Home

Is the NHL roster too big for its own good ?

This is a discussion on Is the NHL roster too big for its own good ? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

OVR: 1
Is the NHL roster too big for its own good ?

I keep asking myself that question, every year.
And I'm curious to see what's everyone's take on it.

Now I don't know how much time, ressources and money - that could potentially be used in other aspect of the game - are being used for the expanded roster...but I sometimes wonder if it explains why the game is lacking in other aspects.

I mean, I don't know if I've ever played more than 10 AHL games since its addition in the series, and I don't if I ever used teams from oversea (though I suspect euro gamers probably do, so it might help their sales).

I remember, back in the days, each team would have a 'generic' farm club, where you could send your players to, but wouldn't have to actually manage the team. It would manage itself. No simulation required (which I assume would help simulation speed), no need to take care of injuries, goalie rotations, and so on. Players would still progress based on potential...and it was all good. Hell, I'm sure you could even give each players a line of stats, based on ratings, without having to actually sim the game, and have a report page available if you want to call someone up...and that would be more than enough for me, personally.

Same with the CHL and Euro league. Personally, the only use I have for those...is for the NHL draft. And given how it only gives us 2-3 years of actual real players before it becomes generic ones, is it really worth it ? Or wouldn't it be better to allow us to create - and SHARE - custom draft classes, where you could add an unlimited amount of created player to a generic class, and then focus on something else rather than devoting time, ressources and money to keep the leagues/teams rights and update their roster.

Again, I don't know how much time, ressources and money goes into that, might be a very small fraction. And I'm aware that, as a North American gamer, I might not be EA's main target when it comes to Euro leagues.

...but I'm curious to read what's everyone's opinion around here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is the NHL roster too big for its own good ?

The farm system in NHL is by far the best in sports games right now. The other two major sports games basketball and football can't really do it as they don't have NCAA licenses nor do I ever think it will be possible with the current lawsuit. However NHL has the CHL and the other leagues, so two or even four years down the line you have a number of real draft elgible players available to you, which is awesome.

Like you I rarely ever play an AHL or CHL game let alone all the other leagues but I think it is definitely needed. I'm speculating here but I'm sure a number of Europeans play a season with those home grown leagues also. I would never want to lose it, heck I want it expanded with KHL and the ability to interact with those league players in free agency in franchise [sign and lose some NHL'ers], not only using them for there draft eligible players.

I get they have a small team but this is one of the best things they have going for them for franchise mode.

Last edited by iFnotWhyNoT; 04-21-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Since I strictly only play with NHL teams, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the other leagues. As long as we could have a full farm system and countries to draft from, I would not mind not having the actual leagues.

And I totally agree with allowing to edit and share draft classes. It would improve the game's replay ability immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFnotWhyNoT
The farm system in NHL is by far the best in sports games right now. The other two major sports games basketball and football can't really do it as they don't have NCAA licenses nor do I ever think it will be possible with the current lawsuit. However NHL has the CHL and the other leagues, so two or even four years down the line you have a number of real draft elgible players available to you, which is awesome.

Like you I rarely ever play an AHL or CHL game let alone all the other leagues but I think it is definitely needed. I'm speculating here but I'm sure a number of Europeans play a season with those home grown leagues also. I would never want to lose it, heck I want it expanded with KHL and the ability to interact with those league players in free agency in franchise [sign and lose some NHL'ers], not only using them for there draft eligible players.

I get they have a small team but this is one of the best things they have going for them for franchise mode.
I get what you're saying.

In a perfect world, I'd rather keep 'em as well, and KHL would be a nice addition for sure (although very unlikely).

But given how small their team and budget are compared to the other sports games you mentioned, I sometimes wonder if having them in isn't more of an handicap than anything else for the series.

As for having 3-4 years of real players in the draft, customized draft classes would allow the same...maybe not through seven rounds, but I'm sure the NHL community would produced good quality draft classes in a matter of days.

Last edited by KomicJ; 04-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomicJ
I get what you're saying.

In a perfect world, I'd rather keep 'em as well, and KHL would be a nice addition for sure (although very unlikely).

But given how small their team and budget are compared to the other sports games you mentioned, I sometimes wonder if having them in isn't more of an handicap than anything else for the series.

As for having 3-4 years of real players in the draft, customized draft classes would allow the same...maybe not through seven rounds, but I'm sure the NHL community would produced good quality draft classes in a matter of days.
But aren't these assets that are just expanded on year after year, it's not like they are starting from scratch, and if they are then don't I agree waste of time.

I'm not a roster guru but how many players do they even update or edit each year every update? I'm guessing not many unless your in the NHL or a top draft pick. I wonder how much time is actually spent on it. I agree though if they are wasting resources updating AHL players when they can be spending time on other things, then stop. But this EA NHL aren't they notorious for telling people they take features out because no one uses them [GM Connected], I'm sure if it was taxing on them we would have lost it when they eventually made the jump to current gen.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I don't want Roster share or custom rosters though, If that was the trade off, no more updates and we get roster share among other things then HECK YEAH I'll take it. Give me them revamped rosters por favor.

Last edited by iFnotWhyNoT; 04-21-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFnotWhyNoT
But aren't these assets that are just expanded on year after year, it's not like they are starting from scratch, and if they are then don't I agree waste of time.

I'm not a roster guru but how many players do they even update or edit each year every update? I'm guessing not many unless your in the NHL or a top draft pick. I wonder how much time is actually spent on it. I agree though if they are wasting resources updating AHL players when they can be spending time on other things, then stop. But this EA NHL aren't they notorious for telling people they take features out because no one uses them [GM Connected], I'm sure if it was taxing on them we would have lost it when they eventually made the jump to current gen.
Well, I'm not working at EA, so I can only speculate. But I guess it's a 'start from scratch' scenario, at least for the initial ratings. I mean I don't know for sure, but I assume they have to create all the new guys who just went in the CHL and the Euro league, plus updated those who were there, but improved during the year.

Add that to the fact that they most probably have to pay for the rights to these leagues, teams, logos and players (again, not sure what kind of money we're talking about here). Time devoted to update the AHL, CHL and Euro leagues rosters during the year (I assume mostly potentials for the upcoming draft class).

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but it seems like a lot of time and energy spent on something that I either a) have no use for or b) end-up tweaking to my liking anyway.

Edit: Oh and of course, this would be in conjucture with roster sharing, a MUST !
Old 09-18-2020, 05:19 AM   #7
Rookie

Sorry colleagues! And in what season is the League the KHL?
Old 09-18-2020, 05:48 AM   #8
Rookie

If possible, I will give my opinion on your doubts. At one time, Soviet hockey was one of the leading in the world. Everyone was looking forward to meetings at the level of national teams and clubs. And these matches proved the approximate equality of the two hockey schools.

I have great respect for the power of the hockey Canada. But unfortunately, since then, there have been events that I do not approve of. The NHL has effectively taken over all other leagues, including the KHL and other Euro leagues. Interesting and original teams in Europe have all become one person-hockey schools in Russia, Sweden, and Czechoslovakia have virtually disappeared. Starting from a very young age, boys play power North American hockey - they are taught this way. There is no other tactic now. Personally, I have been watching the NHL with interest since the 60s. Video reports about The season and the Stanley Cup have only been available since the 90s of the 20th century. In the 21st century, NHL hockey has changed, it has become faster, but more uniform. There are almost no stars. Watching t is boring. The KHL and other European leagues are even worse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »