Home

Roughing, Elbowing, High-Sticking, Cross-Checking?

This is a discussion on Roughing, Elbowing, High-Sticking, Cross-Checking? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hello.
Do you guys know any way getting the following penalties called?

Roughing, Elbowing, High-Sticking, Cross-Checking

I've played hundreds of games for example in NHL 19, 20 and 21. But as far as I remember I've never seen any of those penalties. So why are there sliders for these? I don't really get it.

Someone told me that those aren't called because they are random penalties which would influence competitive online play. So I get that argument but why isn't it possible to get these penalties working in single player at all? Do you have any ideas? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Rookie

lancdave's Arena

Re: Roughing, Elbowing, High-Sticking, Cross-Checking?

Even with sliders for these penalties at 100, I've only seen elbowing called (in NHL 21). I always think it's a boarding call (and often am unhappy it was called), then see elbowing is the actual call...so then it's okay.

I've never seen an animated high-stick, cross-check, or roughing, so they might not be called because they don't happen. (I actually see hooks and trips.)

Best you can do is get the overall penalties per game right and not worry too much about what the specific call is.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks. I was just wondering if there's any slider combination I've overlooked or something. But obviously it's almost impossible to get those penalties called. I'd just like to have more variety in penalties called. All I'm getting is 90% tripping, slashing and boarding.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I literally just started playing NHL 21 tonight.

Had the following penalties playing on Pro level 10 minute periods with adjusted sliders (testing still).

Holding
Slashing
Interference
Tripping
High sticking
Boarding

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Rookie

lancdave's Arena

That's interesting. I've played over 100 games, a few at Pro, many at All Star, most at Super Star. Adjusted sliders. Franchise, Play-offs and Play Now. Still never seen Interference, Cross Checking, or High Sticking called on me or the CPU.

I did have dozens of goals disallowed for high-sticking (teammates) or goalie interference (usually me taking the puck to the net and then a second player scoring on a rebound), and after 100 or so games finally had the CPU have a goal disallowed, so anything can happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancdave
That's interesting. I've played over 100 games, a few at Pro, many at All Star, most at Super Star. Adjusted sliders. Franchise, Play-offs and Play Now. Still never seen Interference, Cross Checking, or High Sticking called on me or the CPU.

I did have dozens of goals disallowed for high-sticking (teammates) or goalie interference (usually me taking the puck to the net and then a second player scoring on a rebound), and after 100 or so games finally had the CPU have a goal disallowed, so anything can happen.
I have not seen Cross Checking. I have played only 10 games so far. Just started the regular season last night. The penalty variety and frequency of penalties is the best I have been able to attain on the series. When I saw interference and Holding and a couple of slapping I was like nice.....rarely saw those on 19. Then I saw one high sticking which was great. Maybe it was an outlier as I have not played over a 100 games like many here.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
Rookie

lancdave's Arena

Yeah, I'm actually happy with the variety of calls with the slider adjustments. Hooking and tripping are still the main calls (and thus sliders toned down), but have seen plenty of holding, elbowing, and boarding (less now that I'm more careful about over-aggressive forechecking of defensemen into the boards), and even an occasional charging.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Rookie

That's quite strange. Currently I'm playing 19 cause I don't really like the skating in 21 and overall more arcade like (imo) appearance of the game. However, I've never seen a elbowing penalty either in 19, 20 or 21 - even with sliders at 100. Same with high sticking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »