Home

How to use takedown fakes PROPERLY

This is a discussion on How to use takedown fakes PROPERLY within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How to use takedown fakes PROPERLY

disclaimer: I wish I knew a nice and easy way to add GIFs to this site. My last post “clinch tips”, I’m ashamed to admit, took like ~20 minutes PER GIF to add. I had no clue what I was doing.

So just take my word for the sequences I explain here, I’ll explain them exactly how they work in the game. You shouldn’t need GIFs to visualize what I’m gonna tell you. Just trust that these things are (extremely) effective when used in the exact way I explain them.

OK so basically, takedown fakes are THE TRUTH and THE WAY. Currently, if you’re not using TD fakes, your offensive grappling isn’t as good as it could be.

NO ONE uses TD fakes properly. Maybe one or two players have a slight idea of how to use them, but no one’s using them right.

TD fakes, along with CLINCH TURNS (described in my “clinch tips” post), are the two key things to add to your grappling at this stage of the game.

In this post, I will explain all I can about how to use them properly. I will refer to this philosophy as the “TD fake meta”.

So a couple things about TD fakes first:

Certain fighter movesets are preferable to use the TD fake meta. You preferably want your fighter to have
A) a double leg
B) an over/under clinch entry

Some examples of fighters who DO NOT have these movesets are GSP and Ferguson.

Some examples of fighters who DO have these movesets are DC, Colby, and Sonnen.

So here’s the idea. Using a TD fake is a fantastic way to create openings, and mess with your opponents rhythm. Way better than you thought.

I’m going to just bulletpoint some situations where a TD fake helps you in a fight. I will list specific examples of in-fight sequences, pretend these are GIFs because I will explain them exactly as they work.

Strike stuff:
- Double leg fake, immediate front kick to the face
- Double leg fake, immediate overhand
- Double leg fake, immediate advancing jab hook
- Double leg fake, stationary jab upper hook

Grapple stuff:
- Double leg fake, immediate over/under entry (personal fave)
- Double leg fake, head punches, immediate over under entry
- Double leg fake, committed double leg

Deep stuff:
- Double leg fake, jab fake, double leg fake, jab hook
- Advancing jab, fake hook, fake double leg, clinch entry
- (Near the cage) double leg fake, overhand, commited double leg
- After a bunch of the stuff above, just go for a straight up double leg without setting it up

Basically, double leg fakes are your friend. Your opponent will almost always input some sort of denial which stops their offense briefly and creates temporary vulnerability. Often times, players will input some unintentional head sway as a result of the TD denial input. Analyze and react accordingly.

AND LASTLY, DEVS, MAKE TD FAKES MORE USEFUL IN THE NEXT GAME. THERE IS CURRENTLY TOO LONG OF A DELAY BETWEEN INPUTTING A TD FAKE, AND BEING ABLE TO THROW A STRIKE. THIS DELAY IS AWKWARD AND CLUNKY AND ALLOWS OPPONENTS TO GET OFF THE HOOK.

Have a nice day everyone. Hope you have a great week. If you’re interested in a spar, message me on xbox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: How to use takedown fakes PROPERLY

100% Agree on the delay. I was also one of those people who brought that up in a thread when it was first introduced in the update. Would love for that to be fixed. Feels awkward in the game.

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

Old 07-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Good thread. Copy-past from my Guide:

Quote:
FEINT TAKEDOWN (FEINT TD):
[during any TD’s startup beginning, after any TD input but not too early] (may holding) (better to click R2 or may holding L2+R2 to prevent GDA from holding High Blocking) Block (R2 or L2+R2) – any TD cancel into Feint. Some Undeniable TDs can NOT be Feinted (cancelled). NO Clinch attempt cancel into Feint TD (not cancellable)!
Feint TD has NOT any effect on follow up move or strike attributes: no speed or damage multipliers. Also b/c: TD has built in Evasion, that doesn't scale with Head movement (Sway) ratings like the FWD Sway does (to not make TD Feints be more effective than FWD Sway, otherwise we'd risk reverting back to FWD Sway Uppercut hell but with TD feints Uppercut instead).
Feint TD does NOT counted as a TD in post-fight Statistics in TD thrown quantity (from 1.09).
Feint TD ST Stamina cost - is much less than the full completed/attempted TD ST Stamina cost.
Usage:
+ setup my Clinch attempt: by baiting a TD denial from the opponent, and [just after my Feint TD immediately, before the opponent is able to switch from TD denial to a Clinch denial] input a Clinch.
+ to get your Block up faster if you realize you made a mistake
+ you can cancel into Feint (to bait)
- Feint TD does still carry the increased Vulnerability of a TD, so if my opponent doesn’t bite on my Feint TD, then I am risking getting considerable damage if he land a Strike on me during my Feint TD.
- you can NOT queue up (buffering) a TD cancel in a Combo or follow up Strike to try and bait an opponent’s Sway/Step and catch your opponent, b/c of large delay
- you can NOT queue (buffering) a TD cancel into any Step
- you can queue (buffering) a TD cancel from any Step.
Red bolded text - things which (i agree) needs to be changed:
1) TD Feints irl could be as a bait - for this NO DELAY must to be after them in queue.

2) Followed Strikes must to be BOOSTED (dmg or speed) as we have in Hard combos but FOR SOME FIGHTERS, NOT for all as a core mechanics (i.e. those must ot be a listed Hard Combos for some fighters in Move list). More INDIVIDUALITY for fighters (as is said before i am hope UFC 4 will be based more on the "each fighter is unique and different in almost all").

3) Needs balancing by increasing EVEN MORE Vulnerability during getting hit on TD feints animation.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

TDs have been overly complicated for no reason in this game if not just nonsensical at times. They just need to bring back common sense/realistic takedown windows like before. This is great info but it should never take this much explaining to properly do this. And you’re right, the delays and input in general needs fixing badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Banned

Td fake into lunging jab into double leg
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »