Home

Straight punch —> over/under clinch entry

This is a discussion on Straight punch —> over/under clinch entry within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Straight punch —> over/under clinch entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningxspirit
Normally, I welcome 98% of players to clinch with me..but then I saw who made the topic. Dear god....that's a nightmare to deal with facing him using this tactic 😱

I'm gonna add this to my arsenal for sure
You would benefit greatly from this. You would also benefit from picking higher rated fighters, lol, but that’s another story entirely.

Just gonna take this moment to give you another shoutout, since it’s absolutely dope that you use strictly lower rated fighters.

Since Undisputed 3, Burning Spirit has used exclusively low rated fighters to play in ranked. He also fights very realistically, using the fighters he picked exactly how they fight in real life. It’s incredibly dope, and I have a particular level of respect for him because I also enjoy using fighters realistically... but I would never have the balls to do it in ranked against top level players.

And he’s actually very good. He’s always been a top 100 on every MMA game... in fact, I believe he’s top 10 on EA UFC 3 now, which is absolutely ridiculous when you realize he picks C tier fighters in almost every weightclass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #26
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
If this was just ~ "a good set up to get into the clinch", that would actually be cool.

However this entire post is advocating and describing how you can literally do the same exact thing repeatedly, non stop, with almost no draw back, even if you mess up or get denied. You just keep on spamming(in OPs own words) and youll cause so much disruption it will eventually work.

That's spam. Thats cheese. Thats exploit.
Brother I’m sorry but I just don’t agree with you at all. And I’m not even one of those guys who defends every game mechanic under the logic of “learn to defend it bro”.

I openly ratted myself out on EA UFC 1 when I discovered a way to bypass the block from sidecontrol, and BEGGED for it to be removed.

The “r defense” from the clinch in EA UFC 1 was outright broken and I also petitioned for that to be removed. That WAS broken, and there literally was no escape from it. Here’s me playing against LFC_Rob, an extremely high level player (arguably top 3 along with me and kenetic at that time):

https://youtu.be/9aFEND7XGfY

The entire match was literally a contest of trying to get to the MT clinch so we could use the “r defense” exploit.

Those things were ACTUAL exploits. There WASN’T a way to deal with it. It wasn’t just “ohhh it’s hard, but if you’re skilled enough, you can deal with it”. No. That **** was outright broken to hell.

EA UFC 2 didn’t have any major exploits, but there were a few mechanics I would have considered to be OP and frankly ridiculous. I forget the exact meta, but there were certain parries and hit stuns that allowed you to land 2 consecutive head kicks. Yes, there were ways to avoid that situation in general, but I would have considered that to be cheese because it was still ridiculously OP.

Now, the 2 —-> over/under entry? It is not spam, or cheese, or an exploit. The word “spam”, in my use of it, is simply a means of emphasizing the fact that it can be used with frequency, without the same stamina ramifications as actual takedown attempts. So in comparison to takedown attempts, you can sort of “spam” these clinch entries. But by no means is it an exploit. It’s just an effective strategy - in my opinion the most effective strategy - for imposing your grappling on someone.

It is not something where you can, as you say, “do the exact same thing repeatedly”. If I literally walked forward and just went for a 2-clinch entry over and over again, I wouldn’t last a round. Even you might be able to beat me if I did that.

There are so many counters and drawbacks to this clinch entry. To name a few:

- The 2 itself can be slip countered

- By looking for this clinch entry, you severely limit your striking arsenal by placing too heavy of an emphasis on 2s

- The clinch attempt itself can be denied, RT+up, let’s not forget that

- It’s almost impossible to use this tactic with any level of frequency, without establishing a predictable rhythm which can be picked up on, and subsequently lead to your complete and utter annihilation.

- The brief period between the 2 and the over/under is an extremely vulnerable period. This is honestly the deal breaker for why this tactic is not OP. Maybe it’s something about the animation of the over/under entry itself, IDK, but any strike your opponent lands will completely mess up your entry. If it’s a good uppercut, you’re toast.

- As a result of the aforementioned vulnerability, your opponent can anticipate the entry after you throw a two and throw a RISK-FREE uppercut every time.

- Any back-stepping strike you throw whilst I attempt this clinch entry will cause me to hug the air in a super corny, slow animation. Even if the back-stepping strike misses, it’ll get you to safety

- If you’re mid combo whilst I attempt the 2-over/under I’m gonna get smoked. I have to wait until the combo is entirely over, or try and scheme some way to block a strike then clinch right away without throwing the 2 (still a risky endeavor).

- There IS still a notable stamina drain for this. Just because I say it’s not as bad as TD attempts, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I “spammed” these entries on Jigsaw throughout the first round of our five round fight, and was completely gassed by round 2. I actually rage quit in the third round, lawlz. Hopefully no one’s read this far cause that’s embarrassing to admit.

- Not to mention, it’s not like this leads to some super OP position. Think about it, genius. If I successfully gain this clinch entry, I end up in... A NEUTRAL POSITION! Over/under is a completely neutral position. I’m at least two transitions away from gaining any sort of advantageous position, which makes the position completely neutral. Even if you’re not that good at grappling, you can **** up TWICE before ending up in a bad spot. I mean, if you’re so bad that an over/under is gonna be game over, you were gonna lose anyways. Can’t really blame the clinch entry. Sooner or later it was gonna end up in a grappling situation and you were gonna get exposed.

- And just in general, people can still beat you when you do this. Again, Jigsaw denies these on reaction. I know, he’s an exception when it comes to reaction based denials... I believe the University of Pennsylvania did a study on him and discovered that he takes methamphetamine before his matches. Nonetheless, I got literally nowhere against him. There are other people who deny these well too. I think pryoxis or something? IDK, I don’t play much anymore despite being a (probably) top 5 player skill-wise on Xbox, so I don’t know who’s who, but there are players who can stop my clinch entries at a high rate. Even some randoms in quick match have surprised me with their clinch attempt denials.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler

And he’s actually very good. He’s always been a top 100 on every MMA game... in fact, I believe he’s top 10 on EA UFC 3 now, which is absolutely ridiculous when you realize he picks C tier fighters in almost every weightclass.
Thanks for the shout man, I dont exclusively use C levels anymore but you will never catch me using a DC,Cain or any other of the popular fighters. If I accidentally picked one of them... I'd probably just say **** the points and take an L. i just always despised seeing the same top tier fighters over and over.Chael is my main and a C+ on paper but when used right hes an A.

You would be top 5 if you played more, you and Jigsaw have top of the food chain fight IQ 👌
Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningxspirit
Thanks for the shout man, I dont exclusively use C levels anymore but you will never catch me using a DC,Cain or any other of the popular fighters. If I accidentally picked one of them... I'd probably just say **** the points and take an L. i just always despised seeing the same top tier fighters over and over.Chael is my main and a C+ on paper but when used right hes an A.

You would be top 5 if you played more, you and Jigsaw have top of the food chain fight IQ 👌
You use haptic feedback.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
You use haptic feedback.
I already face him sometimes with an alternate, Manuwa vs Gus most of the time, I don’t think he use
Old 06-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #30
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Why are you so hung up on his cute marketing pitch? "The guy himself said so" has to be one of the weaker arguments so far. You've yet to present a counter to philly's suggestion to the slip straight.
^ This

You have to understand "Good grapplers" sense of humor. What he is suggesting here is annoying to deal with but completely doable.

You could even argue that its OP, but guess what? You will ALWAYS have OP moves/strategies. VERY rarely do games ever completely eliminate anything thats OP. Because as soon as you do, something else becomes OP organically.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:12 AM   #31
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
This is literally the most underrated tactic in the entire game. You can literally grind with this entry for an entire match and break someone. Even if they deny them, you completely shut down their ability to strike comfortably because they’re always worried about the clinch entry off the 2.

And you don’t have to be conservative with them either. It’s not like with shots, where two consecutive fails is gonna have a significant detrimental impact on you. I hate to use the word spam... but you can almost spam these entries.

Sometimes you can even just pop one off naked (or after some random strike like a hook or something), but generally you should lead with a 2. Just seems to make the entry smoother and faster. And it doesn’t even need to be a forward moving 2... it can be stationary or side moving. I like to hold block, then suddenly throw a lateral two and instant over/under entry.

And again, a denial (however unlikely it is) isn’t the end of the world. I mean you probably won’t be getting denied unless your opponent is Jigsaw or someone like that, who’s surgically implanted a carrot into their buttocks in order to increase reaction time. But even if they do deny, it’s all good. Just reset, throw a couple punches, and try again.

Sometimes clinching off the 2 can become predictable, so you can remedy this by trying some of the following examples:

- One two, don’t clinch. One, head movement, disengage. One, brief pause... two clinch (mix up timing, basically).

- Randomly stand still and block some strikes, then clinch.

- Randomly stand still and use some head movement, fake a TD then clinch.

- Fake a straight punch, block for a second, clinch

- Etc, Etc, Brotherman
Ah, I use these tactics as well. I generally use the lunging jab or straight into a clinch as well to freak them out. This works well on guys who are uncomfortable in the clinch, they'll kill their own stamina trying to do a bunch of unnecessary fakes and transitions.

This isn't even remotely OP, only somebody who freaks out over every little thing or doesn't know how to react accordingly would consider this OP.

Hilarious how people would complain about not being able to clinch to slow down pressure, and then when they have a very solid viable option to do so, they try to call it an exploit.

Exploits are things that are game breaking, aren't intended, and forces the meta into a specific playstyle that will always be forced into certain exchanges.

I will always call for the jab body Straight bypass to be fixed because when you time the feint or combo correctly it bypasses the range reduction that was done to it in Season 2, I consider THAT an exploit.

When simply moving your Analog stick for head movement in a circle would leave you invulnerable to all body strikes and drain an absurd amount of stamina from causing your opponent to whiff only TWO Strikes, that's an exploit.

I've broken Khabib's on stream with Poirier who've tried relentlessly clinching me with these tactics as well, it's not that effective when you know that's the only thing your opponent is going for too.

TL;DR these are DC Clinch Tactics that I'm okay with lol.

Last edited by RomeroXVII; 06-15-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
Ah, I use these tactics as well. I generally use the lunging jab or straight into a clinch as well to freak them out. This works well on guys who are uncomfortable in the clinch, they'll kill their own stamina trying to do a bunch of unnecessary fakes and transitions.

This isn't even remotely OP, only somebody who freaks out over every little thing or doesn't know how to react accordingly would consider this OP.

Hilarious how people would complain about not being able to clinch to slow down pressure, and then when they have a very solid viable option to do so, they try to call it an exploit.

Exploits are things that are game breaking, aren't intended, and forces the meta into a specific playstyle that will always be forced into certain exchanges.

I will always call for the jab body Straight bypass to be fixed because when you time the feint or combo correctly it bypasses the range reduction that was done to it in Season 2, I consider THAT an exploit.

When simply moving your Analog stick for head movement in a circle would leave you invulnerable to all body strikes and drain an absurd amount of stamina from causing your opponent to whiff only TWO Strikes, that's an exploit.

I've broken Khabib's on stream with Poirier who've tried relentlessly clinching me with these tactics as well, it's not that effective when you know that's the only thing your opponent is going for too.

TL;DR these are DC Clinch Tactics that I'm okay with lol.
If a lunging punch lands clean it’s a free kick of your choice or anything that has the same amount of frames. Lunging punch takedown is king

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »