Home

This video perfectly demonstrates how MAT WRESTLING should look

This is a discussion on This video perfectly demonstrates how MAT WRESTLING should look within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
This video perfectly demonstrates how MAT WRESTLING should look

I’m not trying to sound like a broken track record here. I’m sure pretty much everyone understands the general differences between wrestling and BJJ once on the mat. I just really want to make sure this remains fresh on the developers minds heading into EA UFC 4.

My last post threw around some random ideas - none of them any good. I concede it’s a tough puzzle to solve. I’ve just been throwing out concepts that pop in my head while I try to visualize what “mat wrestling” would look like on an MMA game.

In general, what I (and many others, even if they don’t realize it) want, is to be able to wrestle on the mat. That’s the ultimate idea. I know there’s some confusion and disagreement as to how we should accomplish this, but it’s what we all want.

I think this video by BJJ Study is a PERFECT starting point for tackling this issue. I encourage you to watch the entire thing. It perfectly covers everything we’ve been talking about. It breaks down what a “wrestling meta” looks like, how it works, the advantages it offers, and how it differs from BJJ.

I think the core fundamentals established in this video should be a primary focus in the development of EA UFC 4.

https://youtu.be/fSavYKIEV40
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
MVP

Re: This video perfectly demonstrates how MAT WRESTLING should look

I'd love it, free flowing, real-time grappling, for both wrestling and BJJ, with tons of strategy involved and of course — a comprehensive tutorial. Minor transitions, full on transitions, actions available during those, bailing too, as you suggested in your last thread. Just let the BJJ guys have their stuff going too .

I'd love for wrestling to feel exhausting if you're on the receiving end of a Khabib, GSP, Usman grind. For the players to be able to feel the strength and stamina of these fighters, their weight on top of you when they get their game going. A real grind. I think having a single stamina bar would help that tremendously, as your stamina won't just come back just because you've gotten up or got taken down.

I do think they'll be focusing on that heavily though, everyone and their dog seems to be saying that they find grappling and clinching extremely boring so I imagine they'd really address it.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: This video perfectly demonstrates how MAT WRESTLING should look

Good vid. Through my yrs of watching MMA, i've noticed that wrestlers use more controlling positions than anything. They're a lot about controlling limbs and staying heavy to maintain that top control. Also agree with what Kingslayer is saying. Both styles should have their different viable actions going on. There definitely needs to be more unique transitions/positions for wrestlers though. Right now things are so bjj centric...every fighter is arm dragging from guard like its the norm smh. Specific transitions/positions for wrestlers like back rides, mount with grapevines, leg ties (like we see Khabib do), leg rides, arm traps from top, ect need to be in. And then of course, they need to allow fighters to hold position in certain top/bottom positions. So if you're a wrestler/grappler on top, once you break initial posture control, the position holding would allow you to still kinda "float" around on top like you were saying in the last thread, without fully committing to the position. Here's a few images of the wrestling transitions/positions i'm talking about...

Back Ride Position
This is a still image of Khabib transitioning to back mount, but this is how the position looks irl and how it would look in the game. We see wrestlers do this all the time. They circle around to your back, but don't put hooks in to avoid the chance of being rolled/reversed. They just stay here and ride the position out. This would be a unique position only wrestlers could transition to, from back side or back mount...

Spoiler

Grapevine Mount Position
This would be a unique position certain wrestlers/grapplers can transition to from the full mount position itself. It would be more of a controlling position and less of a position where you could dish out serious damage. I think of it working kind of like how the side saddle works. Like how when you escape the side saddle, you're still stuck in side control...this could work kind of like that. When you escape the grapevines, you'd still be mounted...

Spoiler

Leg Ties
This would be unique position certain wrestlers/grapplers can transition to. Allows you to wrap fighters legs up and make it harder for them to escape. The Khabib special...

Arm Trap Leg Ride Position
This would be a unique position only wrestlers could transition to and it would only be attainable from certain positions like back mount, or back side. Would allow the top fighter to transition to a leg ride position where they trap one of the bottom fighters arms and GnP with their free arm. We see a couple wrestlers using this in the cage like Khabib and Curtis Blaydes. This is also the position Brock Lesnar used to finish Frank Mir in their title fight. I imagine it working sort of like how the crucifix or side saddle works, except the bottom fighter has one arm free to use to attack or try to escape with...

Takedown to Back Side Control
This could be another unique transition for certain wrestlers/grapplers from the back clinch position. It would allow you to take your opponent down straight into back side control. And on a side note, this game also needs back clinch against the cage and back side control against the cage the cage as actual positions...

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just a few idea's I had floating around.

Last edited by WarMMA; 10-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »