Home

Ice Tilt?

This is a discussion on Ice Tilt? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0
Ice Tilt?

I've been playing this game for years and I swear there is an ice tilt, no matter what devs say. And no, I don't mean the kind where the CPU makes 23845 laser passes in succession straight into your zone for a goal, I mean the kind where the game randomly decides one team is going to skate in mud and the other on ice. Where one team will have glue on their tape, so checking them into the boards will never result in a turnover. Where hits result in tickles and maybe a bit of separation, but when that does happen, your skater falls to the ice and the opponent skates on to collect the puck again.

Just super frustrating. And I've been the benefactor of this many times, where I know playing on online versus, that I can skate at a slow pace knowing checking players will bounce off me. That no matter how many stick lifts the AI does, I will come away with the puck. Just had a game where I had breakaways in the double digits, and every attempt was stoned. Meanwhile just skating near my goalie results in an own goal. Is this really just me?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Ice Tilt?

There is. After the game, look and see yours and the other player’s credit rating. The lower the rating the more of an advantage is given. It’s to ensure bad players still purchase the product each year. They assume good players will, regardless.

You start at 500 CR. At around 800 you’ll feel it, especially when playing someone sub 500. At over 1000 it’s like the game is on super difficult for online play. Play someone that is in the low 300’s and watch their goalie stand on his head, diving for cross crease saves. The rest of the AI will follow suit. Yours will be brain dead and theirs will be gods. The opposite is true if you have the worse CR.

The devs further spit in our faces by taunting the community with playful denial and countless references to “ice tilt” in their custom unlock-able announcer sayings.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Also, if you aren’t sure it’s occurring, watch your players as they are at full energy and skating a straight line with speed burst held down through the neutral zone. When the algorithms are at work you will literally see a chugging slowdown of the players who are getting ice tilted against them. Their legs will be churning and their player will literally slug their way through the zone while carrying the puck.

And all of the what we call “ticking”. Where you constantly jar the puck loose from a puck carrier, only for the to instantly regain it. It makes the stick ticking noise. Or hitting someone with a super check, only to have the puck instantly shoot to their other players. Better than a tape-to-tape pass would work.

This is how you end up seeing all of the dominant stats for one team, shots, zone time, face off percentage, hits, passing percentage, but then see that team lose. Nothing like having someone step foot into the zone, panic and throw a wrister on net at 42 mph and have it roll in on your goalie. They’ll score 3 goals on 5 pathetic shots. Meanwhile you’re setting up power plays like the ‘84 Oilers and cannot concert cause your shots are going all over and when you do connect the goalie is super human.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Another thing I noticed. I use alternate tilt or whatever using ice view. Up for 2 period and down one or other way around. I’ve always felt I play better going up, when I go down I almost always get dominated against. It’s weird lol. Ice tilt or not. No idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

I wanna say it goes further/deeper than CR. Going back even to NHL 12 or so when my cousin would come over we would always do offline vs and this would happen and we called in 'player one advantage', even after trading being player one. But it definitely sounds similar cause he was pretty bad and obviously playing each other enough times I would know all his tendencies and there would still be games he was scoring off of every terrible slap shot from the blue line immediate after entering the zone on a rush.

The game that sent me over the edge to make this thread last night ended in hits 23-3 in favor of the other guy. And a part of that is cause he was always taking control of his defenders on the rush and pulling them way outta position to lay the hit, hence why I had double digit, I said breakaways but I meant odd man rushes. I can tell in a game when I have the ice tilt in my favor by my uncanny ability on every opponents rush, I'm able to line up the big hits at the blue line.

And the worst thing about the stupid CR, I lose a close game 3-4 and I lose 7 CR, but win a game via disconnect cause I scored 4 unanswered goals and I only get 3 CR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
I've been playing this game for years and I swear there is an ice tilt, no matter what devs say. And no, I don't mean the kind where the CPU makes 23845 laser passes in succession straight into your zone for a goal, I mean the kind where the game randomly decides one team is going to skate in mud and the other on ice. Where one team will have glue on their tape, so checking them into the boards will never result in a turnover. Where hits result in tickles and maybe a bit of separation, but when that does happen, your skater falls to the ice and the opponent skates on to collect the puck again.

Just super frustrating. And I've been the benefactor of this many times, where I know playing on online versus, that I can skate at a slow pace knowing checking players will bounce off me. That no matter how many stick lifts the AI does, I will come away with the puck. Just had a game where I had breakaways in the double digits, and every attempt was stoned. Meanwhile just skating near my goalie results in an own goal. Is this really just me?
Do you ever evaluate the strategies you use, and how your lines? Are you wearing your players down by using aggressive strategies? How much time do you spend on PK, which also drains energy, forcing you to need your 4th line more?

Sure, the game is not a realistic sim, but what you are describing is the effect of someone ignoring factors that affect stamina. There are tools you can use to avoid this, including using different players on PK and PP.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Do you ever evaluate the strategies you use, and how your lines? Are you wearing your players down by using aggressive strategies? How much time do you spend on PK, which also drains energy, forcing you to need your 4th line more?

Sure, the game is not a realistic sim, but what you are describing is the effect of someone ignoring factors that affect stamina. There are tools you can use to avoid this, including using different players on PK and PP.
I'll just start by saying even after puck drop, I can tell whether or not I feel I am being effected by the tilt just based on how my players skate. Sure sometimes you could say I am just using a slow skater, but when every skater on the other team is rushing back on defense every rush to break up the play and then rushing up ice and my skaters struggle to keep up, the discrepancy is too big to chalk it up to anything I'm doing right or wrong.

And as far as my style of play, I try to keep it realistic. I'm not an arcade player and I hate the cheesers online. I play conservative, dump the puck when I know I'm out of viable options, I cycle the puck, utilize the D along with D to D passes, use every player and the full ice. I'm not one of those 'hustle all the time' people, and I only mess with the tactics and strategies in the third period depending on how many goals I'm down by. I'm still adjusting to this years tripping calls, those are my only hang ups on penalties (and I only try to score short handed when I have a good odd man rush, instead of the guys who play like it's 5v5, otherwise it's down the ice and set up in the neutral zone)
Old 11-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #8
Rookie

CDN_MTN_BEAR's Arena

Oh, there definitely is, and it's to ensure "participation awards" and rewarding those who don't deserve it. Case in point, during 1 of my Threes games today, the team that I was on consisted of 3 players. It was 3 human players per side. Anyway, my team: P1/13, P2/17 and P3/20 (myself). Their team: Lvl 2, Lvl 2 and Lvl 5 respectively. Well, we got absolutely whooped, not just by the 7-3 score, but in every category as their goalie practically robbed us one shot after another, and our goalie was a sieve. I messaged all of the opposing team's players to "Go buy a lottery ticket." The thing is, I knew that there was something fu(n)ky happening, especially with two of the opposing players still having the rookie gear/clothing on. Of course, I didn't realize what their rank was, until after the game, but what an ego boost for them when they were awarded for what they didn't deserve.

Last edited by CDN_MTN_BEAR; 11-28-2019 at 02:01 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »