Home

Retro Review: NHL 94 is Retro Shinny at Its Finest

This is a discussion on Retro Review: NHL 94 is Retro Shinny at Its Finest within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Retro Review: NHL 94 is Retro Shinny at Its Finest

When EA Sports' NHL Hockey debuted on the Sega Genesis in the fall of 1991, it...

Written By: Jim Harris

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Retro Review: NHL 94 is Retro Shinny at Its Finest

Played these blue ice games to death, we even had a league. You had to flip a coin to see if your next goal counted, no breakaway dekes were allowed and if any part of a player touched the crease a goal was disallowed. We had 4 of us in the league so when you played a human you didn't have to flip a coin, but the other rules were in place. We had special score sheets - way too much time on our hands. Ahhhhhh, the college years.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Loved this game I used to write down my own stats to keep track. As for the rating I think the main reason EA has such a narrow spread of NHL players is because the game covers so many different leagues and skill levels of players. That said I still think they do a relatively poor job of accurately rating players. Too bad we don’t have a nHlinfo editor for PS4. The new game could be truly great with a few dedicated modders.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
Banned

babaracus88's Arena

OVR: 0

that is part of the problem for EA. I don't mean to offend the European league fans but EA should just go back to the NHL and AHL but add the last names of players not in those leagues so that we can create the players we need......oh yeah and of course roster sharing
Old 01-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Just started!

They should do a bonus add on of NHL 94 tacked onto the current game. Or even with current rosters!

Heck if EA put out a digital NHL 94 with current teams I would buy it in a second
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
Funny. I was playing this yesterday and thought to myself how well it held up with its fun 25+ years later. Then I just now saw this article. Sometimes, I prefer the simplicity of those old games and don't want to press 8 buttons or move a joystick in 3 directions to make one simple move happen. Retro games will always have a place on my shelf and be revisited, just like watching old movies or listening to old music. I actually have a retro gaming center in my loft with a mini Nintendo, Sega Genesis, PS2, and Xbox 360 and have been finding myself spending more time with those lately than with my PS4 and Xbox One.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Just started!

The moment I turned over the cover of the August '91 issue of GamePro Magazine and saw the 2-page ad for NHL Hockey was the moment I became obsessed with it - I carried around that magazine almost everyday in college, just staring at all of the details of the screenshots. I immediately ordered the game from Electronic Arts Direct and called their 800# once a week in hopes I'd be told of an earlier release date. I called so often that I remember the # until this day: 1-800-245-4525. GAME CHANGER!
Old 01-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
MVP

It be really cool for somebody to make a modern retro NHL game sort of like the guy is doing with Retro Bowl right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »