Home

EA Sports UFC Hands-On Impressions

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC Hands-On Impressions within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports UFC Hands-On Impressions

Gaming Trend has posted their EA Sports UFC hands-on preview, as they took Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson into the octagon and talk about presentation, controls, atmosphere, ground game and much more.

Quote:
The interface is simplicity itself, showing a stamina gauge, a clock, the current round, and a silhouette of a fighter in the upper corners. This character representation shows a gradiated damage model for all four limbs, the torso, and the head. Taking damage on an arm makes it less effective at blocking and striking and also causes redness and chafing. Taking repeated strikes to the legs will make your fighter move slower and with a limp, less likely to fire off a kick in a rapid fashion. Shots to the torso tend to wobble the fighter, sapping their stamina. Given that EA Canada is the team behind the Fight Night series, it’s not surprising to see such a simple yet elegant approach.

The stunning presentation aside, it was time to pick up a controller and see the game in motion. Marching the fighters in the ring, Brian Hayes gave us a preview of the striking controls. The four buttons on the controller control the four limbs on your fighter. Pushing forward or away or using L1 and R1 act as modifiers. L1 makes your fighter deliver a “heavy” version of the strike on the limb you selected. Bouncing off a cage wall, a Superman punch, a leaping knee, and other highlight reel-worthy strikes are all delivered with the more “animated” delivery via R1. Defense is as simple as holding down the right trigger to quickly block, but it’s not 100% effective. If you hold the trigger and then hit a punch or kick button to provide a high or low block you’ll stop that incoming strike, if you are quick enough to predict and intercept it.

Read plenty more here.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
They are gonna screw this up i'm betting. This game needs to be as realistic as possible or i'm gonna be pissed. This is my ****ing sport.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119
They are gonna screw this up i'm betting. This game needs to be as realistic as possible or i'm gonna be pissed. This is my ****ing sport.
What you mean realistic that's the problem with games now.People like you want it to be real go watch tv cuz developers are trying to blur the lines and it's taking fun out of sports games.Before patches games looked crappy but were fun.Unless you want to get on Kickstarter and create your own game,you're either going to have choppy or animation heavy movements.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeemdaprince
What you mean realistic that's the problem with games now.People like you want it to be real go watch tv cuz developers are trying to blur the lines and it's taking fun out of sports games.Before patches games looked crappy but were fun.Unless you want to get on Kickstarter and create your own game,you're either going to have choppy or animation heavy movements.
That's completely subjective. IMO there is nothing wrong with making games realistic. It just shows how innovative the game can be whilst being fun simultaneously. Keep in mind that not everybody has your mentality and that there are people who find fun and are passionate in simulation gaming.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Banned

Realism is key. You can make a game fun and accessible while still striving for realism. Realism is in everything, from wanting proper foot planting, proper speed of animations, stamina, hit reactions, physics from takedowns and cage positions. Why would anyone not want that to be as real as possible?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: EA Sports UFC Hands-On Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators1984
Realism is key. You can make a game fun and accessible while still striving for realism. Realism is in everything, from wanting proper foot planting, proper speed of animations, stamina, hit reactions, physics from takedowns and cage positions. Why would anyone not want that to be as real as possible?
Because most casual fans dont need that to have fun. They only care that their favorite fighter is in the game and that they can KO people online.

The two most "sim" major sports games right now are NBA 2k and the Show and they out of the box and without slider tweaks they play extremely arcade. What does that tell you? That game companies recognize that most gamers want an easily accessible and fun game without a ton of realism. They dont give a crap about accurate foul shots or ball/strike percentage.

To bring it back to UFC, all those things you listed are great and I'm sure all fans would enjoy them but they arent geared toward the casual fan and the casual fan is what matters when it comes to significant sales. If EA gives me sliders that work or a sim mode like UFC 3, I'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: EA Sports UFC Hands-On Impressions

I wouldn't consider myself just a "casual" MMA fan, but ****, man, I'll be that guy - I'd prefer the "arcade realism" that games like Fifa (which I think is the best realism representation in sports gaming), or The Show, bring. I'm not trying to spend fifteen hours learning how to move the stick just right so my character's foot plants at the exact right angle. I want to play a video game and at the end of the day, that's what most people want.

Now, I don't mean I want an arcade game. I want a realistic game, but I still want a game, not a simulator. If that makes sense. And it probably doesn't...it's late.

Last edited by Beantown; 03-12-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown
I wouldn't consider myself just a "casual" MMA fan, but ****, man, I'll be that gay - I'd prefer the "arcade realism" that games like Fifa (which I think is the best realism representation in sports gaming), or The Show, bring. I'm not trying to spend fifteen hours learning how to move the stick just right so my character's foot plants at the exact right angle. I want to play a video game and at the end of the day, that's what most people want.

Now, I don't mean I want an arcade game. I want a realistic game, but I still want a game, not a simulator. If that makes sense. And it probably doesn't...it's late.
Thank you Beans that's the point I'm trying to drive.Guys get all huffy over imperfections and forget what the point of gaming.Don't get me wrong I want balance.I don't think it's fair to think a computer can replicate the infinite amount of movements the human body can make.As long as the AI is strategic and unpredictable I'm good.That I believe is achievable in any genre (arcade/sim).

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »