Home

What determines a 10-8 grappling round?

This is a discussion on What determines a 10-8 grappling round? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
What determines a 10-8 grappling round?

I have no idea if this will be added or not to the next game (fingers crossed that it will) but I was wondering what the criteria should be for judges granting a 10-8 round for grappling:

Should it be simply control time? Damage on the ground? Near stoppages on the ground (assuming ground TKOs are improved)? A combination of all these things (if so what should weigh more?)

Keep in mind, I'm thinking of this more from a game perspective. Real life examples are helpful but I'm really asking what would you have to see in order for a 10-8 grappling round to make sense in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: What determines a 10-8 grappling round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I have no idea if this will be added or not to the next game (fingers crossed that it will) but I was wondering what the criteria should be for judges granting a 10-8 round for grappling:

Should it be simply control time? Damage on the ground? Near stoppages on the ground (assuming ground TKOs are improved)? A combination of all these things (if so what should weigh more?)

Keep in mind, I'm thinking of this more from a game perspective. Real life examples are helpful but I'm really asking what would you have to see in order for a 10-8 grappling round to make sense in the game?
Duration and dominance will be the main factors. Making your oppenent defend the whole round with little to no attacking output would also be a key factor.

Reasonably good examples are gastellum vs jarcare round 1 and weidman vs gastellum barring the knockdown.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
MVP

Ah, you said think about the game. I was about to give some real life examples. I'll sound off anyway.

Anyway, for there to be a 10-8 grappling round the round must go almost entirely or entirely on the round (4-5 mins). Control is a given, you can't be that dominant (10-8) without actually controlling your opponent a lot of time. But it's not the only factor - another factor is damage. I think the Khabib and Conor fight is a great example. Round 1 - great control game for Khabib for the entire round, but it was just control. Yes, it was uncomfortable, yes, Conor couldn't do much, yes, it was dominant, but there was no damage. It wasn't exceptionally dominant, which in MMA terms involves a lot of damage. It's a clear round for Khabib, but it's a 10-9. Now Round 2 is a whole 'nother ball game - this time we had control and a **** ton of damage, brutal, aggressive punches from stacked guard and full guard top. Conor was helpless again, but this time he was getting pummeled too. Now that's a 10-8.

I guess just make the game account for control time first, and then calculate how much significant damage is done on the ground too. I'm actually wondering if simply postured/powerful strikes should contribute too, like the Back side shots to the block. These look really heavy and the other guy's just turtled in a very submissive position. But yeah, control and heavy damage should be the main factors.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
Ah, you said think about the game. I was about to give some real life examples. I'll sound off anyway.

Anyway, for there to be a 10-8 grappling round the round must go almost entirely or entirely on the round (4-5 mins). Control is a given, you can't be that dominant (10-8) without actually controlling your opponent a lot of time. But it's not the only factor - another factor is damage. I think the Khabib and Conor fight is a great example. Round 1 - great control game for Khabib for the entire round, but it was just control. Yes, it was uncomfortable, yes, Conor couldn't do much, yes, it was dominant, but there was no damage. It wasn't exceptionally dominant, which in MMA terms involves a lot of damage. It's a clear round for Khabib, but it's a 10-9. Now Round 2 is a whole 'nother ball game - this time we had control and a **** ton of damage, brutal, aggressive punches from stacked guard and full guard top. Conor was helpless again, but this time he was getting pummeled too. Now that's a 10-8.

I guess just make the game account for control time first, and then calculate how much significant damage is done on the ground too. I'm actually wondering if simply postured/powerful strikes should contribute too, like the Back side shots to the block. These look really heavy and the other guy's just turtled in a very submissive position. But yeah, control and heavy damage should be the main factors.
Basically, the damage from HG Postured Up, Crucifix, Side control, Side Saddle, FG Postured Up and Back Mount/Top mount should be factored with control for 10-8 rounds.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04

Damage isnt required for 10-8 rounds though. Domination of postion and duration are enough under the new rules. For example having people's backs the whole round and fending off submissions is a 10-8 round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

"Position before submission"

Damage is important, but control is the core.

After control, then factor in offense via strikes or subs.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
"Position before submission"

Damage is important, but control is the core.

After control, then factor in offense via strikes or subs.
I take you down 30 seconds in to a round and stay in half guard dropping postured down strikes the entire round. You attempt a kimura 3 times while in bottom half guard but never get past the 2nd stage and never get out of half guard.....10-8 round?

I take you down 30 seconds into a round and quickly move to mount. I hold mount for the next 3:30 landing postured down strikes and never attempting a sub. You transition from full mount to half guard to full guard and attempt a triangle with 30 seconds to go that gets to the third stage....10-8 round?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
MVP

Damage and attempts to finish the fight (the closer to finishing the better) have to be there, it's not just about control. It also matters what your opponent is able to do. Like aholbert said, on the feet outstriking and outstriking by a certain amount matter. 10-8s are about total domination where the opponent practically isn't able to do anything and in addition to that, they are getting wrecked (i.e. take tons of damage). A clearly won round does not necessarily equate to a 10-8. Once again, Khabib - Conor R1 is a 10-9. Khabib - Conor R2 is a 10-8. In the game that would mean getting constantly denied, eating many heavy shots from postured positions and not being able to mount any offense or threat. And all of that happening for pretty much the entire round.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »