Home

Trouble with my franchise, need advice

This is a discussion on Trouble with my franchise, need advice within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Pro

drj32's Arena

OVR: 8
Trouble with my franchise, need advice

After recreating the Houston Aeros franchise, concentrating completely on defense, the team made the playoffs the past two seasons and did well.

this season, I traded away a bunch of stars in exchange for better defensive players, with the goal of having the best defense of all time.

unfortunately, for some strange reason, when simming, my defense is worse than last year despite having much better defensive players, both as forwards and defensemen.

Statistically the defense is not on top but wallowing in the middle of the pack, and I can't figure out why.

Team chemistry is upper 60s. Settings are exactly the same as last season. Players are clearly better than the ones I had last season, so why is my team performing so poorly?

Simming same as last season. Currently 9-10 -3 record after having one of the best records the past two years.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by drj32; 02-21-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Trouble with my franchise, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj32
After recreating the Houston Aeros franchise, concentrating completely on defense, the team made the playoffs the past two seasons and did well.

this season, I traded away a bunch of stars in exchange for better defensive players, with the goal of having the best defense of all time.

unfortunately, for some strange reason, when simming, my defense is worse than last year despite having much better defensive players, both as forwards and defensemen.

Statistically the defense is not on top but wallowing in the middle of the pack, and I can't figure out why.

Team chemistry is upper 60s. Settings are exactly the same as last season. Players are clearly better than the ones I had last season, so why is my team performing so poorly?

Simming same as last season. Currently 9-10 -3 record after having one of the best records the past two years.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Part of good defensive teams are offensive players that control the puck in the offensive end. Defensive players are good at keeping you from not scoring in their end, but if you don't control the puck in the offensive end you have a lot of time that you have to defend. Your b4est defensive team needs a good scoring line that can dominate play for a bunch of time.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Pro

drj32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
Part of good defensive teams are offensive players that control the puck in the offensive end. Defensive players are good at keeping you from not scoring in their end, but if you don't control the puck in the offensive end you have a lot of time that you have to defend. Your b4est defensive team needs a good scoring line that can dominate play for a bunch of time.
thanks that's an intersting theory. So what skills should I look for in offensive players? puck handling?
thanks
Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
thanks that's an intersting theory. So what skills should I look for in offensive players? puck handling?
thanks
To expand, think of how valuable corsi is. Puck posession is so important. If you are always defending, it makes sense that your defense-heavy team would be middle of the pack.

You need at least a strong first 2 lines with a defensive pair that can move the puck.

What are your lines like right now?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Pro

drj32's Arena

thanks for asking Cycloniac.

my lost season included...(as i remember)

Gallagher - Hintz- Kapanen
Jost- Backlund- C Brown
Bjork- Kotkaniemi-Erne
cizikas - vilardi - Cozens

H Lindholm -R Murray
Theodore- Chychrun
Butcher - Sergachev

with Lehner in goal

This season upcoming will be improved i hope...

Jost-Borgstrom- vilardi
Erne- Backlund- Grundstrom
Kapanen- Kotkaniemi-Cozens
Erne- Hintz- Gallagher

Lindholm - McDonough
Manson- Fabbro
De Haan-Chychrun

Hellebuyck

(changes in bold)

I also got a head coach with all A's except for B in teaching. The other coaches all have A in teaching.

thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
thanks for asking Cycloniac.

my lost season included...(as i remember)

Gallagher - Hintz- Kapanen
Jost- Backlund- C Brown
Bjork- Kotkaniemi-Erne
cizikas - vilardi - Cozens

H Lindholm -R Murray
Theodore- Chychrun
Butcher - Sergachev

with Lehner in goal

This season upcoming will be improved i hope...

Jost-Borgstrom- vilardi
Erne- Backlund- Grundstrom
Kapanen- Kotkaniemi-Cozens
Erne- Hintz- Gallagher

Lindholm - McDonough
Manson- Fabbro
De Haan-Chychrun

Hellebuyck

(changes in bold)

I also got a head coach with all A's except for B in teaching. The other coaches all have A in teaching.

thoughts?
Coaching is important, so that's a good start. What about your assistants?

My initial thought is that the roster is a bit too defensive. It looks like a grind-heavy team.

Who are your main playmakers and scorers?

You need at least one guy you can count on (hypothetically) for 30+ goals.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
Pro

drj32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Coaching is important, so that's a good start. What about your assistants?

My initial thought is that the roster is a bit too defensive. It looks like a grind-heavy team.

Who are your main playmakers and scorers?

You need at least one guy you can count on (hypothetically) for 30+ goals.

sorry for the delay. Hope you are well.

Actually the new coach seems to have made a big difference. I was able to get to the playoffs with the best defense in the league as I hoped, however got swept four games to zero in the first round.

I had two players scoring 28 and 29 goals. (Gallagher and Jost).

Suddenly in the playoffs the whole team played horribly. I have a feeling there is a lot of randomness to how things play out in franchise.

Now in the new coach's second season, looking at my lines, they are all +1 on offense
and +3/+3/+1 on defense.
and penalty killing is +3/+3.

BUT the defense is ranked middle-of-the-road giving up three goals per game and 80% PK

also, the puck possession time is about 50% so that's not an issue.

Weird.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0

u playing online or franchise ?

what I suggest is changing coach for both NHL and AHL (Completed which u did)

then go into price room and set everything to auto pricing and go to operation budget room and do auto budget just once and then go to promotions and do auto promotions days.

go into scouting and do find prospects do : 2 LW Playmakers, 1 C Sniper and 1 C Two-way Forward and 3 RW Grinder (Can be any position) 2 LW or C or RW Power Forward and 3 D Defensive Defensemen (this is important helps with sim engine and for defensive play if u put interceptions to 89-100 and 2 D Offensive Defensemen or 2 Two-Way Defensemen or 1 D Enforcer to go with Offensive defensemen or Two-way Defensemen.

now for size of players, I suggest going for sum smaller forwards like 5'5 to 5'11, but I suggest do add sum big players too, another thing, u may want to add 2 small defensemen too, and keep front line defensemen big, for small defensemen I suggest making offensive defense or two-way defenseman small (Optional) and keep defensive defensemen big also

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »