Home

Will there be a beta in Nov/Dec?

This is a discussion on Will there be a beta in Nov/Dec? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Will there be a beta in Nov/Dec?

When UFC 3 was being released there was a private beta that I think was given to people on here and Reddit. Is there any info on whether or not that’ll be happening again?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Will there be a beta in Nov/Dec?

All we know about the game so far is that Jon Anik recorded commentary in april and that DC was in Vancouver last weekend to probably also do commentary. Thats all we know.

There should be more than one beta considering how good it was for the game last time. Its the best for a game when many people play it before release. The UFC 3 beta went open for everybody after a couple days. More testing means more room for improvements.

Do beta testing pls.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Absolutely need an Open Beta that lasts at least 5 days.

Hoping they'll have a 'closed Beta' (that's not very restrictive) and a month or two later, an Open Beta or even Demo that allows online play for several weeks before launch of official title.

No need to launch the game to the public w/ a bunch of easily fixable exploits/bugs .... the head movement Cheeze from UFC 3 Launch, and the Spinning Bull**** Cheeze from UFC 2 Launch, come to mind as things that never should have made the launch game, and did irrepairable damage to the game's brand with the general public.
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Absolutely need an Open Beta that lasts at least 5 days.

Hoping they'll have a 'closed Beta' (that's not very restrictive) and a month or two later, an Open Beta or even Demo that allows online play for several weeks before launch of official title.

No need to launch the game to the public w/ a bunch of easily fixable exploits/bugs .... the head movement Cheeze from UFC 3 Launch, and the Spinning Bull**** Cheeze from UFC 2 Launch, come to mind as things that never should have made the launch game, and did irrepairable damage to the game's brand with the general public.
Serious question:

Do you think a 5 day beta wouldve been enough time to identify that cheese? I recall that it was at least a 2 weeks before we heard those complaints.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Serious question:

Do you think a 5 day beta wouldve been enough time to identify that cheese? I recall that it was at least a 2 weeks before we heard those complaints.
It definitely takes awhile for the degenerates of the community to find the 'best' exploits, and for that to propagate lol so that's a fair point for sure.

I suppose that's why I'd like to see the Beta in two stages. The first would be pretty limited and focused on finding game-breaking bugs, crashes and other issues (not as focused on gameplay balancing). This one could be open for a long weekend, then shutdown.

Second stage would be an open Beta/Demo that comes out at a month before Launch, with ability to play online up until launch (or at least close to launch date).

We'd be able to spend a few weeks with the Demo Build to give feedback, and Day 1 Patch/Hotfix could fix a lot of immediate issues. Or at least allow EA to have a running start!

It's a business decision of course --- open betas/etc. aren't cheap and idk if EA would even allow a Beta/Demo to run for a month straight.

Even so, there will always be issues at Launch which I definitely understand, but the longer the Beta the better (and if we can get a Closed Beta followed a month or two by an Open Beta...it can only help)
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
It definitely takes awhile for the degenerates of the community to find the 'best' exploits, and for that to propagate lol so that's a fair point for sure.

I suppose that's why I'd like to see the Beta in two stages. The first would be pretty limited and focused on finding game-breaking bugs, crashes and other issues (not as focused on gameplay balancing). This one could be open for a long weekend, then shutdown.

Second stage would be an open Beta/Demo that comes out at a month before Launch, with ability to play online up until launch (or at least close to launch date).

We'd be able to spend a few weeks with the Demo Build to give feedback, and Day 1 Patch/Hotfix could fix a lot of immediate issues. Or at least allow EA to have a running start!

It's a business decision of course --- open betas/etc. aren't cheap and idk if EA would even allow a Beta/Demo to run for a month straight.

Even so, there will always be issues at Launch which I definitely understand, but the longer the Beta the better (and if we can get a Closed Beta followed a month or two by an Open Beta...it can only help)
Lets say they go with your idea. A month before release there is an open beta that goes until release date:

- It takes work to create a beta so the version of the beta is always a poor representation of the game. The beta version is always at least a month or so older than the current version that they are working on. So the users are likely identifying bugs that have already been addressed or fixed.

- Lets say the beta is released on feb 1 and the game is released on March 1. The only feedback that will be in a day 1 patch is likely to be feedback from the first 2 weeks because it takes a few weeks to fix the bugs and submit the the patch for cert. So most of the feedback wont be in the retail version of the game until the day 30 patch.

- Also as you said, EA will never have an open beta 30 days before a game is released. To many opportunities for people to record and upload bugs/glitches online and lead to negative press. That will absolutely step on their promotion.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Thanks for pouring cold water on my idea lol jk you definitely make sense.

I didn't realize a Beta would already be 1-month older than "Current Build" ... figured it'd be a couple weeks, but if it's a month or more, that definitely makes a big difference.

How about this to meet in the middle:

Assuming release of March 1

* 5-Day Closed Beta Dec. 1 to Dec 5 ---- focused on Bugs

* 2+ week Open Beta beginning Jan 15 and ending early February ---- focused on Gameplay Balance

* Blackout period from early Feb to March 1st --- to keep EA and the PR people happy lol

* By March 1st....some of the feedback from the Open Beta in late January could already be part of Day 1 patch; and by April 1st, late feedback from Beta + Early Feedback from Launch could be integrated --- plus a hotfix or two along the way --- and we'd be rolling!

I will give credit to EA for having Betas in the past, they've helped a lot. Just hoping they will consider expanding it a bit more...if only by an additional week.

Will be particularly important if they make major changes to grappling/clinch....since it'll take people many days (even weeks) to figure out the controls, let alone exploits!

ahhhhh man I'm already getting pumped for UFC 4 lol.....
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
It definitely takes awhile for the degenerates of the community to find the 'best' exploits
Hey, I took that offensively. It doesn’t take me awhile, I usually find them pretty quickly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »