Home

Strike Feints Need To Cost More Stamina (Sometimes)

This is a discussion on Strike Feints Need To Cost More Stamina (Sometimes) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
Strike Feints Need To Cost More Stamina (Sometimes)

I'm a big fan of feints. I don't necessarily use them as often as I'd like, but when i see an opponent actually using them correctly

THAT SAID...I feel that "late" strike cancellation/fakes need to cost a lot more stamina. Take a rear roundhouse kick to the body as an example.

If someone starts up that strike, and cancels it before or just as their rear foot leaves the mat....let's say 20% through the animation....I'm OK with that not really costing much stamina. It was more of a feint/twitch to throw off opponent, and didn't take much energy. While going through that feint, the aggressor is vulnerable to other strikes coming down the pike. Cool.

Take the same strike, but cancel it several frames later. The striker's leg is elevated and parallel to the ground; starting to extend the foot to the opponent; muscles have activated at full speed to produce a swift strike, so there is a ton of momentum behind this action!............but then the striker pulls back as he sees I have read his attack.

In 'real life' such a late cancellation/feint would take a lot of energy to stop the momentum on a dime and return to a proper stance. It could also leave the person in a very awkward position/offbalance. I don't think that is fairly represented in-game right now.

This past weekend during the LEC I had an opponent perform a dozen or more of these 'late feints' over the period of a couple of rounds. They weren't Jabs or Lead Hooks --- they were Roundhouses; Overhands; etc

This style of play truly didn't seem to affect his stamina at all. He still threw 110+ strikes in the first round as a Middleweight, and came into round 2 with 85%+ stamina. Plus, it just looks silly. I beat the guy by being very patient and trying to time these feints.... but it was annoying to say the least. Not to mention is looked and felt like total cheeze.

As I type this topic, I see several previous posts about this issue in the "Here are Similar Threads We Found" section. Most folks seem to agree with me on this matter, but would like to hear what you all say.

I don't want to nerf feints that are well executed! But I also don't want people cancelling strikes 60% through a haymaker or heavy roundhouse strike, without some sort of major stamina implication.

I actually feel that these late feints should cost the same as a WHIFFED strike.

I'm no pro fighter, but do have fun hitting the heavy bag in the garage. Throwing an all-out Haymaker and whiffing the bag definitely puts you off balance and costs energy. But throwing an all-out Haymaker, pulling-back 60% through the strike, and getting back into a defensive stance....that'll gas ya quick (and destroy your joints if you aint careful haha)

What do y'all think? I bet (HOPE) there is some stamina drain for late strike cancellations....but it definitely doesn't seem like it's much....

FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Strike Feints Need To Cost More Stamina (Sometimes)

What might be cool is if certain late cancels changed stances with certain fighters, particularly rear kicks.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Agree
But
First we need to decrease significantly stamina cost for the most strike Feints (early Feints).
Example: Roundhouse kick rising foot feint cost large stamina as full kick.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned

Not for it at all. Theyre useless. Noone bites on feints unless they have haptic feedback on
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
Not for it at all. Theyre useless. Noone bites on feints unless they have haptic feedback on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
They're not useless, that's up to how the player utilizes them.

Certain strikes that aren't feintable like the Axe kick, question mark kick, andving forward lead leg kick/body kick should be Feintable.

Watching Adesanya feint a question mark kick to land a straight was absolutely beautiful against Silva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Agree
But
First we need to decrease significantly stamina cost for the most strike Feints (early Feints).
Example: Roundhouse kick rising foot feint cost large stamina as full kick.
I agree with significantly decreasing the stamina cost for early strike feints.

As for Boiler, I think something that people don't know is, if you get hit while Feinting, you're vulnerable. For example, I like to gauge distance with jab feint or lead body hook feint. However, if I eat a head kick while feinting the jab, or a push kick while I'm lowering my level for the body hook, I am very likely to get rocked. Now with regards to the vulnerability spike when Feinting, I'm not too much of a fan of it, but it does make sense since it's essentially your opponent not biting on your feints.

Feints work very well against players who are quick to react to everything with a 3-4 piece, especially players who look to land a slip straight hook hook if they even FEEL a jab is coming.

If anything I would like for more fluidity with feints and lunges, especially when using characters like Cruz, Adesanya, Yair, etc etc.

I believe there is a window for how late you can cancel a strike, and the later you go to cancel it, the more vulnerable you are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I'm definitely a fan of the vulnerability factor involved!

Also agree that 'quick feints' could use a look at in terms of costing less stamina or potentially, a shorter vulnerability window that better matches the animation/etc.

Has anyone had success with TD feints? I'm too scared to try, I figure I'll just eat an uppercut and die lmao

Do TD feints involve stamina?
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
I'm definitely a fan of the vulnerability factor involved!

Also agree that 'quick feints' could use a look at in terms of costing less stamina or potentially, a shorter vulnerability window that better matches the animation/etc.

Has anyone had success with TD feints? I'm too scared to try, I figure I'll just eat an uppercut and die lmao

Do TD feints involve stamina?
Yep, you can eat a shot with a TD feint, but generally, when I'm using the TD Feints effectively, I'm getting free clinches.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
Just started!

This is cool.

Move levels should factor in too, simulating how high level fighters feint big without putting much weight into it.

BTW: I can't start a thread, wassup with that

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »