Home

Goaltending

This is a discussion on Goaltending within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Goaltending

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerScott
Question about online goaltending. As an offline goalie I hate that the cpu frequently over rules my input, that is I may press RT to go to butterfly but my input is delayed because the cpu wants to do something else. Is it like that online or do you have complete control?

Not at all. I feel like the online controls for goalies are very responsive and give complete control. Haven’t had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbeagle11
I love playing goal, and do it exclusively. I play mostly online in drop ins (which can be dubious for a goalie). I’ve gotten very good at it and enjoy having the ability to stand out at a position that most people won’t even touch. To me it’s the most fun position and wouldn’t want to play anything else.

Playing goalie in OTP is simultaneously the most infuriating and enjoyable thing. You can stand out and be a legend, and then let in like one "kinda soft" goal and people quit or go nuts. It's a wild time.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Playing goalie in OTP is simultaneously the most infuriating and enjoyable thing. You can stand out and be a legend, and then let in like one "kinda soft" goal and people quit or go nuts. It's a wild time.

Totally. 100% accurate

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
Banned

In online play will your goalie go into butterfly without your input, to block a low shot for example, or do you have to do it manually everytime?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Question about online goaltending. As an offline goalie I hate that the cpu frequently over rules my input, that is I may press RT to go to butterfly but my input is delayed because the cpu wants to do something else. Is it like that online or do you have complete control?
It's the same, except you also have to battle online latency (lag). And if you thought your AI teammates were bad... Just wait 'till you meet your Human Teammates in drop-ins.

Like the others said, it's at the same time the most exhilarating and most mind numbing and frustrating thing ever. If you get lucky and the game decides to give you some good save animations, you'll have a good time. And then that one time you are in position, challenging the shot and it goes in because of... reasons? You'll want to throw babies at people!

As an actual real goalie, there is not enough control if you're a goalie in this game. All you can do is "be in position" and then hope the game makes a save, which is like if you're playing Halo and all you do is line up the cross-hairs and then "hope" the game pulls the trigger at the right time.

The "auto-save" feature was toned down this year so that if you don't actually press RT to make a save your goalie will just stand there like a lemon.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 11-24-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
It's the same, except you also have to battle online latency (lag). And if you thought your AI teammates were bad... Just wait 'till you meet your Human Teammates in drop-ins.

Like the others said, it's at the same time the most exhilarating and most mind numbing and frustrating thing ever. If you get lucky and the game decides to give you some good save animations, you'll have a good time. And then that one time you are in position, challenging the shot and it goes in because of... reasons? You'll want to throw babies at people!

As an actual real goalie, there is not enough control if you're a goalie in this game. All you can do is "be in position" and then hope the game makes a save, which is like if you're playing Halo and all you do is line up the cross-hairs and then "hope" the game pulls the trigger at the right time.

The "auto-save" feature was toned down this year so that if you don't actually press RT to make a save your goalie will just stand there like a lemon.

I just got NHL 20 and started playing. Goaltending definitely feels different. Best way I can describe it is more “soft” goals getting passed me. In previous years I’ve had an 85-95 save percentage, giving up 1 or 2 goals a game. In my first couple games, I gave up 6 then 8 goals, and the guys I was playing weren’t anything special. Granted some of that could have been rust, and also the fact that no one was covering my backside on defense, but it for sure feels different this year. But I can’t put my finger on what it is.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
In online play will your goalie go into butterfly without your input, to block a low shot for example, or do you have to do it manually everytime?
The goalie should still go into butterfly, but best practice is still generally to get down if you want to protect the bottom of the net.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
Rookie

CDN_MTN_BEAR's Arena

Quote:
Regardless of the mode, human goalies are limited to what we're allowed to do. Meaning, automation overrules our input, no matter what our intentions are. It's getting more frustrating to play as a goalie, in this game, because of what we're limited to and also the fact that the forwards are overpowered. Of course, it doesn't take much skill to score in this game, but as long as there's face masks and pre-game dance intros, gameplay doesn't matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »