Home

Grappling system that isn’t purely based on reaction time

This is a discussion on Grappling system that isn’t purely based on reaction time within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Grappling system that isn’t purely based on reaction time

Do you guys think that a grappling system that isn’t completely based on your reaction time to deny the transition would improve the gameplay or nah.

Also any ideas on how to implement a system like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: Grappling system that isn’t purely based on reaction time

Yup definitely think it would improve things and also make the game a little more user friendly for new comers. I dropped an idea a few months back on what I think could be done and it was simply to implement a holding system (similar to what UD3 had) into the current system. Here's the ideas...

POSITION HOLDING

I've been thinking about some ideas to implement position holding into EA UFC, without a total overhaul like some are saying. I feel like a total overhaul isn't needed, but just a combination of the best elements from both games (UD3&EA UFC) grappling systems. That said, position holding is something we see a lot when a fight hits the ground in MMA. Fighters trying to maintain position by keeping pressure on a fighter from top, or keeping a tight grip from bottom to maintain control of a top fighters posture. I feel like this is a part of the ground game that's not represented well in EA UFC. So here's how I think it could work in the game, without being like UD3's and more balanced...

How It Works
Firstly, the controls would be simple...block(R2/RT) and hold the right stick left/right to hold position. Position holding will work hand in hand with the current system, so it will just be another option. You'll be able to hold position or deny at your own choice. Also if you're holding position, you'd be able to let go at any time to attempt a denial. Of course you'd have to be denying in time before the opponents transition goes through. The way I see this being implemented into the current EA UFC grappling system is by allowing it in certain positions only. Like more simple positions where we see guys trying to hold position irl. The upside to holding position is it will allow you to block any transition attempts. The downside is that blocking transitions with it won't grant GA (grapple advantage) like denials do and that it will also drain your short term stamina. Once your short term stamina drops below a certain threshold, transitions will automatically get through. This will make position holding more of a thing that has to be used smartly and strategically.

Positions It Could Be Used In
The positions I think holding can be used in are the more basic ones and the ones we see fighters try to hold and maintain irl.

Top Positions
Holding position from top would be able to be done postured down or after you break an opponents posture control.

DOM Full Guard: As you can see in the gif below, guy on top keeping his head/body down on the opponent to maintain pressure, stay heavy and hold position...

Spoiler

Spoiler

DOM Half Guard: In gif A, we see a close up look at head & arm control, which is used a lot in half guard and side control to keep pressure on and hold opponents down to maintain position. Then in gif B, see how the top fighter passes to half guard and right away grabs that same head & arm control, to hold down the opponent and maintain his new position.

A
Spoiler

B
Spoiler

DOM Side Control
Just like in the half guard, head & arm control is used a lot in side control to keep pressure on opponents and maintain position. Below we see it being used by the guy on top to maintain control of his opponent...

Spoiler

These are the three top positions I feel could use position holding. All other more difficult to hold top positions like mount, back mount, crucifix, ect would use strictly directional denials.

Bottom Positions
Now position holding would be more situational from bottom, as you'd only be able to do it when the top fighter's posture is down.

SUB Full Guard
Bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control to try and keep the top guys posture controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Half Guard
Similar to the full guard, bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control to try and keep the top guys posture controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Side Control
Now holding from side control bottom will work a bit differently. You'd only be able to block certain transitions in this position, as you can't really "hold" from here. It would let you put a knee up as the bottom fighter, blocking all transitions in the direction of your body. So that means it'll block mount transition, kimura, ect...

Spoiler

SUB Full Mount
This should really only block posture up or submission attempts by the DOM. We already have holding from sub mount in the game of course, but it doesn't really block the posture up attempts...its like one attempt and they get out. With the position holding, it will be able to block their attempts.
Spoiler

These are the bottom positions that I feel could use position holding. All other bottom positions would use strictly directional denials.

So those are my idea's on how position holding could work. Just some thoughts, as lots of players including myself, miss that aspect of the grappling from UD3 where it had that immersive feel of struggle and trying to control an opponent. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to drop your own ideas and thoughts plz.

Last edited by WarMMA; 04-06-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
MVP

Something like a transition based submission (TBS) system would be ideal.

Another but easier fix would be to shorten the recovery frames on denials.

Then denying a transition would feel more like blocking a strike- no interruption to flow. So we'd be able to chain/combo transitions like strikes without the start and stop nature of denials now.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Yup definitely think it would improve things and also make the game a little more user friendly for new comers. I dropped an idea a few months back on what I think could be done and it was simply to implement a holding system (similar to what UD3 had) into the current system. Here's the ideas...

I've been thinking about some ideas to implement position holding into EA UFC, without a total overhaul like some are saying. I feel like a total overhaul isn't needed, just a combination of the best elements from both grappling systems. That said, position holding is something we see a lot when a fight hits the ground in MMA. Fighters trying to maintain position by keeping pressure on a fighter from top, or keeping a tight grip from bottom to maintain control. I feel like this is a part of the ground game that's not represented well in EA UFC. So here's how I think it could work in the game, without being like UD3's and more balanced...

How It Works
Firstly, the controls would be simple...block and hold the right stick left/right to hold position. Position holding will work hand in hand with the current system, so it will just be another option. You'll be able to hold position or deny at your own choice. Also if you're holding position, you'd be able to let go at any time to attempt a denial. Of course you'd have to be denying in time before the opponents transition goes through. The way I see this being implemented into the current EA UFC grappling system is by allowing it in certain positions only. Like more simple positions where we see guys trying to hold position irl. The upside to holding position is it will allow you to block any transition attempts. The downside is that blocking transitions with it won't grant GA like denials do and that it will also drain your short term stamina. Once your short term stamina drops below a certain threshold, transitions will automatically get through. This will make position holding more of a thing that has to be used strategically.

Positions It Could Be Used In
The positions I think holding can be used in are the more basic ones and the ones we see fighters try to hold and maintain irl.

Top Positions
Holding position from top would be able to be done postured down or after you break an opponents posture control.

DOM Full Guard: As you can see in the gif below, guy on top keeping his head/body down on the opponent to maintain pressure, stay heavy and hold position...

Spoiler

Spoiler

DOM Half Guard: In gif A, we see a close up look at head & arm control, which is used a lot in half guard and side control to keep pressure on and hold opponents down to maintain position. Then in gif B, see how the top fighter passes to half guard and right away grabs that same head & arm control, to hold down the opponent and maintain his new position.

A
Spoiler

B
Spoiler

DOM Side Control
Just like in the half guard, head & arm control is used a lot in side control to keep pressure on opponents and maintain position. Below we see it being used by the guy on top to maintain control of his opponent...

Spoiler

These are the three top positions I feel could use position holding. All other more difficult to hold top positions like mount, back mount, crucifix, ect would use strictly directional denials.

Bottom Positions
Now position holding would be more situational from bottom, as you'd only be able to do it when the top fighter's posture is down.

SUB Full Guard
Bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control from bottom to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Half Guard
Similar to the full guard, bottom fighter would use body locks or head&arm control to try and keep the top guy controlled...

Spoiler

Spoiler

SUB Side Control
Now holding from side control bottom will work a bit differently. You'd only be able to block certain transitions in this position, as you can't really "hold" from here. It would let you put a knee up as the bottom fighter, blocking all transitions in the direction of your body. So that means it'll block mount transition, kimura, ect...

Spoiler

SUB Full Mount
This should really only block posture up attempts by the DOM. We already have holding from mount bottom, but it doesn't really block the posture up attempts...its like one attempt and they get out.
Spoiler

These are the bottom positions that I feel could use position holding. All other bottom positions would use strictly directional denials.

So those are my idea's on how position holding could work. Just some thoughts, as lots of players including myself, miss that aspect of the grappling from UD3 where it had that immersive feel of struggle and trying to control an opponent. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to drop your own ideas and thoughts plz.
I think implementing some kind of wrist grip system would help a lot.

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
I think implementing some kind of wrist grip system would help a lot.

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yh i'd love to see some kind of wrist control system. Probably similar to the one EA MMA had. This, the position holding and minor/micro transitions...essentially quicker transitions with lower stamina cost, but only giving you small advancements in position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Banned

You guys arent controlling your opponents because you dont predeny momentum transitions and fakes and you fling elbows as soon as you posture exposing yourself to grapple da. Very simple
Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
You guys arent controlling your opponents because you dont predeny momentum transitions and fakes and you fling elbows as soon as you posture exposing yourself to grapple da. Very simple
Most players who've been playing this game long enough already know that stuff though. He's not saying he can't control opponents. He's asking if you think the grappling can be improved by having something that isn't just fully based on timing directional denials.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Also the elbows and punches that are to gain grapple advantage but do no actual damage have to go it is the most attrocious thing to watch at least tone it down because it’s not necessary

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »