Home

I suck, please help (videos inside)

This is a discussion on I suck, please help (videos inside) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I suck, please help (videos inside)

So, I was doing pretty well against pro AI so I thought I got decent. When I jumped online I realised how much I sucked.
First fight I'm Overeem, second fight I'm Mcgregor.

https://youtu.be/BqDfP2JoeSc
https://youtu.be/ZdacCXQQ6LU

These are not even my worst losses, I had people marching forward like madmen spamming knees/overhands and blasting me, I tried to stay technical, make them whiff, counter but nothing. I don't wanna become elite just smash these idiots.

I watch Martial mind videos and it helped a bit but I can't seem to get the timing right: unresponsive controls, dropped inputs, delay are killing me... Anyway any tips would be appreciated...

Last edited by NEWSS; 01-23-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Pro

Re: I suck, please help (videos inside)

At your current level, and based upon the videos you’ve shown, these are the best things I can recommend for you to improve your game.

Force yourself to purposely pass up opportunities to strike. Work on this in quick match, so it doesn’t matter if you lose. I know it doesn’t make sense at first, but just force yourself to do it. Your opponent just missed a head kick, and he’s wide open for a counter? Let him off the hook. He just threw a combo and now he’s backing up? Let him go.

I notice a lot of “not good” players have a similar, rushed tendency to jump on every perceived opening. It’s like they’re somehow obliged to maintain a certain output, and just end up getting sucked into “I’m a noob, so are you, let’s get down and dirty” contests.

Its not entirely a matter of the way you attack - but WHEN you attack. You need to learn when to go, and when NOT to go. Specifically when NOT to go. You’re not horribly sloppy, and you have a decent grasp of timing. You just need to gain an understanding that not every opening needs to be chased, not ever missed strike needs to be countered. Not every opportunity needs to be capitalized on.

So that’s my advice to you. Don’t worry about “how do I do that double kick combo with Zabit” or “what transitions have momentum?” Just gain a comfort with the game - get comfortable moving around the octagon, get a feel for distance. Learn to anticipate your opponents advances. Learn how to lunge - and use those to disrupt your opponents advances. Try to get yourself to feel content WITHOUT biting on every single exchange.

Embrace EVERY part of the game equally - kicking, punching, clinching, wrestling, ground game - and implement them all as fluidly and effectively as possible. Always have a strong emphasis on two things: stamina, and defense. The rest will come together if you’re comfortable and relaxed, but nothing’s gonna matter if you can’t defend yourself and manage stamina. Learning to use head movement, lunges, and simply walking is very important. The sooner you familiarize yourself with defensive movement, the better.

There’s a lot of tricks, and tactics to learn, but focus on the fundamentals of movement and patience first. It’s SO much easier to add things to your game once you have a solid, fundamentally sound base to build upon.

So many newer players rush their game, trying to learn and apply all these tricks and higher level tactics to their arsenal, before they ever grasp the fundamentals. Then later on, once they start advancing competitively, they’re struggling with major holes in their game from poor fundamentals that have been deeply ingrained in their brain.

If you can establish sound fundamentals, and patience, and slowly build your skills up, you could have an advantage over every player in the world who rushed through those crucial initial stages of establishing fundamentally sound instincts.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 01-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Banned

At work so I cant watch yet

OP are you on xbox or ps4?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
At your current level, and based upon the videos you’ve shown, these are the best things I can recommend for you to improve your game.

Force yourself to purposely pass up opportunities to strike. Work on this in quick match, so it doesn’t matter if you lose. I know it doesn’t make sense at first, but just force yourself to do it. Your opponent just missed a head kick, and he’s wide open for a counter? Let him off the hook. He just threw a combo and now he’s backing up? Let him go.

I notice a lot of “not good” players have a similar, rushed tendency to jump on every perceived opening. It’s like they’re somehow obliged to maintain a certain output, and just end up getting sucked into “I’m a noob, so are you, let’s get down and dirty” contests.

Its not entirely a matter of the way you attack - but WHEN you attack. You need to learn when to go, and when NOT to go. Specifically when NOT to go. You’re not horribly sloppy, and you have a decent grasp of timing. You just need to gain an understanding that not every opening needs to be chased, not ever missed strike needs to be countered. Not every opportunity needs to be capitalized on.

So that’s my advice to you. Don’t worry about “how do I do that double kick combo with Zabit” or “what transitions have momentum?” Just gain a comfort with the game - get comfortable moving around the octagon, get a feel for distance. Learn to anticipate your opponents advances. Learn how to lunge - and use those to disrupt your opponents advances. Try to get yourself to feel content WITHOUT biting on every single exchange.

Embrace EVERY part of the game equally - kicking, punching, clinching, wrestling, ground game - and implement them all as fluidly and effectively as possible. Always have a strong emphasis on two things: stamina, and defense. The rest will come together if you’re comfortable and relaxed, but nothing’s gonna matter if you can’t defend yourself and manage stamina. Learning to use head movement, lunges, and simply walking is very important. The sooner you familiarize yourself with defensive movement, the better.

There’s a lot of tricks, and tactics to learn, but focus on the fundamentals of movement and patience first. It’s SO much easier to add things to your game once you have a solid, fundamentally sound base to build upon.

So many newer players rush their game, trying to learn and apply all these tricks and higher level tactics to their arsenal, before they ever grasp the fundamentals. Then later on, once they start advancing competitively, they’re struggling with major holes in their game from poor fundamentals that have been deeply ingrained in their brain.

If you can establish sound fundamentals, and patience, and slowly build your skills up, you could have an advantage over every player in the world who rushed through those crucial initial stages of establishing fundamentally sound instincts.
Will do as you suggest, it makes sense, thank you for taking the time to elaborate sir.
Sometimes though, when they just stick to you like glue spamming knees and overhands it's hard to remain calm and patient but I'll do my best
Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
At work so I cant watch yet

OP are you on xbox or ps4?
I'm on PS4...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
Rookie

No low block. No head movement. You were just getting 1 2’d all day lol. Try slip and counter when there’s constant 1 2’s.

And make sure you’re out of range when you drop your hands. You were right on the end of them punches just eating them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Pro

LarsP's Arena

Go in to Strike Recording mode and just practice slipping 1-2's, it may take some time to get your timing right, but it will pay off.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsP
Go in to Strike Recording mode and just practice slipping 1-2's, it may take some time to get your timing right, but it will pay off.
I need to do this so bad hahaha. I can beat high level players with really diverse striking but if some noob throws a bunch of one twos at my I really struggle

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »