Home

Thoughts on the jab feint- body cross

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the jab feint- body cross within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Thoughts on the jab feint- body cross

I know this thread may rile up some players, but please read.
First and foremost, I do not consider this combination to be this massive game-altering combo, I always get someone who needs to school me on how to play EA UFC 3 when I bring up a point.

This combination has now become a crux combination for a lot of higher level players. The jab feint acts as a speed buffer for the body cross and allows it to come out at great speeds and cover great distance. It's a very effective tool which is difficult to counter, your counter has be predictive rather than reactive given its speed, high evasion and high recovery, but chances are you will most likely end up missing and gassing more. The best defensive option, in my opinion, are the block counters and movement.

My issue from this doesn't come from a gameplay point as much, but more from a fighting realism perspective. I understand that this is a game, but it does take away from the experience when I see this combination's success rate and high usage. It's uncommon for fighters in MMA to throw a forward moving body cross at the rate and way it's thrown now. Generally, a body cross can be an effective weapon, but it's usually disguised several times in combinations or as a counter to forward movement, and aimed as a power shot to the solar plexus. The body jab is thrown more consistent with the way the jab feint-cross is currently being utilized. Body crosses are also usually thrown with feet planted or against the cage. Conor being an exception to this rule generally.

I would prefer that the damage caused by body crosses be slightly increased and the speed, evasion or recovery be adjusted for the strike. While the body jab can have this function (in the style of JDS-rothwell)

What are your thoughts on the jab feint body cross?

Last edited by UFCBlackbelt; 01-28-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Re: Thoughts on the jab feint- body cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
I know this thread may rile up some players, but please read.
First and foremost, I do not consider this combination to be this massive game-altering combo, I always get someone who needs to school me on how to play EA UFC 3 when I bring up a point.

This combination has now become a crux combination for a lot of higher level players. The jab feint acts as a speed buffer for the body cross and allows it to come out at great speeds and cover great distance. It's a very effective tool which is difficult to counter, your counter has be predictive rather than reactive given its speed, high evasion and high recovery, but chances are you will most likely end up missing and gassing more. The best defensive option, in my opinion, are the block counters and movement.

My issue from this doesn't come from a gameplay point as much, but more from a fighting realism perspective. I understand that this is a game, but it does take away from the experience when I see this combination's success rate and high usage. It's uncommon for fighters in MMA to throw a forward moving body cross at the rate and way it's thrown now. Generally, a body cross can be an effective weapon, but it's usually disguised several times in combinations or as a counter to forward movement, and aimed as a power shot to the solar plexus. The body jab is thrown more consistent with the way the jab feint-cross is currently being utilized. Body crosses are also usually thrown with feet planted or against the cage. Conor being an exception to this rule generally.

I would prefer that the damage caused by body crosses be slightly increased and the speed, evasion or recovery be adjusted for the strike. While the body jab can have this function (in the style of JDS-rothwell)

What are your thoughts on the jab feint body cross?

Remove the speed up from the jab feint. Or, just remove the distance it covers and keep it as normal. I like using the lunging straight to the body as opposed to the regular straight.

Last edited by RomeroXVII; 01-28-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Rookie

it's the Ed Parker special.

a lot of guys in ranked use a wannabe Ed Parker style of fighting. it's really annoying.

Martial Mind said the counter to that specific combo is the front kick to the face when he faced one of them.

Last edited by bogeyj; 01-28-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyj

a lot of guys in ranked use a wannabe Ed Parker style of fighting. it's really annoying.

Martial Mind said the counter to that specific combo is the front kick to the face when he faced one of them.
Or the lead teep to the body , which will hit the face if they commit to the strike, or at the very least, push them back.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
...The best defensive option, in my opinion, are the block counters and movement....
We can only block counters Body Hook or uppercut, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyj

It's hard to counter the body cross when it's sped up. It comes down to timing, but it can dodge head kicks+hooks+jabs+straights while doing stamina and body damage at the same time way too effectively.

If you start trying to mix in uppercuts and front kicks, you better have insane timing because if you start missing these it's only a matter of time before a good opponent gasses you out with dynamic head movement and effective pressure. Good players won't keep pushing out the body cross predictably while you line up a front kick.

Feinting shouldn't speed up the next strike and people are getting way too familiar with this mechanic so I've seen some really goofy **** in ranked lately. If you go into the Traditional combo set and try to see what you can speed up with feints, you will be surprised
Old 01-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc60
It's hard to counter the body cross when it's sped up. It comes down to timing, but it can dodge head kicks+hooks+jabs+straights while doing stamina and body damage at the same time way too effectively.

If you start trying to mix in uppercuts and front kicks, you better have insane timing because if you start missing these it's only a matter of time before a good opponent gasses you out with dynamic head movement and effective pressure. Good players won't keep pushing out the body cross predictably while you line up a front kick.

Feinting shouldn't speed up the next strike and people are getting way too familiar with this mechanic so I've seen some really goofy **** in ranked lately. If you go into the Traditional combo set and try to see what you can speed up with feints, you will be surprised
This.

I could not believe when I saw a Post pop up request that feints get reduced stamina... If we think the feint stuff looks stupid now. Imagine if there was next to no stamina penalty for this silly mechanic.

I think feints and transition fakes need a larger stamina penalty and need to be complete re-engineered for the next game.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThisLife
This.

I could not believe when I saw a Post pop up request that feints get reduced stamina... If we think the feint stuff looks stupid now. Imagine if there was next to no stamina penalty for this silly mechanic.

I think feints and transition fakes need a larger stamina penalty and need to be complete re-engineered for the next game.
Whoa whoa. I only want feints to stop speeding up strikes that naturally come after it in the combo. So, if you feint the jab it speeds up the body hook that comes after it. That's what I don't want to happen.

Feints and transition fakes don't need to cost more stamina. If you make transition fakes more costly, all you get is more stalling on the ground. Fakes are there to advance position. I wouldn't be against feints costing less stamina, but they definitely shouldn't cost more. Could you explain why you think that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »