Home

Fighter AI Realism vs Difficulty

This is a discussion on Fighter AI Realism vs Difficulty within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #961
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Fighter AI Realism vs Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Yesssssss

That would make such a big difference

Only other thing I could think of is the ability to save slider sets. This way I wouldnt have to constantly readjust per fight
What do you mean by "saving slider sets"? Because one thing I think should be done if possible is give us the ability to edit each individual fighter's sliders and save them. That way they will always behave the way you've set them and you won't have to adjust differently before every fight. I don't know if you meant that or something else entirely .

Last edited by Kingslayer04; 04-30-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #962
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
What do you mean by "saving slider sets"? Because one thing I think should be done if possible is give us the ability to edit each individual fighter's sliders and save them. That way they will always behave the way you've set them and you won't have to adjust differently before every fight. I don't know if you meant that or something else entirely .
That could be one way. But I dunno if we’ll be allowed to edit fighters.

I meant the way 2k/ Madden work

You can change sliders and then have the option to save/upload/download them
Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #963
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
That could be one way. But I dunno if we’ll be allowed to edit fighters.

I meant the way 2k/ Madden work

You can change sliders and then have the option to save/upload/download them
Isn't that again universal? You download a set and it affects everyone? I mean, you don't want Ngannou and Oleinik to be similar, you don't want to lump fighters together at all actually. Not sure if I get the whole idea actually, maybe you can elaborate? I do think apart from what Skynet should be looking at with the sliders, it would be invaluable to be able to edit fighters, hopefully the UFC doesn't get in the way of that.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #964
Rookie

Quote:
Isn't that again universal? You download a set and it affects everyone? I mean, you don't want Ngannou and Oleinik to be similar, you don't want to lump fighters together at all actually. Not sure if I get the whole idea actually, maybe you can elaborate? I do think apart from what Skynet should be looking at with the sliders, it would be invaluable to be able to edit fighters, hopefully the UFC doesn't get in the way of that.
Its more for playing online with agreed rulesets basically. Crank up damage and reduce stamina at heavyweight for example would probably be a good universal change for friends who agree to more realistic settings.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #965
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFighter
Its more for playing online with agreed rulesets basically. Crank up damage and reduce stamina at heavyweight for example would probably be a good universal change for friends who agree to more realistic settings.
How do you determine which slider set would be used? Would there be a list of some kind that both players choose from? I don't know, sounds weird to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #966
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
How do you determine which slider set would be used? Would there be a list of some kind that both players choose from? I don't know, sounds weird to me.
It wouldnt be for ranked. It would be for quick match and other online modes. Lets say you and I wanted to have a sim match and Philly uploaded a slider set, we would just both use his set.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #967
MVP

@Skynet, I'm not sure if I've asked this question before but here goes: is there a way to make the AI capable of recognising patterns? My biggest issue with fighting the AI is that you can't really set traps in order to trick it into something or have to outsmart it, everything just feels so random. There's also its master countering ability too, as well as it biting on every feint. The entire mental aspect is non-existent. I know this may be very advanced and not so easy to implement but is it possible? It could be a separate Fight IQ stat or something like that, where the higher the stat is, the more the AI will be able to make these reads faster than those with a lower stat - everyone should be able to pick up on a repeated combo eventually.

Last edited by Kingslayer04; 05-25-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #968
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
@Skynet, I'm not sure if I've asked this question before but here goes: is there a way to make the AI capable of recognising patterns? My biggest issue with fighting the AI is that you can't really set traps in order to trick it into something or have to outsmart it, everything just feels so random. There's also its master countering ability too, as well as it biting on every feint. The entire mental aspect is non-existent. I know this may be very advanced and not so easy to implement but is it possible? It could be a separate Fight IQ stat or something like that, where the higher the stat is, the more the AI will be able to make these reads faster than those with a lower stat - everyone should be able to pick up on a repeated combo eventually.
Hey mate. While it's certainly possible it's by no means trivial to recognize combo patterns, and the consequences of doing it aren't always as shiny as you expect. What you're really asking for is that the AI become good at predicting and countering repeated combos over a long period of time (multiple minutes/rounds).

At the moment, the AI has the ability to recognize single strike/target patterns in the short term, meaning if you throw 5 kicks to the body, they'll expect the 6th kick to be body as well, etc. This pattern recognition behavior is only split by punch/kick and head/body. We actually had it more granular than this, and the AI started feeling too robotic and cheesy. Effective prediction isn't always a good thing...

Now, that's got nothing to do with actual combo prediction. If 90% of the time you throw a 1-2 you follow up with a 3, then humans will indeed learn that and counter it. Building a system to recognize, and duly respond, to such predictions is not something I've put a lot of time into simply because the scope of that effort is quite substantial, and the benefits haven't been worth the effort. Especially if it ends up making the AI feel more robotic than human.

That being said, it's one of the higher skill tactics that I'd love to build into the AI at some point and experiment with, because I think it has the potential to truly transform the AI experience for moderate to skilled users. Fingers crossed the opportunity arises in the future

Last edited by Skynet; 05-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »