Home

The Poor Man's EA UFC 3

This is a discussion on The Poor Man's EA UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #25
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Poor Man's EA UFC 3

It's a hard comparison to make but I'll try.

Tekken is a lot about learning (memorizing) many characters with very many moves and specific guaranteed combos. It has a big emphasis on input execution and really just takes a long time to get decent at. IMO, it has too many moves and the characters end up feeling a bit too similar... and the jugglingc ombos also all the same and ugly. I would say it involves more skill... it just has more stuff, a lot more... a lot of stuff. I just don't think all kinds of skill as sophisticated or fun. A lot of the content in Tekken feels bland and redundant to me. It's why I prefer Soul Calibur, but there hasn't been a new one since 2012 (discounting the f2p nonsense they released after that, still on PS3, which already died).

Absolver, IMO, is a distilled fight game. Although there are many moves, there are no specific characters (no templates). You arrange the moves how you want. So, in comparison to Tekken, I"m quite sure there is a lot less raw knowledge to acquire. There is also pretty much no guaranteed combo, so that means a lot less stuff to momorize. But the sophistication of the fight games is all there: timing, many defensive options, attacks with defensive properties and mix ups of many kinds with well distributed importance (as opposed to hi lo dictating the meta). And I really like that you gotta work for every hit. I'm also very much amazed that a game so open can be so balanced at launch.

Furthermore, I love the composition of the fights: no ducking to block a leg kick with your forearm; and no hitting the opponent's feet while he is in the air, most of the time... you just stand in front of eachother the whole time. Even with simple graphics, I think it looks way better than Tekken, because of this. It looks like movie fights.

If you're thinking about getting Absolver on PS4, you might wanna wait a couple of days, to see if they manage to fix the servers, properly. They've busted for 3 days. And Absolver doesn't deal with lag well, the netcode (whatever they call "the way you compensate for latency") is really terrible. But when servers are working normally, most (dedicated) 1v1 fights have very little latency and play out very well.

If you're familiar with For Honor, I'd say Absolver is very similar, but the gameplay is way better, much more open, creative and not based on the freaking HUD.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
Banned

this game is nothing like UFC LMAO
Old 09-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
It's a hard comparison to make but I'll try.

Tekken is a lot about learning (memorizing) many characters with very many moves and specific guaranteed combos. It has a big emphasis on input execution and really just takes a long time to get decent at. IMO, it has too many moves and the characters end up feeling a bit too similar... and the jugglingc ombos also all the same and ugly. I would say it involves more skill... it just has more stuff, a lot more... a lot of stuff. I just don't think all kinds of skill as sophisticated or fun. A lot of the content in Tekken feels bland and redundant to me. It's why I prefer Soul Calibur, but there hasn't been a new one since 2012 (discounting the f2p nonsense they released after that, still on PS3, which already died).

Absolver, IMO, is a distilled fight game. Although there are many moves, there are no specific characters (no templates). You arrange the moves how you want. So, in comparison to Tekken, I"m quite sure there is a lot less raw knowledge to acquire. There is also pretty much no guaranteed combo, so that means a lot less stuff to momorize. But the sophistication of the fight games is all there: timing, many defensive options, attacks with defensive properties and mix ups of many kinds with well distributed importance (as opposed to hi lo dictating the meta). And I really like that you gotta work for every hit. I'm also very much amazed that a game so open can be so balanced at launch.

Furthermore, I love the composition of the fights: no ducking to block a leg kick with your forearm; and no hitting the opponent's feet while he is in the air, most of the time... you just stand in front of eachother the whole time. Even with simple graphics, I think it looks way better than Tekken, because of this. It looks like movie fights.

If you're thinking about getting Absolver on PS4, you might wanna wait a couple of days, to see if they manage to fix the servers, properly. They've busted for 3 days. And Absolver doesn't deal with lag well, the netcode (whatever they call "the way you compensate for latency") is really terrible. But when servers are working normally, most (dedicated) 1v1 fights have very little latency and play out very well.

If you're familiar with For Honor, I'd say Absolver is very similar, but the gameplay is way better, much more open, creative and not based on the freaking HUD.
Thanks for the very detailed explanation. I've actually played Tekken games before so I'm not sure about getting Tekken 7 simply because I fear it may be similar to Tekken 6. Although I like the addition of Akuma so maybe I will buy it. I'm gonna choose wisely!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #28
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Entertained
Thanks for the very detailed explanation. I've actually played Tekken games before so I'm not sure about getting Tekken 7 simply because I fear it may be similar to Tekken 6. Although I like the addition of Akuma so maybe I will buy it. I'm gonna choose wisely!
Lol dude, I swear I was thinking the same exact thing. Akuma is such a friggin BOSS.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

And 1 just for Dave....

Akumeow

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #30
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
And 1 just for Dave....

Akumeow
I like that much more than I can express with a "like" button.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #31
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Absolver PS4 servers are still in trouble, btw. They are partially fixed, as in: you can connect and join schools; but most matches still have unbearable lag. I'll try to remember to report it here when they finally fix it. It was working well a few days ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #32
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

I hated on this game for awhile, eventually played it. God damn it's fun.

If anyone wants the business on PC hit me up

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »