Home

Coaching Question

This is a discussion on Coaching Question within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Coaching Question

Was just about to go pick up NHL22 for Ps5.. My question is what do we look for when it comes to NHL coaching and AHL coaching for franchise mode... I know what to look for when it comes to scouts but can't find a youtube video that explains much about what to look for as far as coaching
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #2
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Coaching Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAFBall00
Was just about to go pick up NHL22 for Ps5.. My question is what do we look for when it comes to NHL coaching and AHL coaching for franchise mode... I know what to look for when it comes to scouts but can't find a youtube video that explains much about what to look for as far as coaching
It depends on what you want to do with your current head coach. I always go to the coach and see how the players that I have already fit the scheme. Obviously you look at your top talent first, and see how they fit. If the percentage is low, or your top talent dont fit the scheme, I would dump the coach ASAP.

If hiring a new coach, I tend to start off cheap and hire a B overall coach with low B or better skills because he can always improve as the years go on. The most important thing again, is scheme. Find the coach that has the highest percentage for scheme fit for the talent you already have, and DO NOT forget to look at your top talent to see how they match up with it. I have made the mistake of hiring a high ovr coach, but none of my top talent fit the scheme.

Once you have the coach, get NHL scouts out ASAP to get scouting for players to better fit the scheme. Wait around 60 days, and then start shopping for players.

If you need any other guidance, let me know. I have rebuilt like 4 teams so far this cycle, and I got it down pretty well.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 04-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic
It depends on what you want to do with your current head coach. I always go to the coach and see how the players that I have already fit the scheme. Obviously you look at your top talent first, and see how they fit. If the percentage is low, or your top talent dont fit the scheme, I would dump the coach ASAP.

If hiring a new coach, I tend to start off cheap and hire a B overall coach with low B or better skills because he can always improve as the years go on. The most important thing again, is scheme. Find the coach that has the highest percentage for scheme fit for the talent you already have, and DO NOT forget to look at your top talent to see how they match up with it. I have made the mistake of hiring a high ovr coach, but none of my top talent fit the scheme.

Once you have the coach, get NHL scouts out ASAP to get scouting for players to better fit the scheme. Wait around 60 days, and then start shopping for players.

If you need any other guidance, let me know. I have rebuilt like 4 teams so far this cycle, and I got it down pretty well.
This hits the nail on the head. I typically struggle to replace head coaches because the teams that I run are typically low budget.

Question: Does a lack of chemistry affect player progression? I'm currently playing every game, but can't afford to hire a new coach. The closest I can get to even being neutral with my d-pairing is- -3, 0, 0 for the 3 pairings, with the top pairing having my top D prospect on it. Just want to make sure this won't be a long term progression issue for him.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #4

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
This hits the nail on the head. I typically struggle to replace head coaches because the teams that I run are typically low budget.

Question: Does a lack of chemistry affect player progression? I'm currently playing every game, but can't afford to hire a new coach. The closest I can get to even being neutral with my d-pairing is- -3, 0, 0 for the 3 pairings, with the top pairing having my top D prospect on it. Just want to make sure this won't be a long term progression issue for him.
Yes, line chem can make or break almost every player.

I drafted a 77ovr elite med defenseman and had him near a 90 at seasons end with him on a +3 line. He had 11 goals, and 47 helpers in 65 games.

Always, and I mean ALWAYS take control of your AHL lines and put those guys in a good position line wise. If not, you will be stuck with mid 70's players nearing age 30.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Operation Sports mobile app
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 04-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Yes, line chem can make or break almost every player.

I drafted a 77ovr elite med defenseman and had him near a 90 at seasons end with him on a +3 line. He had 11 goals, and 47 helpers in 65 games.

Always, and I mean ALWAYS take control of your AHL lines and put those guys in a good position line wise. If not, you will be stuck with mid 70's players nearing age 30.

Crap. My AHL lines are fine, it's my NHL lines that are bust. Did a "2022-23" expansion (set some house rules for picking, simmed a year so that I'd draft around 4-5 OA, kept the players that I drafted, etc.), so my lineup is pretty rotten in the first place, but I've got Nemec playing on the top pair...I'm only 4 games in, but he has a goal and a couple of assists, so maybe if I keep producing with him it'll be fine. If not, I guess I'll have to send him to the AHL and replace him with some other scrub that I've got
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Crap. My AHL lines are fine, it's my NHL lines that are bust. Did a "2022-23" expansion (set some house rules for picking, simmed a year so that I'd draft around 4-5 OA, kept the players that I drafted, etc.), so my lineup is pretty rotten in the first place, but I've got Nemec playing on the top pair...I'm only 4 games in, but he has a goal and a couple of assists, so maybe if I keep producing with him it'll be fine. If not, I guess I'll have to send him to the AHL and replace him with some other scrub that I've got
Just gotta play with it a bit. Try and get attainable players on the cheap that help line chem. It will boost the other players, at the expense of drafting in the top 10 the next season lol

2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 04-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Just gotta play with it a bit. Try and get attainable players on the cheap that help line chem. It will boost the other players, at the expense of drafting in the top 10 the next season lol

Hahaha, yeah...I'm playing every game so I'm going to assume that I won't be picking top 10 (regardless of how my team is), but I also want the young core that I've got to develop properly. Fortunately the only rookie skater that I've got in mish-mash of a lineup is Nemec. Everyone else is in the AHL/CHL/etc.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

I forgot to check this before i hired my coach and went for A in Influence instead of checking for scheme... However I play on playing all of the games and not simulating so i dont know if playing all of the games in AHL and NHL makes a difference on the coach or not

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »