before the next puck drop! Like, has this presentation team been to a game before? The crowd is usually pumped-up for a few seconds after the puck drop at minimum! Also, they completely broke the custom goal horn feature the had last year. Almost all of the custom horns are now preset so their length and amount of times they go off is no-longer able to be edited. If they literally didn't touch the goal horn editor, it would've been just fine, but they actively went in and broke it from 19 > 20.

I mean, I try to give the team the benefit of the doubt, but they just make so many common sense mistakes every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »