Home

Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories

This is a discussion on Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do you like perks? Or should they be replaced by categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillz
Stats should be #1 but perks shouldnt be removed. 2 fighters might have similar stamina levels irl but might show a burst of energy more in a particular round most time he fights compared to someone else who is more stable throughout the rounds. A perk would be good for that specific round for the fighter to gain abit more stamina that particular round but have a slight decrease in the next but the 2 fighters would still have the stamina %ratio decrease, just peaking differently.

Also perks like stronger punches while slightly rocked is good as some fighters get alot of finishes while slightly rocked, so that perk could give them a slight increase in power while they are slightly rocked.
That should already be represented in the stats and game mechanics.. If you throw a 100 strikes in 1 round(your burst you are talking about) then the next round you should be suffering the consequences for it, why do i need a perk for something that is common sense?

Thats why i said that perks just dont make sense because everything that they represent should be based on stats and move sets, because thats what defines a fighter, not a "word" that tells me im great at a choke ignoring my bjj stats.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
I don’t think there’s anything really wrong with perks, but yeah, there’s probably better methods to define fighters. I think the big thing is just more variation in stats and in individual move-sets.

Each individual move should be given to each fighter, and then a level attached to it. With striking, it’s already like this, the main thing we need to fix with striking is differentiating the animations, and having extra stats, such as power for each arm and each leg, rather than just a single power stat. Same goes for stuff like speed.

With grappling, I think what we need is each individual transition/takedown/sub/reversals to be set, each with their own levels. As it is now, you just set “wrestling transitions level 2” and that’s it. Or “BJJ reversals level 3”. We need to be able to have these changed more in depth, just like it is with striking.

Subs are an in between. You assign a submission, but the level dictates what positions you can pull of the sub from. We should be able to have fighters that can only pull of a specific submission from a single position, yet it’s still a level 5 move. They shouldn’t come grouped together in packs.

Grappling stats could certainly be worked on too. Instead of having “top control” and “bottom control” we should have stats for each individual position. I know it’s a lot of work, but it would make the game so much better. Perhaps this is something to be worked on in move-sets rather than stats. In addition to levelled transition/reversal/sub move-sets, we should also have level based positions. So in a moveset, we can have a level 4 full guard, level 3 top mount, level 2 side control bottom, etc... these stats would dictate the overall control/escape ability/survivability a fighter has in each position.
Yup exactly this
Old 04-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
MVP

Perks should be like fighters unique characteristic, like
Francis ngannou 1 punch KO perk

Max Holloway T Ferguson and Diaz Broz, a relentless stamina perk

Khabib a takedown chain perk...

This kind of thing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlimo
Perks should be like fighters unique characteristic, like
Francis ngannou 1 punch KO perk

Max Holloway T Ferguson and Diaz Broz, a relentless stamina perk

Khabib a takedown chain perk...

This kind of thing
This post is exactly the reason i made this thread because i hate everything about it(no offense personally intended).

You are picking Khabib because of his takedown perk when you should be picking him because of his technique and takedown stats to represent a wrestling type fighter you want to play.

Same applies to the other examples you gave, i want to play a pressure fighter i pick a Diaz bro, not because of his perk but because of his fighting style and attributes that work so well together.

Thats why i dont like the perks, people are forced or pushed in a direction to pick fighters on special perks ignoring their fighting styles, stats or even moves they have because perks dictate what they are good at and that should not be the case.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
Rookie

There are examples of very useful perks that represent said fighter
Decreasing stamina drain when opponent is rocked so as to flurry them (poirer)
Increase sub O when in back mount/full guard (maia/diaz)
Increased head movement in round 1 (conor)
Body roundhouse kicks do more damage (rockhold)
Increased chance of KO from spinning heel kicks (wonderboy)
Perks like crushing presence which give fighters like Cormier and khabib the ability to sap your energy
Clinch strikes do increased damage for dirty boxers
I overall like the perk system but I do believe it's not taken full advantage of and instead some perks are added when all you couldve done instead is just increase the stat
Old 04-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gion
There are examples of very useful perks that represent said fighter
Decreasing stamina drain when opponent is rocked so as to flurry them (poirer)
Increase sub O when in back mount/full guard (maia/diaz)
Increased head movement in round 1 (conor)
Body roundhouse kicks do more damage (rockhold)
Increased chance of KO from spinning heel kicks (wonderboy)
Perks like crushing presence which give fighters like Cormier and khabib the ability to sap your energy
Clinch strikes do increased damage for dirty boxers
I overall like the perk system but I do believe it's not taken full advantage of and instead some perks are added when all you couldve done instead is just increase the stat
Yes i understand that those perks "make sense" for certain fighters, but what im saying is, that those fighters should have move sets and stats that represent them specific to their strengths and that the perks are simply unnecessary.

If you want to have a high potential for a 1 hit KO, you pick Ngannou, which presents a high risk high reward type of fighter, where you cant throw a bunch of strikes for the fear of gassing, however if you do land, there is a high chance you will hurt your opponent, therefore present risk vs reward factor something that we dont have in the current game which is based on stamina as the deciding factor for pretty much everything.

I dont think perks help the game represent fighters and their unique move sets in a way that gives us the freedom to pick any fighter and have a chance to win regardless of what perks are on what fighter.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeRNT
Yes i understand that those perks "make sense" for certain fighters, but what im saying is, that those fighters should have move sets and stats that represent them specific to their strengths and that the perks are simply unnecessary.

If you want to have a high potential for a 1 hit KO, you pick Ngannou, which presents a high risk high reward type of fighter, where you cant throw a bunch of strikes for the fear of gassing, however if you do land, there is a high chance you will hurt your opponent, therefore present risk vs reward factor something that we dont have in the current game which is based on stamina as the deciding factor for pretty much everything.

I dont think perks help the game represent fighters and their unique move sets in a way that gives us the freedom to pick any fighter and have a chance to win regardless of what perks are on what fighter.
I agree with you, and I think perks are more bad than good, but I do think there’s a place for them.

Stuff such as “better head movement in round one” or “boost of stamina in rounds 3-5” or “increased damage while rocked” are all things that can only be implemented via perks. Stats and move levels can’t account for these things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
I agree with you, and I think perks are more bad than good, but I do think there’s a place for them.

Stuff such as “better head movement in round one” or “boost of stamina in rounds 3-5” or “increased damage while rocked” are all things that can only be implemented via perks. Stats and move levels can’t account for these things.
Id be ok if the perks were much more limited and fringe then they are now, like you said very far and between and rare perks like what you stated, but then once again, those would highly influence which fighter you pick, and those fighters without those perks would suffer, its the same way that we play now where stamina rules all regardless of stats or technique.

Thats why i feel like to avoid this, i would be ok with not having perks and just figure out a way to introduce things that showcase a chin stat or extra stamina without being too strong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »