Home

Ideas to improve grappling in EA UFC

This is a discussion on Ideas to improve grappling in EA UFC within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Ideas to improve grappling in EA UFC

Tbh the grappling is awesome but the rock-paper-scissors mechanic should be based on position/ratings instead of stamina(with long term stamina impacting ratings).

Have minor transition>major transition>blocking>punching>minor transition

Minor transitions shouldnt be reversable. They could also set up submissions. Have like 2-4 minor transitions equal a major one(depending on level and ratings). Also doing minor transitions increase speed of major ones and decrease stages for subs.

So for instance, getting wrist control is a minor transition, shifting your hips to one side is a minor transition, then you can either go straight for a sub with less stages or major transition to get up but it’ll be way faster due to using minor transitions first.

I’d also like to see a scramble mechanic(and rating). Instead of auto reversals when you time a reverse(clicking R3) on a major transition it creates a scramble situation and both players have to try to “win”. Submissions should be possible from here. Maybe a timed button mash like the arm bar submission in EA MMA

These mechanics can also apply to wrestling. I’d like a struggle animation and the same minigame.

What this does is create depth in the ground game for higher level players but newer guys can still use major transitions/punching/blocking which would work the same. Also by switching reversals to clicking R3 it gives us the option to deny only incase someone wants to be on bottom.

For clinch work i’d like to see movement in the clinch impacting transition speeds. If I double under and push forward it should make the body clinch easier. If we’re in single collar I should be able to pivot towards your lead leg and make a sweep easier by taking you off balance. Clinch transition speeds need to also be faster , it is extremely difficult to hold someone in the clinch. Exception being double under.

Single collar punches/elbows need to do same damage as Thai clinch. Think about it, when you throw an elbow or punch from Thai clinch it becomes a single collar strike anyway. Against the fence over/under should always be default. Get rid of auto break on thai clinch, just make it extremely difficult to get there and hold that position.

I also think the choke minigame from EA MMA is much better than the current game. Joint locks are another beast tho and maybe they should be transition based.

A lot of stuff but I’m hoping some of it sounds good to y’all.

Feedback is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Ideas to improve grappling in EA UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Tbh the grappling is awesome but the rock-paper-scissors mechanic should be based on position/ratings instead of stamina(with long term stamina impacting ratings).

Have minor transition>major transition>blocking>punching>minor transition

Minor transitions shouldnt be reversable. They could also set up submissions. Have like 2-4 minor transitions equal a major one(depending on level and ratings). Also doing minor transitions increase speed of major ones and decrease stages for subs.

So for instance, getting wrist control is a minor transition, shifting your hips to one side is a minor transition, then you can either go straight for a sub with less stages or major transition to get up but it’ll be way faster due to using minor transitions first.

I’d also like to see a scramble mechanic(and rating). Instead of auto reversals when you time a reverse(clicking R3) on a major transition it creates a scramble situation and both players have to try to “win”. Submissions should be possible from here. Maybe a timed button mash like the arm bar submission in EA MMA

These mechanics can also apply to wrestling. I’d like a struggle animation and the same minigame.

What this does is create depth in the ground game for higher level players but newer guys can still use major transitions/punching/blocking which would work the same. Also by switching reversals to clicking R3 it gives us the option to deny only incase someone wants to be on bottom.

For clinch work i’d like to see movement in the clinch impacting transition speeds. If I double under and push forward it should make the body clinch easier. If we’re in single collar I should be able to pivot towards your lead leg and make a sweep easier by taking you off balance. Clinch transition speeds need to also be faster , it is extremely difficult to hold someone in the clinch. Exception being double under.

Single collar punches/elbows need to do same damage as Thai clinch. Think about it, when you throw an elbow or punch from Thai clinch it becomes a single collar strike anyway. Against the fence over/under should always be default. Get rid of auto break on thai clinch, just make it extremely difficult to get there and hold that position.

I also think the choke minigame from EA MMA is much better than the current game. Joint locks are another beast tho and maybe they should be transition based.

A lot of stuff but I’m hoping some of it sounds good to y’all.

Feedback is appreciated.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Be sure to repost this multiple times during the year though. As great as this development team is at listening to the community and making changes, this level of programming and design can't be done with a patch (I don't think lol). We'd have to wait until UFC 4.

XBGT: Jodie McGregor
Old 12-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
MVP

Clinch punch health events and head/wrist control.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Clinch punch health events and head/wrist control.
Agreed

Minor transition can be wrist control. And the extra damage should come with health events
Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Rookie

I agree! The only thing I would add is increased depth to takedowns and more takedown to clinch animations.

Add depth to takedowns by creating new animations that occur depending on if/when in the takedown window the takedown is defended. I.e. a takedown defend in the middle of the window results in the clinch; a single leg takedown defended late in the window results one player controlling the other player’s leg while standing (new animation), a position from which many grappling options should be available for both players.

I like your ideas for the clinch. I would add making it optional for players to shoot for a takedown and INTENTIONALLY end up in the clinch (commonly pushing the other player against the change).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
MVP

This sounds great, minor transitions and additional, more specific positions is really all I want to see with the ground game, even the fakes I'm fine with as a mechanic, I just think it's animated bizarrely.

By more specific positions, I basically mean the places that minor transitions would take you (if I'm understanding you correctly), so like deep half guard, or tripoding in someones closed guard, or butterfly guard or body triangle guard and so on.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I think that every pass should have multiple animations. Shouldn't be the same universal animation across the board - especially if you're setting up a fake pass (should be specific animations tied to that chain).

For example I should be able to posture up and pass after faking the posture up then it would naturally flow into allowing a clean pass. What's annoying about the current ground game is that I'll fake the first transition and they'll go for it yet when I go to pass the reversal counter essentially resets. This allows less competent ground players to have immense success. There needs to be a huge penalty for trying to reverse a fake by way a bigger window to pass.

That change I believe would improve the ground game considerably and could be done via patch.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Banned

Ah im an idiot

Forgot to include

POSTURING UP SHOULD NOT BE A TRANSITION

Unless someone does a minor transition to hold you down.

We should be able to freely posture up and down to deliver damage

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »