Home

Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories

This is a discussion on Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories

I personally dont like having perks in the game because they alone define the entire fighter. Sure you have stats, but your perks seem to be primary and your stats are secondary.

Having individual limb accuracy/power/speed?
Chin stats?
Grappling with technique vs grappling via brute strength
Real power vs speed, not what we have currently where fighters like Ngannou seem no different than Frankie Edgar in terms of striking.
Elusiveness, Anderson Silva like vs Forrest, its clearly a unique skill to only certain fighters.

I would rather have a certain combination of stats/categories show me a sneak peak of the fighter, and then have the fighters skill set to define that fighter in combination with its stats.

Do we really need perks to show us that a guy can use a bjj choke better? Shouldn't that be defined by that fighter having that move in his arsenal in the first place so therefore he should know how to use it? And if we want to differentiate experts from mediocre skilled fighters then there are plenty of other ways to achieve that without perks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories

I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with perks, but yeah, there’s probably better methods to define fighters. I think the big thing is just more variation in stats and in individual move-sets.

Each individual move should be given to each fighter, and then a level attached to it. With striking, it’s already like this, the main thing we need to fix with striking is differentiating the animations, and having extra stats, such as power for each arm and each leg, rather than just a single power stat. Same goes for stuff like speed.

With grappling, I think what we need is each individual transition/takedown/sub/reversals to be set, each with their own levels. As it is now, you just set “wrestling transitions level 2” and that’s it. Or “BJJ reversals level 3”. We need to be able to have these changed more in depth, just like it is with striking.

Subs are an in between. You assign a submission, but the level dictates what positions you can pull of the sub from. We should be able to have fighters that can only pull of a specific submission from a single position, yet it’s still a level 5 move. They shouldn’t come grouped together in packs.

Grappling stats could certainly be worked on too. Instead of having “top control” and “bottom control” we should have stats for each individual position. I know it’s a lot of work, but it would make the game so much better. Perhaps this is something to be worked on in move-sets rather than stats. In addition to levelled transition/reversal/sub move-sets, we should also have level based positions. So in a moveset, we can have a level 4 full guard, level 3 top mount, level 2 side control bottom, etc... these stats would dictate the overall control/escape ability/survivability a fighter has in each position.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Rookie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much how i see it, these perks just seem to take away from not only the realism of the game, but also the customization part, because you feel like you are forced to take certain perks which forces you to be a certain kind of fighter, which then presents another problem of balancing these perks which just seems extra work for the devs.

I think its time to start going away from generic "words" that define who you are and rather let the players pick and chose all sorts of cool combinations to what their fighter actually is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember when i played a UFC undisputed alpha years ago, and you got to create your caf, and you had x amount of points to spend, and if you chose to put all your points into 99 striking and 99 kicking, then all the other stats would be below 50 and you would be one dimensional if thats what you preferred. Man, i had a blast watching all sorts of awesome creations people were making, some balanced, some stacked into 1 stat, tattoos and movesets, thats what needs to be a selling point, thats what is unique in MMA vs other sports game, and i hope we go away from generic terms and more freedom, i want to control every inch of my fighter with no perks defining my movesets.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #4
Pro

The perks concept does feel kind of pointless. Like why not just have the perks represented in the stats? What’s the point in having a “perk” that increases your takedown stat from 95 to 98? Wouldn’t it be easier to just make the TD stat 98 in the first place?

It’s weird with CAFs because with the right perks selected, you can have a ridiculously OP grappler without the stats reflecting it. 92 top game doesn’t look so bad... but with level 5 work horse, level 5 crushing presence, and level 5 force of nature, it’s as good as having 100 top game.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
Rookie

I like perks, they give more "individuality" to fighters and they encourage you to use said fighters more like the real life counterparts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Stats should be #1 but perks shouldnt be removed. 2 fighters might have similar stamina levels irl but might show a burst of energy more in a particular round most time he fights compared to someone else who is more stable throughout the rounds. A perk would be good for that specific round for the fighter to gain abit more stamina that particular round but have a slight decrease in the next but the 2 fighters would still have the stamina %ratio decrease, just peaking differently.

Also perks like stronger punches while slightly rocked is good as some fighters get alot of finishes while slightly rocked, so that perk could give them a slight increase in power while they are slightly rocked.

Last edited by Trillz; 04-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with perks, but yeah, there’s probably better methods to define fighters. I think the big thing is just more variation in stats and in individual move-sets.

Each individual move should be given to each fighter, and then a level attached to it. With striking, it’s already like this, the main thing we need to fix with striking is differentiating the animations, and having extra stats, such as power for each arm and each leg, rather than just a single power stat. Same goes for stuff like speed.

With grappling, I think what we need is each individual transition/takedown/sub/reversals to be set, each with their own levels. As it is now, you just set “wrestling transitions level 2” and that’s it. Or “BJJ reversals level 3”. We need to be able to have these changed more in depth, just like it is with striking.

Subs are an in between. You assign a submission, but the level dictates what positions you can pull of the sub from. We should be able to have fighters that can only pull of a specific submission from a single position, yet it’s still a level 5 move. They shouldn’t come grouped together in packs.

Grappling stats could certainly be worked on too. Instead of having “top control” and “bottom control” we should have stats for each individual position. I know it’s a lot of work, but it would make the game so much better. Perhaps this is something to be worked on in move-sets rather than stats. In addition to levelled transition/reversal/sub move-sets, we should also have level based positions. So in a moveset, we can have a level 4 full guard, level 3 top mount, level 2 side control bottom, etc... these stats would dictate the overall control/escape ability/survivability a fighter has in each position.
There should definitely be levels for positions like you said, great idea.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc60
There should definitely be levels for positions like you said, great idea.
Would add insane depth to the ground and clinch!

Imagine being in Anderson Silva's muay thai plum, or Jacare's guard?!

Create A Fighter Content:
YouTube -> AydinZero

Music:
https://aydin-jewelz123.newgrounds.com/

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »