Home

Masvidal/Askren (No Spoilers)

This is a discussion on Masvidal/Askren (No Spoilers) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Masvidal/Askren (No Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
I'm curious as to if there is any way you guys can tune strike power on certain single strikes (heavy strikes) to where we could see more one shot KO's from them? Like certain strikes like overhands, headkicks, ect, or strikes of high lvl.
I'd be in favor of this, but only if they also balanced the stamina side.

Ngannou was absolutely drained when Stipe avoided the one shot KO early. But he's absolutely devastating when he finds it (see Dos Santos, Cain and Blaydes fights).

It should look and feel like that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
This is because in real life, power very rarely carries late into the fight. A guy like Ngannou, or Rumble Johnson, or Lineker and those one hitter quitter types like them, they aren't those guys in Round 2 and Round 3.

These guys go to decision when they can no longer knock someone out, and they often lose because they can't win a technical fight on points round over round.

And most guys aren't like that at all. They are closer to what we have now, but probably with even less KO power.

Power should be feast or famine, with the famine side being able to pull it off with technique and circumstances only.

I'm not sure if the actual fight results back that up. Lineker has 14 career KOs. 9 occured after the first (4 in the 3rd). Derrick Lewis has 18 Kos. 11 occured after the first (3 of his last 4 after the 2nd round). For some your statement is true like Ngannou and Johnson but not for other power hitters.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm not sure if the actual fight results back that up. Lineker has 14 career KOs. 9 occured after the first (4 in the 3rd). Derrick Lewis has 18 Kos. 11 occured after the first (3 of his last 4 after the 2nd round). For some your statement is true like Ngannou and Johnson but not for other power hitters.
To elaborate it's not so much the result on the official scorecard I'm talking about either. I'm more referring to the ability to one shot KO someone potentially, regardless of stamina, damage, circumstances like counter windows, etc...

But you make a point I hadn't thought of.

There is definitely a variety to heavy hitters. I just think there is a strong correlation with the heaviest hitters like Ngannou and Johnson. They have truly special power but it comes with a real life balancing mechanism that should be replicated in the game, terrible stamina.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #36
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
I'm curious as to if there is any way you guys can tune strike power on certain single strikes (heavy strikes) to where we could see more one shot KO's from them? Like certain strikes like overhands, headkicks, ect, or strikes of high lvl.
Yes, that's easy to do. But it's also extremely risky in terms of balance.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Maybe in a sim mode
Old 07-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #38
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Yh I figure it would be. But if you guys did that, do you think it would be possible to find a kind of happy medium? Like where one shot KO's can happen more from naked strikes, but at the same time it's not overkill. Or would ramping up the power tip the balance scales too much, to where that happy medium couldn't be found?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:06 AM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Why not use a power modifier?

The D-Pad is used only for taunts so D-Pad direction + a modifier could enter the power stance. It can then knock people out cold and do more damage to the block but it will take more stamina per shot (that includes whiffing and hitting the block) and be a bit slower because you load up. Then, if you are unsuccessful in trying to take someone's head off you'll be quite gassed.

I'm thinking about how some fighters only have a power stance and nothing else and block breaking isn't a thing for them. Perhaps guys like Lewis, Woodley, should only have the power stance to prevent combo pressure and block breaking from those guys. Perhaps Max Holloway shouldn't even have this power stance. Etc, etc.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
Why not use a power modifier?

The D-Pad is used only for taunts so D-Pad direction + a modifier could enter the power stance. It can then knock people out cold and do more damage to the block but it will take more stamina per shot (that includes whiffing and hitting the block) and be a bit slower because you load up. Then, if you are unsuccessful in trying to take someone's head off you'll be quite gassed.

I'm thinking about how some fighters only have a power stance and nothing else and block breaking isn't a thing for them. Perhaps guys like Lewis, Woodley, should only have the power stance to prevent combo pressure and block breaking from those guys. Perhaps Max Holloway shouldn't even have this power stance. Etc, etc.
I think you're onto something there. The ability to switch stances, and also having certain stances available to some fighters and not others, could add a lot of depth to the game while at the same time helping with this power issue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »