Home

Why don't you like grappling in this game?

This is a discussion on Why don't you like grappling in this game? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What's your reason for not enjoying grappling in this game?
I don't like grappling in real life either 1 1.54%
The grappling in this game is too unrealistic 33 50.77%
The grappling in this game is too realistic 0 0%
The grappling in this game is too slow pace 28 43.08%
The grappling relies too much on stamina 13 20.00%
The grappling is too limited 45 69.23%
Other (Please post your reason) 9 13.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why don't you like grappling in this game?

I feel the Grappling is very limited fighters have different styles of grappling but in this game you basically always take the same path pass guard, hold HG until you fake em out and get GA go side control to drain stamin and then mount or crucifix gnp. That’s basically 4 positions which are most effective very limited. Not to mention I feel as though subs are very underpowered barring switches, FTF’s and 2 gates and even with those you need some kind of stamina advantage. It’s very hard to get anything off offensively against competent players you can’t bait them into mistakes really to catch them in a sub, you can’t really finish with GNP all that well. Also If I knock a guy down there is no incentive for me to pounce on him to finish him because I know he’s going to instantly recover and tie me up so what’s the point? I might as well stand him up for the KO instead of going to a decision, just my thoughts.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
MVP

Yaari's Arena

I don't really know. I loved grappling in the last game but whenever I get taken down in UFC 3 I dislike every second of it. Must be the exciting striking I guess.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
My take is no game has ever gotten it right:

UD3 had great GNP, more positions (butterfly guard, more cage positions) and things like head movement on the ground. The sub system sucked and the overall mechanics were more turn based than UFC 3.

UFC3's system is better than any other games in my opinion. It isnt turn based, there is the momentum system and there is more of a flow. The sub system is average and the GNP is really weak. Also there should be more positions.

The only thing I liked about EA MMA's grappling was the choke submission system. I felt like that was the best sub system I've played.
Loved EA MMA choke system. I liked their transition system as well. Strike to pass, pass to strike was brilliant IMO. It was constant action and you actually had to outsmart your opponent not just hold the stick in a direction. The learning curve was steep but at the highest levels it was engaging to try and win the grappling battle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt fists
Loved EA MMA choke system. I liked their transition system as well. Strike to pass, pass to strike was brilliant IMO. It was constant action and you actually had to outsmart your opponent not just hold the stick in a direction. The learning curve was steep but at the highest levels it was engaging to try and win the grappling battle.
EA MMA was the holy grail of MMA video games. Very basic but the basics were great. That game had a vulnerability system 8 years ago
Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by l The Spider l
EA MMA was the holy grail of MMA video games. Very basic but the basics were great. That game had a vulnerability system 8 years ago
I have some of my most fond memories playing that game.

You could actually lunge forward and throw a looping strike, soooo awesome...

i also had tons of epic ground fights...
Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by l The Spider l
I think its the "holy grail" for communities like this. It had an extremely realistic vulnerability system (It was the one game where a first round KO felt realistic and totally fair), I thought the structure of the career mode was great and the online guys loved the live event mode.

It still was lacking in some key ways like lack of positions, movement etc. It wouldve been interesting what EA wouldve done with that if there was a sequel.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
My take is no game has ever gotten it right:

UD3 had great GNP, more positions (butterfly guard, more cage positions) and things like head movement on the ground. The sub system sucked and the overall mechanics were more turn based than UFC 3.

UFC3's system is better than any other games in my opinion. It isnt turn based, there is the momentum system and there is more of a flow. The sub system is average and the GNP is really weak. Also there should be more positions.

The only thing I liked about EA MMA's grappling was the choke submission system. I felt like that was the best sub system I've played.
I agree with this for the most part. Except all sub systems sucked outside of EA MMA.

Give me UD3 overall variety of positions,GnP, rock system on the ground, and the ability to "hold" someone down or posture freely. Add momentum scenarios from current grappling, and subs from EA MMA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
I think its the "holy grail" for communities like this. It had an extremely realistic vulnerability system (It was the one game where a first round KO felt realistic and totally fair), I thought the structure of the career mode was great and the online guys loved the live event mode.

It still was lacking in some key ways like lack of positions, movement etc. It wouldve been interesting what EA wouldve done with that if there was a sequel.
Im still saying EA Vancouver needs to contact Victor Lugo and bring him on for the next installment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »