Home

How is transition priority determined?

This is a discussion on How is transition priority determined? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How is transition priority determined?

I'm back after a year or so off this game, and I see it's still broken and completely unplayable on a competitive level for a myriad of reasons. Despite this, I'm having fun casually playing ranked, quitting lagged matches without caring about record, etc.

One thing is really annoying me though...

How the hell is transition priority determined? If 2 players pre-input a transition, who wins? It's clearly not based on stamina or speed/difficulty of transition...

I was on top, blocked transitions until he had literally ZERO stamina, and I was completely full. Then he hit a transition to standing over/under clinch. While that animation was playing out, I pre-input R1+up for the throw. Well, my yellow meter NEVER EVEN BEGAN TO FILL, yet he threw me in less than a second, with ZERO stamina while I was FULL.

Same situation happens regularly on ground and in clinch. No clue when to try to deny, or when I can pre-input transitions...

Any insights here?

Thanks,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Re: How is transition priority determined?

Some transitions don't exchanges with others. Also, is R1 + Up the actual input you tried, or was it a typo? Did you mean L2, instead of R1?

If you find a situation where a (non-instant) transition doesn't let you exchange AND starts before yours, even though you have more stamina, then I'd very much like to know about it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Pro

You can’t pre-input transitions, ever. So in your example of your opponent transitioning to standing over/under, you shouldn’t be inputting the throw while that animation is still playing out. You should wait until you have entered the new position before attempting the throw.

All this being said, you also need to remember that it if your opponent starts a transition, that transition must be denied. Instead of just trying to “power through” their transition with a transition of your own, deny theirs first. As soon as their transition has been denied, you have priority, assuming you transition immediately.

There are some transitions that are designed to be dynamic (you and your opponent can transition simultaneously and there is a unique animation to show this). Such as passing to sidecontrol while your opponent attempts to take your back from HG. But even in those cases, it’s best to just deny THEN transition.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
You can’t pre-input transitions, ever. So in your example of your opponent transitioning to standing over/under, you shouldn’t be inputting the throw while that animation is still playing out. You should wait until you have entered the new position before attempting the throw.

All this being said, you also need to remember that it if your opponent starts a transition, that transition must be denied. Instead of just trying to “power through” their transition with a transition of your own, deny theirs first. As soon as their transition has been denied, you have priority, assuming you transition immediately.

There are some transitions that are designed to be dynamic (you and your opponent can transition simultaneously and there is a unique animation to show this). Such as passing to sidecontrol while your opponent attempts to take your back from HG. But even in those cases, it’s best to just deny THEN transition.
Pre-inputting transitions is possible.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Yep, typo before.

You can most definitely pre-input transitions, and you can attempt to transition during someone else's, and can be successful depending on timing, difficulty, stamina, and grapple advantage.

This guy and I both pre-input the throw. His completed seemingly before the standup animation completed, meanwhile mine NEVER STARTED. All this while I was full stam and he was literally zero.

This is a common occurrence for me. I'm almost sure it's missed inputs caused by lag, which is why I quit playing this game a year ago. I have a fiber connection and no problems with any other game, this one just straight up doesn't work for me. Missed inputs, tons of strike landing sounds that aren't even animated, motion blur, "waiting on opponent", etc etc.

Was hoping there's some explanation other than lag.

Thanks for responses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #6
Banned

My favorite pre input transition was always... Guard to half guard, and then pre input to mount. Its really quick.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Pre-inputting transitions is possible.
What do you mean by pre - inputting ? Are you talking about pre loafing transitions or what ?

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
Rookie

Correct, holding the next transition direction during animation frames, so that once the animation completes, you're instantly attempting another transition.

This seems to help combat the lag.

Related question: What determines strike vs transition priority? Sometimes a guy with zero stam can fake transition indefinitely to avoid being hit at all. Not sure if lag or what, but even when I know it's coming, it's sometimes impossible to block. He can keep flicking the stick and stay safe indefinitely with no stam.

It's tough to get an idea of when you can slip in a strike, then try to transition block, vs go for a block, then strike. Especially in clinch positions, where a lot of the timing feels off/weird to me.

I've got a hunch that anyone who finds this game truly capable of being played at a competitive level is on a PS4 Pro with a gaming monitor. Only thing left I can thing of is a hardware problem on my end. I've been among the best grapplers in past UFC games, and I've given up on it as my primary offense in this game. Yet people that barely know the buttons can hold me down at times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »